Bynum throwing shots at Bean

Options
Copper
Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
Andrew Bynum played seven seasons with Kobe Bryant as his teammate before being traded to the Philadelphia 76ers this summer. He shared success with his fellow prep-to-pros product, making three NBA Finals, winning two championships and even both being named All-Stars last season.

But by the end of his time in L.A., Bynum felt that Bryant's ball-dominant ways hurt his development as one of the league's best centers.

"I thought it really helped me a lot obviously at first, because he draws so much attention it's hard for guys to double team and key on you, so it helped me tremendously," Bynum told a group of L.A. reporters before the Lakers played the Sixers on Sunday. "Later, I felt I was able to get the ball more and do more things with the ball, so I could definitely see how it could stunt growth."

Despite not logging a minute with his new team yet because of knee problems, Bynum still has a very high opinion of where he currently ranks among the game's big men.

"Personally I think they traded No. 1 for No. 2," Bynum said, referring to the Lakers acquiring the 27-year-old Dwight Howard as the major part of the four-team exchange that landed him in Philly.

The 25-year-old Bynum warned that Howard will have to get used to the balancing act of playing alongside Bryant.

"I think Dwight is a great player, but he's going to have to get accustomed to playing with Kobe and not touching the ball every single play," Bynum said.

Of course, Howard is getting the chance to make those adjustments by being on the court. He hasn't missed a game all season after undergoing back surgery in the offseason. Bynum, meanwhile, has yet to suit up for the Sixers but sounded optimistic about his health on Sunday.

"Actually I'm feeling better and the pain is down in both knees, which is good," Bynum said. "But, there could be something floating around in there."

Bynum has an MRI scheduled for Thursday in New York City to examine both of his knees. He said his right knee has improved considerably, but he is still feeling discomfort in his left one.

"The update really is I'm feeling much better, I would say, than the initial state of injury," Bynum said, detailing how he has been able to add shooting drills to his rehab process. "When I see the doctor, hopefully I will be cleared for impact."

Bynum has yet to be able to run, however.

"I'm going to have to work extremely hard to get back into form," said Bynum who also revealed that he wasn't sure if his offseason trip to Germany to receive Orthokine therapy helped him or hurt him. "Obviously I've been off for quite some time now. It's kind of ridiculous. But, I'm just looking forward to getting back on the treadmill and running for the first time this entire summer."

Bynum could still not pinpoint the exact stress that caused his knees to become hurt in the offseason, noting that whatever happened came during his regular offseason training regimen.

"I don't think it was avoidable," Bynum said. "I just think it's something I have to go through."

While Bynum has been sidelined, he's paid attention to the struggles of his former team. However, the only teammate he's kept in touch with is Pau Gasol and he also hasn't spoken to Howard since the trade.

"They're just struggling," Bynum said of the Lakers' 10-14 start to the season. "They got injuries and they're not posting the ball, so, that's tough too."

Bynum wasn't done there.

"They got to make a commitment to defense, No. 1, and No. 2, I think they're going to have to post the ball within a system that's going to do that," he said. "Obviously the talent is there to win a championship from a starter's point of view, anyway. I think they struggle a little bit off the bench, so that kind of hurts, too."

Bynum said he has "no regrets" about the path that led him out of L.A. He added "my time is done there" and that the location of where he plays isn't as important to him as him being healthy enough to allow him to play.

"It doesn't really matter to me where I play as long as I get to," Bynum said.

The Lakers play the Sixers again New Year's Day, so it is very unlikely Bynum will get the opportunity to play against the only other team he's played for in his eight-year career.

"You want to play against your old team always," Bynum said. "It's just a shame. I don't know when I'll be back. I guess I'm just excited to play any game at this point."

Comments

• Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The 25-year-old Bynum warned that Howard will have to get used to the balancing act of playing alongside Bryant.

"I think Dwight is a great player, but he's going to have to get accustomed to playing with Kobe and not touching the ball every single play," Bynum said.

Lol
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bynums an idiot,.. i just read this..
  • Copper
    edited December 2012
    Options
    "Personally I think they traded No. 1 for No. 2," Bynum said, referring to the Lakers acquiring the 27-year-old Dwight Howard as the major part of the four-team exchange that landed him in Philly.

Bynum AKA cotton knees actually thinks hes the best Center in the L though
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited December 2012
    Options
    In b4 the capin and feelings

Too late

That's Shaq,Pau, and now bynum who all have complained about playing wit this guy Nuff said

That's why Lebron>>>>>>Kobe
  • blackjack2012
    blackjack2012 Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think they beefin because they was just smiling and laughing after the game.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think they were shots, but he spoke his mind and kept it real. His comments about playing with Kobe meant that he had less defensive pressure just proves what i have been saying back when Shaq was there. Kobe made Shaq successful by being a all around threat on offense. Remember them games where Shaq did not play because he was hurt? If Kobe was not their to carry them to the finals then the Lakers don't repeat. ? Shaq better had been finals MVP when he did not play until the finals.
  • Copper
    Options
    theres some truth to what he has to say though...

what does kwame have to say about this??
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    I don't think they were shots, but he spoke his mind and kept it real. His comments about playing with Kobe meant that he had less defensive pressure just proves what i have been saying back when Shaq was there. Kobe made Shaq successful by being a all around threat on offense. Remember them games where Shaq did not play because he was hurt? If Kobe was not their to carry them to the finals then the Lakers don't repeat. ? Shaq better had been finals MVP when he did not play until the finals.

The underlined proves you didn't watch the games when shaq was there.It was the other way around shaq was drawing doubles/had the whole defense collapsing on him and kobe had the free reign

And the games shaq didn't play in when he was hurt the lakers were 10-27.Kobe never carried the lakers to the finals this whole post exposed you stick to football homie
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    [Insert Smush Parker's response here]
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ Bynum thinking he's better than Howard. Dude is delusional. Howard's athleticism alone makes him twice as good as Bynum.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So bynum cant consider himself better than dwight? ? supposed to say "Nah yo dwight the best center in the league and I'm #2?" lol

And these werent shots it was just bynum stating that he felt his growth was stunted while playing with boss hog. Werent we saying last yr or so ago how much better bynum would be if he was on another team?

#NothingButTheTruth(No Kobe stan)
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    The Kevin Nash of the NBA
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    has beef with kobe....
    6937_Smush_Parker_1.jpg
    has beef everyday after that for breakfast, lunch and dinner

i would say LHD has claimed another victim but he was never on to begin with

• killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bynum would be better than Howard if he gave a ?
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    maybe i read it wrong, but i thought he was just saying kobe took allot of attention off of him and made things easy so he didn't have to work as hard as he normally would of.
  • wmj710
    Options
    killap wrote: »
    Bynum would be better than Howard if he gave a ?
    bynum would be better then howard if his knees gave a ?
  • wmj710
    Options
    oh ? bynum is looking allot like Mr. Glass from Unbreakable.
  • wmj710
    Options
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i feel like his appearance and actions means he just doesnt give a ?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bynum been injured for most of his career it wasn't until last year where he was regarded as the 2nd best C in the league. there was always a spark of his talent but it never really came together until he was healthy. he can attribute his health to "stunting" his growth more than anything. i'm sure Kwame, Mihm and Radmanovic all felt the same way lol. I dont see any shots tho he just speaking his mind.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    Bynum been injured for most of his career it wasn't until last year where he was regarded as the 2nd best C in the league. there was always a spark of his talent but it never really came together until he was healthy. he can attribute his health to "stunting" his growth more than anything. i'm sure Kwame, Mihm and Radmanovic all felt the same way lol. I dont see any shots tho he just speaking his mind.

Its not like people leave the Lakers and suddenly gt better without Kobe...word to Shaq, Odom, Kwame, Smush, Vujacic, Farmar, Crittenton, Rush, Rice, Walker, Walton, Mihm, Turiaf, Madsen, etc