The Dark Souls Kicking My Ass Thread

Options
SneakDZA
SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
if haven't been this frustrated playing a game since Pitfall (yeah I'm old). Somebody on the IC has to know about this ? .

I know it'z supposed to be tough and all that but they really take it to the next level. After I finally rang the first bell my save got corrupted and I had to start that ? all over again.

I might have to put it away for a few years like Baldur's Gate which I think i'll finally beat this year after 10 years of playing off and on.

Comments

• grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Choose pyromancer as your class when creating a character, you will start the game with Pyromancy Flame magic.

Destroy the Hellkite Dragon's tail (red dragon that guards the bridge after the first boss) and you will get the very powerful Drake Sword. You can easily do this by going under the bridge and shooting it with arrows. Raise your Dexterity a few levels before doing this.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah grumpy gave you good advice. Getting the Drake Sword is almost like setting the game to easy mode. It's very powerful early on and will help you out. That said as time goes on it will become less useful. I wish I could tell you that the game gets easier as you go along, but if you just finished ringing the first bell then most of the real nightmares are still ahead for you. Just make sure to keep your equipment at as high a level as you can. That can mean the difference between a boss one shotting you or you living long enough to heal.

Also, if you have any problems, you can go to this site:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

You can pretty much get any help you need.

Last but not least, this is a multiplayer game to some degree. If you get to a part where you really can't seem to go on, reverse your hollowing and summon some help. The game can be tough, but it's very rewarding. I started playing again not long ago because I got the DLC they released. One of the DLC bosses kicked my ass like 20 times in a row. There aren't too many joys in video games that rival the feeling you get when you finally do smash an enemy that's been giving you that much grief.

• SneakDZA
    Options
    it's too late - i chose knight already because i like to wear that stone armor. i think later on i get some magic anyway though... i got pretty far in my last game until the save got all frigged up.

i'm about to get the drake sword using a crossbow though but i was trying to play through with no hints this time (i found out about making those guys jump off the cliff and was leaning on that in the last game but that felt cheap).
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    You'll need a regular bow to get the Drake Sword. I don't think you can do it with a cross bow because you'll need to be able to aim. And you're ok being a knight. Having a good set of armor and a strong shield will help a lot. It will ruin your roll of course, but the roll is kinda gimped in this game anyway. It's easier blocking things than evading them.
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    ah the regular bow. good point. and yeah i think at some point i got this nice theif or ninja-like armor set at some point and was switching back and forth depending on who i was fighting and if i was running a long distance. but yeah i learned pretty early on that i'm better off blocking than trying to evade.

when i finally beat this game i feel like i should get a trophy made. even though i get the feeling the ending is gonna ? me off somehow.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Well there are two endings. One may ? you off.

The thing about this game is it does have a pretty deep storyline and history, but it's kinda buried. If you don't really bother talking to all the NPCs and reading the descriptions on all the items/weapons/equipment/etc... you get, you could go through the whole game not understanding what it's truly even about. In a game like that, chances are the ending is always going to ? you off.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If your Dex & Strength is high enough (low 20's) you can ? the Hellkite Dragon early in the game and cop a quick 10,000 souls. Yeah I forgot to say you need a long bow & 200-300 arrows to ? it. Cross bow isn't gonna work.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man i just beat this recently, like maybe a month ago. After putting it down for almost 6 months. I was on that ? Crystal guy for the longest time. The one who makes crystal spikes sprout from the floor. Finally beat him, now im playing it on the harder mode and im chillin in Anor Londo. First time was hard enough, no new ? drops in the harder mode.

Lord Gwyn looks ? bad ass tho, wish his sword could be used like he uses it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Did you get the DLC Lou? It's not that long but I think it's even harder than the rest of the game. Fun ? though, and you get a lot of new weapon and magic from it.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Nah i didnt get the DLC. didnt know they released it for xbox. its just the bonus stuff from PC's Prepare to die edition right?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yeah, it's basically a new world to play through. I'd say it's comparable in length to Anor Londo + Duke's Archives + Crystal Caves if hat gives you any idea of how much content it has. Probably about 6 or 7 new weapons, 6 or 7 new spells, 2 or 3 new armor sets, and a few misc items. There is also a battle colliseum now where you can go fight other people easier. It's a pretty significant addition if you ask me.

It's been on Xbox and PS3 for a while now.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Well ? A. I went into the Forest where all those humans are that try to ? you. Able to get people to invade me. nh. ? ass holes always attack me when im trying to dodge the NPC's Attacks!
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Game actually get's pretty simple once you figure out the controls and how to make your souls count. It's only hard in the beginning
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    it was way harder on my first playthrough because i had the bootleg version and couldn't go online so i saw none of the player messages and couldn't summon help for some of the bosses. i broke down and bought it which is why my save was incompatible but it's way easier this time around even though i haven't caught up to where i was yet.

that "need humanity" ? is kindof annoying though.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Game actually get's pretty simple once you figure out the controls and how to make your souls count. It's only hard in the beginning

Yeah, you actually control the difficulty to some extent. Hell, something as simple as using a good shield really makes a difference. On my first play through, I didn't use a shield. I duel wielded katanas. That ? was brutal. The margin for error without a shield is very slim. My second playthrough, I used a shield and heavier armor and the game was much easier.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, you actually control the difficulty to some extent. Hell, something as simple as using a good shield really makes a difference. On my first play through, I didn't use a shield. I duel wielded katanas. That ? was brutal. The margin for error without a shield is very slim. My second playthrough, I used a shield and heavier armor and the game was much easier.

Pretty much. If you're going to duel wield you have to have high dex and low armor weight. You also have to know exactly when to dodge, but there are videos on youtube of duel wielders laying waste to everything in their path with ease.