CA man posts Facebook farewell, then drives onto train track < 1 hour later to commit that

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

A 21-year-old Californian man posted a haunting farewell message on Facebook before driving his car onto train tracks to commit suicide less than an hour later.

Antjuan Miguel Colvin, who friends say could have been struggling with depression, wrote the lengthy post on his Facebook page at around 9pm on Christmas Eve. 'To all my friends and family on Facebook,' it said. 'Thank you all you have all made an impact on my life some of you good some of you not but you all are loved I hope you all have wonderful lives.

'I know its not my time to go but I cannot take living any longer. So as of tonight I will end my life. Again thank you for being apart of my life. Merry Christmas.......Goodbye.' At 9.48pm, he drove his car onto a railroad crossing in Hughson, California and was struck by a train travelling at 75 mph. He was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities told the Modesto Bee.

Before his death, family and friends who read his post scrambled to contact the troubled man, with many asking on Facebook if he was okay or whether the message was a joke. 'I didn't know what to think when I saw it,' friend Olivia Johnson, 22, told the Bee.

'I called his phone like 100 times. I called his sister, messaged his girlfriend, called them to [find out] if they knew what was going on. I don't understand why he would do this.' But as news began to emerge of an accident on the Hughson crossing, their fears were confirmed.

Colvin was hit by a San Joaquin Train from Bakersfield to Sacramento. It was carrying 98 passengers and was delayed for two hours after the crash. Three people were shaken up and treated at the scene for minor injuries. The conductor was the only witness to the crash, Stanislaus County sheriff's Sgt. Anthony Bejaran said. 'It's horrible for the conductor and horrible for the family, who will always have to remember Christmas Day as a day they lost a family member,' Bejaran said. 'I can't imagine that.'

Colvin had written a series of cryptic posts leading up to his death, including one earlier on Christmas Eve which said: 'Tomorrow is Christmas............... :(' When friends asked him about the post, he simply wrote: 'something im (sic) trying to deal with on my own right now', the Bee reported.

In November, Colvin posted a picture with a quote reading: 'I hide all of my problems behind my smile. Behind my smile is a world of pain. You think you know me, but you have no idea.' Beside the picture he wrote: 'True.' His former live-in girlfriend, Savanna Callahan, 24, said that he was often overcome with depression.

'I am in shock. But only to an extent,' she said. 'When me and him broke up, he said he wasn't strong enough to be my boyfriend. I had hoped he'd gained strength. He was very sweet. He liked everybody.' His Facebook page also shows hundreds of smiling pictures and his plans for trips. While his page is still active, his posts are no longer public.

Colvin, who worked for ? 's Sporting Goods, loved playing basketball, friends said. Johnson paid tribute to her friend, saying: 'He was just an awesome person; he had the best smile on his face and always knew how to make people laugh. He was just a wonderful person.'

But she has been left with questions surrounding his death, and wishes she could have helped. 'I just don't understand,' she said. 'He said he was trying to deal with something on his own and I wish I knew and could help him. Now every Christmas, all I'll remember is him.'

Comments