Report: PS3 Surpasses Xbox 360’s Worldwide Shipped Total (Focus needs another hug)

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in IllGaming
Plus, a Wii U sales forecast.

The Xbox 360 has been ahead of PlayStation 3 in the global sales race since the first day the PS3 was released in 2006. But according to a new forecast report summarized by Games Industry International, the PlayStation 3 has officially taken the lead in units shipped.

Games Industry International cites a “market analysis” document by Lewis Ward of IDC (the International Data Corporation) called Worldwide Video Game Entertainment Console Hardware and Packaged Software 2012-2016 Forecast. The $4,500 report’s abstract notes that the forecast is designed to predict sales figures for a variety of hardware and software over the next four years.

Tucked within, according to Games Industry International, are console numbers for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as of December, 2012. “Sony’s PS3 managed to surpass the number of Xbox 360s shipped worldwide (about 77 million vs. 76 million), despite the PS3 launching a year later.” It’s important to note that these figures are shipped and not sold to consumers (though it‘s unlikely production is far in excess of perceived demand for either console). It’s also important to note that it’s unclear if these numbers were garnered straight from sources at Sony and Microsoft, or are part of IDC’s overall forecast.

The forecast also reportedly states that IDC predicts “Nintendo will still ‘find an audience’ with Wii U, reaching global shipments of 50 million by year-end 2016.” Wii U sales aren’t keeping pace with that of the original Wii, though it may have already sold as many as 3 million units since November.

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 launched in North America in November of 2005, and a month later in Europe and Japan. Sony’s PlayStation 3 launched in November of 2006 in North America and Japan, and the next spring in Europe.

Comments

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eh...numbers seem off because Sony was at 70 mill in November... Hard to see a system sell 7 mill in a month... But i do think they passed the Xbox last holiday.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • focus
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Like i've said before, it really doesn't matter at this point who comes in second. So much damage has already been done to Sony's market share, brand and bottom line. The big N and M$ put them through the ringer this generation like never before and if all Sony can claim at the end of it all is a few more shipped units, well...

As for the Wii U sales, it had a bigger launch than the 360 and PS3 combined and the second biggest launch in history I think. Its only a "failure" compared to the Wii which was a phenomenon and even then it only trails by a couple 100 thousand units. Nintendo, as always, is suffering from being a victim of its own success.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    LOL Someone is still doing damage control I see. Talk about suffering from being a victim of their own success as if the PS3 could possibly sell more than the PS2 as no console has or will. It took several different DS/Lite/XLs for the DS to sell as much and Sony never had to re-release another PS2 since the slim version was just slim, not PS2/Lite/XL or whatever.

The fact is Nintendo fan boys are still mad that Sony destroyed Nintendo through the 90s and early 00s that when Nintendo finally has success again (with selling out to casual gamers) they come out the wood work talking about sales. Where were you when the N64 and Game Cube flopped focus? LOL I remember there was a time when people felt embarrassed to admit that they like Nintendo.

Oh yeah you was hiding out in your mom's basement wearing your power glove and Pokemon PJs talking to yourself about the N will rise again like all of the other Nintendo groupies. I have said it before and I will say it again, ? sales. All 3 did great and all 3 are billionaires in which none of us will see a cent from their success. Let it go focus, if it helps you sleep at night Nintendo and MS won and Sony lost.

but... What did you gain? Zero, Zilch, Nada.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    You have to also consider that amount of times Sony re-released the PS3 or remade different types of PS3s. There's like 3 different redesigns of the PS3. You also have to consider that Microsoft managed to move a lot of 360s due to that whole RROD ? SMMFH. Sony isn't beating them by a big number so I'm not sure I'd take this information too serious.....

Also I knew the Wii-U wouldn't smash down doors the way it was expected too. As soon as I seen that Nintendo was hoarding so much cash I knew something was up.

But see it don't even matter man. This is the ? that makes me hate being a gamer. All jokes and clowning aside. Its brainless to care about what console sells more. Also sales don't equal quality and trends change every generation. At the end of the day none of us get a check from these companies (except you with your stock lol) so I don't know what "certain" posters care so so much about the sales. Gaming is the only industry that has these rabid fan boys. My cousin used to do this ? for Nintendo bashing the Genesis and he is damn near 40 and still on that BS. ? is pathetic. ROFL.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I sincerely hope that no one ever does to me whatever it is that Sony did to focus. hes mad at them like jodie foster in that movie where those hillbillys ? her on a pinball table
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spit on your grave?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no thats not the one im thinking of, but yeah you could compare jodie focus to that chick too
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    ROFL@ Jodie focus. He is like that kid you used to bully back in 5th grade plotting all these years then popping up like "remember me" and you like nope.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *Checks date on PC.*

2013?

*Is amazed dudes is still console warriors*

You muhfuckas got jobs now, right? We only went to console war because our parents bought us one or the other so we had to justify why our ? was GOAT. Grown-ass men can buy them all or one with zero ? given to justification.

If y'all are paid for this, lemme know. I could use this PC time to go start riots across the internet for another check.
  • focus
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Talk about suffering from being a victim of their own success as if the PS3 could possibly sell more than the PS2 as no console has or will.

You are right. There will probably never be a craze like the cheap DVD player again.
  • Musa Daniel
    Musa Daniel Members Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ps3 will always be the greater simply because psn is free...

wana play black ops on my 360 but dont feel like coppin xboxlive right now...

its the principal

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? is a Wii u
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    XBOX always has and always will be the red-headed stepchild.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    knights wrote: »
    *Checks date on PC.*

2013?

You muhfuckas got jobs now, right? We only went to console war because our parents bought us one or the other so we had to justify why our ? was GOAT. Grown-ass men can buy them all or one with zero ? given to justification.

If y'all are paid for this, lemme know. I could use this PC time to go start riots across the internet for another check.

I was fortunate to have both a SNES and a Genesis. Still the people I knew who only had one were Nintendo fanboys. Never seen it from the PS/Sega side. I wonder why?
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Talk about suffering from being a victim of their own success as if the PS3 could possibly sell more than the PS2 as no console has or will.

You are right. There will probably never be a craze like the cheap DVD player again.

Yup, not even the exercise machine sold as a video game console could top it.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign @knights

console wars in 2013 is lame as ? .
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who the ? is still buying consoles?
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Console Wars are goat.

Just because you have all three consoles, doesn't mean you don't have your preference.

Sony & Nintendo>>>>>>Microsoft
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Vaas wrote: »
    Um Me. I can't get Uncharted, GOW, or games like infamous on PC.
  • ocelot
    Options

The bigger question is who the ? wants to exclusively play on PC? It's a shooter/ MMO machine to me... No MGS, Final Fantasy, ? of War, Persona or anything... Vaas drop some knowledge on PC for me bruh.
  • vespesianus
    vespesianus Members Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Options
    knights wrote: »
    *Checks date on PC.*

2013?

This is the realist post made in this section for a long ass time

• ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »

The bigger question is who the ? wants to exclusively play on PC? It's a shooter/ MMO machine to me... No MGS, Final Fantasy, ? of War, Persona or anything... Vaas drop some knowledge on PC for me bruh.

PC has RTS games and real good survival horrors unlike the consoles.

It depends on what you like.,

Oh, and they have SKYRIM.

FF7 & FF8 is on PC, so you're wrong.

• ocelot
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    ocelot wrote: »

PC has RTS games and real good survival horrors unlike the consoles.

It depends on what you like.,

Oh, and they have SKYRIM.

FF7 & FF8 is on PC, so you're wrong.

What are some good survival horror games that I can get exclusively on PC? The Last of Us? Fear?

I can play Skyrim on consoles

Bruh you know FF 7/8 was 15 years ago right. I can play those games on the go if I want. Can I play FF 9,10,10-2, 12, 13,13-2? Because those games are more recent. No Kingdom Hearts? No Heavy Rain? No next gen Metal Gear?PC is looking better and better. You've just might have convinced me to skip next gen since RTS, Survival Horrors and 15 year old games are on it.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you know how much money you have to put in a good pc gaming computer? lol it's not worth it