is a high school diploma or g.e.d really needed?

Options
IamtheVILLE
IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
well i was tryin to tell my cuz yesterday that he need to go back and get his g.e.d and he just keeps on sayin he dont need one. but the thing is his girl is about to drop his baby next month, he's a step father to his girls two y/o child, and plans on marrying this chick next year. but my thang is that he's toppin out at like 15 dollars driving for a moving company with no benefits or ? . hell sometimes the check dont even come on time. im like homie you could either be working at ford or general electric right now with benefits if you just get your g.e.d but he always says he dont need no ged as long as he got his cdl's. so can a cat really make a decent living without a g.e.d or h/s diploma?

Comments

• theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow. Clearly your cousin is a ? . He's made all the wrong choices so far, so no a diploma/ or g.e.d. will not help him.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not if you find another way to make good omoney...Point blank...But most people do not have the mental and/or physical fortitude to do so...So the short answer is...Yes, you need that ? ...
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ye, he can make a decent living without a GED. But not likely. I've found that a lot of people don't know that living just above the poverty line, barely paying bills on time, no extra cash, having an actual savings account, etc, doesn't HAVE to happen. A lot people don't really know that it doesn't have to be like that. Especially when you come from a legacy of struggle. So to him, he may not need a GED. He may feel like $15/hr is really good.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Do u really need us to answer this ? ?

Of course not ? , he can be the next Jay Z............

Sike nah, tell that dumb ? to get his G.E.D.......... He´s worrying about the wrong things.......... Gettin married b4 gettin a diploma? He´s bout to have a long life...... I dont mean that in a good way..
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OF COURSE ITS NEEDED...

HELL, IM IN THE MILITARY AND WILL BE HON. DISCHARGED AND EMPLOYERS STILL LOOK FOR THAT EDUCATION FACTOR EVEN IF I DID SERVE MY COUNTRY

SO U KNOW A REGULAR ? GONE NEED THE BASIC EDUCATION ON PAPER
  • NIKE...
    NIKE... Members Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Short answer..yes i grew up next door to a family where none of the males in the house had a ged or diploma..

But they all have cdl and doing waaaay better than alot of the college grads i know..my boy showed me his tax return from last year....the ? made over 100 grand in 2011 driving trucks..so yeah technically ya boy dont need no g.e.d.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not if you're a truck driver, wielder, or some ? like that.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you dont need a ged to sell ?
  • El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Short answer..yes i grew up next door to a family where none of the males in the house had a ged or diploma..

But they all have cdl and doing waaaay better than alot of the college grads i know..my boy showed me his tax return from last year....the ? made over 100 grand in 2011 driving trucks..so yeah technically ya boy dont need no g.e.d.
    That's nice but there's more and more people looking for jobs all the time,
    so when they have a stack of resumes and applications I would assume the ones with no education get moved pretty far down in the trash bin unless you started working 30 years ago when the jobs were easier to get ,Ive heard, and have experience.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »

the resident authority on this subject has spoken
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he's trying to get p-a-d
  • IamtheVILLE
    Options
    damn man cause he wants to go back to doing masonry through the union but im like cuz im in the union and they want you to bring your transcripts and ? . im like bro you having a family now? you need a g.e.d but i think he's dumb because when he was a little baby i watched him roll on the bed and fall on the project floor. his head went boom. literally. lol
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    get a high school diploma, not a "Good Enough Diploma"
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    Plap Star wrote: »

the resident authority on this subject has spoken

i aint got no ged
  • IamtheVILLE
    Options
    he's trying to get p-a-d

? i spit out my food readin this ?

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless he's trying to work in construction or driving a diesel truck that ? is ? cause most if not all employers look at the persons education credentials!!!
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My older brother is my mothers most successful child and all he has is a 7th grade education.
  • IamtheVILLE
    Options
    damn. how do u feel bout that
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, if you want more employment options. Close thread.
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not if he wants to do masonry work.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless he plans to go to college the best he can do with a G.E.D is get $15 an hour anyway. Its not like gets a G.E.D and automatically get a $40 an hour desk job.

Son tell him to get a job like working at a Hess gas station or a wawa or something, pay is ? as ? at first, but if he puts in work, in 6 months he can become assistant manager, get about $15, then work hard as ? be the best, and in 1 year he can be manager making 45-50k a year starting before a bonus, manager hours are like 7-3, he gets off at 3, studies, get his GED then, in like another year and a half after he puts in more work, tells the company he wants to be a district manager, takes courses, and gets a 80-100k job before bonuses. He could then get his college degree on the side and ask to be a regional manager if he wants more money.

In 5 years it is possible to do all this. I got a job as a sales associate at 18 at hess, made assistant manager in 3 months, and a manager in a year. I was 19 making close to 60k with bonuses. I quit before going all the way to district manager and all though.

Its possible but it requires you to be the best employee which I always was without trying, anyone can do it.
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes atleast get the GED. Most jobs require it. Never too late.
  • IamtheVILLE
    Options
    thats what i try to tell that cat but he.......lets say stupid.
  • MrLunatik1979
    MrLunatik1979 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    more often than not you need a diploma or GED. I personally got lucky and got into a company that likes to train and promote from within so I am not feeling the effects of not having an education, but I know I am lucky that I found what I did and have the work ethic to advance.