New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Options
grumpy_new_yorker
grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sony has reportedly patented technology that will prevent the use of second hand games on consoles.

According to NeoGAF member gofreak, the patent application was filed on 9 December 2012 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and will work by linking individual game discs to a user's account without requiring a network connection meaning any future attempt to use this disc on another user's console won't work.

The patent explains that games will come with contactless tags that will be read by your console in much the same way as modern bank cards. When a disc is first used, the disc ID and player ID will be stored on the tag. Every time the disc is used in future, the tag will check if the two ID’s match up and, if not, then the disc won’t work.

The document goes on to explain that such a device is part of Sony's ongoing efforts to deter second-hand games sales, and is a far simpler solution than always-on DRM or passwords.

It's worth noting that Sony has not confirmed the existence of the device, and the patent doesn't state what machine it will be used in, with later paragraphs also mentioning accessories and peripherals.

It does raise some concerns though. Firstly, the impact on game rental stores would be catastrophic as surely this means they'd no longer be able to do business? Given publishers' usual desire to keep retailers sweet by not undercutting them on prices and the like, this would be an unusual move.

There's also the issue of what happens should your console break and need replacing, or if you have more than one console. Will the games be linked to your PSN account, meaning they can still be used, or the console, meaning an entire new library of titles would need to be purchased?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games

Comments

• tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    same ? windows and pc games already does...microsoft finna follow suit and soon other like movie companies will follow suit
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    same ? windows and pc games already does...microsoft finna follow suit and soon other like movie companies will follow suit

Already been announced for next Xbox. Sony followed suit
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    the pricing of games better go down cuz i aint gonna spend 60 dollars for a game all the time. or i might just mod the game.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    these companies better recognize that $60 price tag shouldnt be on all games. id gladly pay that amount for a game like gta 5 or skyrim, but some other titles dont deserve that cash
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    Smh, this is dumb on their part (Microsoft's as well)...
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Down goes Consoles....down goes consoles....wtf are these ? thinking!! As it is their getting their ass handed to them by iOS and Android. Now this??
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've always thought this hard stance against used games is stupid as ? ... you don't see car manufacturers out here sayin' ? can't drive a used car unless they pay extra. Nike ain't mailin' letters to ? for coppin' Foamposites of eBay. They really need to get the ? outta here with this ? .
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So say if my PS4 dies on me. Then what happens to my games?
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So they basically saying I'm not going to be playing video games any more . That's cool it was a nice run I'm bout take up new hobbies .
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Guess the developers want their money. Sucks for the consumer but it's great for them.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about rentals?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gamefly is ? if this ends up true.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    Guess the developers want their money. Sucks for the consumer but it's great for them.

Sucks for both parties.

With the exception of Nintendo, game companies like to keep churning out bleeding edge tech but then complain about how they aren't turning a profit due to used games.

? of War did dumb numbers on PS2 near its end. Halo 4 did $200 million on eight-year-old tech in a day or some ? . Last of Us is probably about to do similar on PS3. You mean to tell me these are fluke occurrences? Halo 5 will do ? numbers in 2014 on 360 or 720 or 1080. The only difference is that a bigger percentage will be profit instead of recouping dev costs for super tech.

Fact of the matter is, game companies don't turn the profits they want because their business model is wack as ? .

You can't go borderline broke to design on the latest and greatest tech, get mad when people don't buy enough of your work to turn a profit, and then penalize the people who bought it by telling them, "You're just leasing the product. I still own it" to strong arm more people into buying it.

The people who would've copped for $20 will find something else to buy while waiting for the price to drop, and if it takes too long for the price to drop, will probably forget all together. The game companies are still losing money, but now they're taking Mom-and-Pop used game shops out with them on some ? ? .
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that's backwards hustling. they thought they were losing money before, console gaming will really be on the decline if they decide to use this technology. they about to put a lot of companies out of business as well. gamefly is goat so that's some ? .
  • tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    that's backwards hustling. they thought they were losing money before, console gaming will really be on the decline if they decide to use this technology. they about to put a lot of companies out of business as well. gamefly is goat so that's some ? .

GOAT for the sig. Didn't read ? no offense
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this ? sucks. i bring my madden 13 by my cuz every other week and we play game after game. that's gonna come to a halt. smh.
    they should just leave things how they are. at the best if these game companies wanna try and make their money off of used games then just use the that online pass you have to buy if its used.
    i mean a lot of these games don't come with demos. people aren't gonna wanna take that risk. i know i'm not esp. if its a new game. so what happens if you buy a game and don't like it. ? i guess you're stuck with it. can't trade it in nor sell it to anyone else
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They are really hurting themselves people will just by less games per year, I for one can play a Quality FPS with good content drops all year round and maybe 1 solid RPG and I am good. Game sells will drop drastically and maybe cause developers to make better games because most people will only buy the very best games.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    looks like im gonna be waiting for the price to drop on everything except GTA

im not takin 60 dollar chances on new games.
    every purchase I have made has been dude to gettin to try the game out on gamefly first but this new ? is about to ruin all that
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u all do know this rumor comes about every month just to get debunked a week later...
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Next gen systems might take the free-to-play route but idk.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if ps4 and xbox whogivesafuck9000 do some ? like this i'll just buy a wii u. ? it. zelda>>>>