Group Asks Parents to Turn In Violent Video Games

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in IllGaming
SMH this ? going too far now

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Group-Asks-Parents-to-Turn-In-Violent-Video-Games-Sandy-Hook-Newtown-185481782.html

A Southington group will hold a violent video game return program in the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Southington S.O.S., which stands for Southington Offers Service, is made up of town, school and emergency officials, as well as local business owners and the leaders of youth services programs.

The group is asking parents to hand in violent video games and movies Jan. 12.

"We're concerned about our kids getting desensitized," said John Meyers, executive director of the Southington YMCA. "Desensitized to violence and desensitized to other risky behavior."

Meyers hopes parents talk to their children about the violence portrayed in the video games.

"Ideally what will take place is we'll be encouraging parents to have what we call a courageous conversation with their child," he said.

The return will be held Jan. 12 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Southington Drive-In.

"If we have one violent video game returned, we're going to be applauding," said Dr. Joseph Erardi, Southington's school superintendent. "This isn't about quantity. It's about making a difference, one student, one parent, one family, one community at a time."

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    ? give me their video games lol
  • tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ill send them the case with no disc just to troll them
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @ the end of the day what does doing that solve???

During Columbine it was music
    During the whole Rutgers nappy headed hoes fiasco it was hip hop/rap music
    Now with this it's video games

It's strange how when something tragic in the United States happens media & groups (mostly white people)(no racism) always wanna put the blame on music, video games, & etc. instead of something for some reason they always seem to ignore & that's teaching & education there own children!!!
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At $ 25 each ......... that's a better deal than trading them into to Gamestop
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    its funny because we wonder why we can't prevent more tragidies in this country but at the same time adults that reason like those collecting video games are the season were not smart enough to educate kids before they go crazy and preforms acts like this.

this tragedy didnt happen because of video games it lierally happened because the mom took her son to the shooting range and had a stockpile of assult weapon in her house not with a few clips but over 100 rounds of ammo smh.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

LOL @ me thinking the same thing. ? bout to cash in, ? the cause.

What constitutes as violence tho. My least violent game is Madden 13 followed by NFS Hot Pursuit & Most Wanted. Other than that, somebody is either getting shot (shooters), getting killed (hack-n-slash games) or getting their ? whooped (fighters). I guess I'm bound to go on shooting spree any day now.
  • scoop1215
    scoop1215 Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i had to goat this less squeakers online is a good start lol heres hoping it spreads to every state
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    How about instead of handing in violent video games or films you hand in guns and ammo so people aren't shooting each other to begin with? No? I thought not.

You stay classy, America.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    How about instead of handing in violent video games or films you hand in guns and ammo so people aren't shooting each other to begin with? No? I thought not.

they have those they are actually call gun buy backs and they go on all the time. the only problem is most people don't hand in guns at the buy back they resell them on black market type system and make more that way. gun buybacks are dumb as hell because the people that will commit crimes arent going to willfully return their guns for some money they will just sell it for more to convicted felons or anyone who will pay good.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Me and the people I grew up with played tons of violent games, listened to tons of violent music, and watched tons of violent movies. None of us have even been to jail let along shot anyone.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They had one in Baltimore like two weeks ago. They were giving away $100 credit for some food market, no cash. The police were talking about "Everybody gotta eat"....? outta here lol.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wasn't this an episode of the simpsons?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Me and the people I grew up with played tons of violent games, listened to tons of violent music, and watched tons of violent movies. None of us have even been to jail let along shot anyone.

because call of duty doesnt ? teach you how to fire an assult rifle a ? ? mom who takes their mentally ill child to the gun range does. and a killer doesn't just wake up and automatically use a GTA 3 cheat code and get unlimited ammo. A ? mom who has a doomsday arsenal downstairs allows a their nutty kid access to that.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    duke nukem is 5 bucks someplaces. im about to make some profit
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? can a ? mail some games in?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Q45T wrote: »

? can a ? mail some games in?

i mean i live 30 mins from the drop off lol
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People need to just raise their kids right. I've played, watched and listened to all types of violent ? growing up and I have never shot up anything or been to jail....

People are trying to point fingers as usual..
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that group.

All the video game related deaths are just collateral damage to all the fun we're having.

Someone has to pay.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $25!!??

I'm about to send these ? Alan Wake.

The store offered me £1 for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im an attentive parent...
    aint none of this, you want the game save your money and go buy it ? ...

you want that game then you better be old enough for it, or else the answer is no.

they put these rating on the games and yet ? is still a ? problem...

i say we hold stores accountable for letting youngins walk out with a copy of CoD, MoH, MK, etc...

start fining these stores for not following the original ? gameplan set forth by the ESRB.

i dontknow where you buy games from.....but to buy an M rated game at best buy you have to show ID
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    young ins arent buying these games alone. ? parents go to the store and buy it for them.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know, maybe they should spend some damn time with those lunatic kids to know where their head is.

Parents are never ready or willing to look at themselves as the problem.