Punk vs Rock promo: Who Won?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
After MNR, the wrestling sites and fan pages on FaceBook went ape ? over their promos, which is understandable (I did too). The arguments poured in; who had a better promo? Of course the smarks, the IWC, chose Punk and AE/Rocky fans chose the Rock.

I've always been a big fan of the Rock, since '98 & '99, always stuck by his mic skills and thought he got the better of all his opponents.

But it's like I'm the only one who thinks he's lost his touch. When Rock faced Cena and made his appearances here and there, his promos were okay, nothing top notch and it had the usual Rock humor. Even with Cena, it looked like he struggled to find the lines to use, but nonetheless he pulled through and made it entertaining.

Monday night vs Punk, I felt he was completely out of touch. His humor was on the ? side and "cookie ? " is some made-up ? . I felt the Rock didn't say much.

Rock vs Punk promos are different from one another, Rock relies on the crowd, catch phrases, humor and made-up terms while Punk relies on truth and ether. If this was '99, Rock would've dropped a better promo and would've gone toe-to-toe w Punk better. I think the Promo Wars will all go to Punk, Punk was able to ? on the fans and the Rock and throw it back into his face in the end.

(People also talking about Punks legacy and that he doesn't have one dude to his wins not being clean as a champ)

I'm not a "smark", far from it but Punk won Monday night, Rock is still my dude but he doesn't have it anymore.

Comments

• VIBE
    Options
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    Options
    Cosign the whole post

Punk's promo was GOAT, Rock's promo was trash. I really don't even understand how it's an argument.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rock was on that ? ? , that ? been doing the same promo for over 10 years

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i know i posted in the raw thread...

but.....

cm punk wrote:
    “I don’t care how many movies you film every year. I know how hard that schedule probably is but every time you come back, whenever you decide to grace us with your presence, I’m gonna kick your ass. Because this isn’t Candyland. I’m like nobody you’ve ever faced before. You can make fun of the color of my t-shirt and you can talk about pie and you can sing songs and you can rhyme and you can do your entire lame ass schtick. I just want you to know that come Royal Rumble, and you have about 3 weeks to realize this, I’m gonna kick your ass cause I’m the best in the world. I’m the best thing going today, I’m the best guy you’ve ever stepped foot in the ring with and you need to understand. Congratulations, Rock, you’ve just graduated from the kiddy table but you just bit off more than you can chew. You’re playing little league with your little insults, and your rhymes and your “millions and millions” and your finally’s and I’m in the big leagues and I’m swinging swinging for the fence. You need to understand that your little jabs and your insults are all kiddy games. You can’t leave a mark on the champ’s face. Come Royal Rumble, understand when you step in the ring, your arms are just too short to box with ? .”

punk killt the rock....
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwayne-johnson-working-out.jpg

I'ma just leave this here lol.
  • VIBE
    Options
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    This is probably the last promo I enjoyed from The Rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-8ARolUybU
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is probably the last promo I enjoyed from The Rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-8ARolUybU

The rock "Boston history lesson" promo was better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCSaTxocuM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    clangin and bangin
    &
    clangin and bangin
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Rock got it. Punk was boring as hell and just talking about ? . "I'm gonna kick your ass" says the druggie looking, skinny ass, can't win clean champion to The Rock who beat Austin, Taker, HHH, Cena, etc. all clean. Okay.

Also that arms are too short to box with ? was used terribly and out of place. Rock roasted him with the jokes and was even better when serious.

All Punk basically said was "I'm gonna kick your ass" which is frankly unbelievable to the highest level.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    i thought the rock was really good, but punk was just better, rock was funny, punk was etherous, rock made u smile, punk made u feel him(n/h), u need etherous and feeling moreso in a main event battle, and u cant front like rocks serious portion of his promo didn't add to the segment as a whole and wasnt at least a little compelling, like i said, the cookie ? thing was the only part that soured it, much like fruity pebbles and other corny things during the cena confrontation
  • VIBE
    Options
    DarkRaiden wrote: »
    Rock got it. Punk was boring as hell and just talking about ? . "I'm gonna kick your ass" says the druggie looking, skinny ass, can't win clean champion to The Rock who beat Austin, Taker, HHH, Cena, etc. all clean. Okay.

Also that arms are too short to box with ? was used terribly and out of place. Rock roasted him with the jokes and was even better when serious.

All Punk basically said was "I'm gonna kick your ass" which is frankly unbelievable to the highest level.

So you think because Rock is built more physically than Punk, Rock can take Punk? Size means nothing, look at Kimbo, big man who fights and was KO'd his first fight vs a pink haired smaller guy.

Come on now.

Rock said nothing in that promo, I didn't really smile, more so was like WTF?

Punk didnt just say, "I'm gonna kick your ass", he said Rock is outdated and his little catch phrases mean nothing, that's throwing it back in your opponents face, a first for the Rock.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and does clean wins really matter that much, im sure punk has some, and in a time where wwe has been throwin titles on ? so much back and forth and left and right that a ? like randy orton has had a main strap over twice as many times as the goat hbk, punk has had it over 400 days, that means more imo
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • s_a_m_r_i_o
    s_a_m_r_i_o Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Punk won it because The Rock's jokes are corny. He's funny at times but he says elementary ? and the crowd laughs at it.
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk punk was telling mad truth and rock bring the noise so I have no clue I just wanna see them fight
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Rock came through cool like he always does.
    Punk was just more aggressive.

2 different styles some what like Jay(Takeover) & Nas(Ether)

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Rock wasn't as good as he usually is, but he still won by a long shot. Punk was trying to play the tough guy role and it wasn't believable since he doesn't win a lot of his matches fair and he was talking to someone that looks like he would snap him in 2 with the flex of a muscle.

Also I thought Punk was atheist, so it didn't make sense for him to the include the "too short to box with ? " ? .
  • VIBE
    Options
    Rock wasn't as good as he usually is, but he still won by a long shot. Punk was trying to play the tough guy role and it wasn't believable since he doesn't win a lot of his matches fair and he was talking to someone that looks like he would snap him in 2 with the flex of a muscle.

Also I thought Punk was atheist, so it didn't make sense for him to the include the "too short to box with ? " ? .

Punk is claiming he is ? .
  • VIBE
    Options
    If you ever saw his S.E.S ? , you can see he was Jesus/? in that as well, dude spit sermons.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Strange to me that Cena and Punk promos be corny as ? for most of the year yet when they feud with the Rock they come back on point...
  • VIBE
    Options
    Cena is corny 24/7, here and there he's good but overall ? .

Punk is always on point.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Strange to me that Cena and Punk promos be corny as ? for most of the year yet when they feud with the Rock they come back on point...

The Rock brings it out of them and besides cm punk and Cena feel like WWE is now their territory and the rock is just visited, john cena said that to the rock and The rock was like "I'm not some ? damn visitor I help built this damn house."