If Big Pun Was Still Alive

Options
Jeezyfan4ever
Jeezyfan4ever Confirm Email Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭
Do you think he would be ranked amongst the greatest lyricists of all time? I think so. The guy only released 3 albums. He would have been the king of east coast rap.

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Biggie dropped 2 albums and is heralded as a GOAT and many years after his death he was still considered the King of NY.
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course. Pun lyrically >>>>
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO pun was on a downward spiral. Capital Punishment is mad ill but he never matched it.
    Not saying he couldn't ever but it didn't seem like he was going to

One of my favorite pun tracks tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su7WRrx5oBI
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ironically im listening to Capital Punishment right now

He would not have been considered the best, he'd be Jadakiss/Fat Joe status, but you'd prolly see more Latino emcees (which i'm surprised there aren't a lot of [hmmm, thread to make] )

• The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he would run circles around most of the rappers out today if he lost the weight. capital punishment is my favorite hiphop album of all time and yeahhh babyy is a great album, its not as good as his debut but still a very solid album.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He would not have been considered the best, he'd be Jadakiss/Fat Joe status, but you'd prolly see more Latino emcees (which i'm surprised there aren't a lot of [hmmm, thread to make] )

Speaking of Latino emcees, I think the original Terror Squad (Big Pun, Triple Seis, Prospect, Cuban Link, Fat Joe, Armageddon) would have been in a better place..

A few of those lesser known members probably would have had some (minor) hits under their belt, aside from Flowers For the Dead by Cuban Link..
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If pun was alive and fat he'd probably be mediocre and/or washed up to be honest

If pun was alive and keeping his weight down/losing weight he'd probably make lunchables meals out of 98% of the rappers (underground and mainstream alike) out today.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Speaking of Latino emcees, I think the original Terror Squad (Big Pun, Triple Seis, Prospect, Cuban Link, Fat Joe, Armageddon) would have been in a better place..

A few of those lesser known members probably would have had some (minor) hits under their belt, aside from Flowers For the Dead by Cuban Link..

crazy that Latinos are the biggest minority in the US now and they haven't had a big Latino rapper since Terror Squad (unless you count the Af-Am/Domnicans like Fab, Juelz etc
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He'd be dropping music
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was probably one of Pun's biggest fans.

When he died, people in my high school were going out their way to give me condolences on my loss. lol.

But I think if Pun were alive, he'd be on a lot of this new-music type ? , but keeping it lyrical enough to still get respect from people who enjoyed his earlier works, and no play b/c he wouldn't be able to appeal anymore.
  • DJ Pauls Arm
    DJ Pauls Arm Members Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big Pun was like a billy goat. he would eat all of the trash and dry wall
  • doblephilo1
    doblephilo1 Members Posts: 68
    Options
    I think that latino mc's haven't really blow the way they should it's because pun held the bar so high i dont think it can be reach, there's plenty of latino mc's out there but some of them incorporate that pun flow to kinda be accepted by the underground and of course by the "media" people like termanology, big lou, joell ortiz, nino bless, etc etc have that big pun dna in their music which is cool in a way but it takes away from the originality. there will never be another pun, that man was special and his skill level was just crazy, i mean flow wise vocabulary charisma credibility pun was/is an elite lyricist and it hurts to know that the man didnt get to see and enjoy more of his success. for us latinos pun is our biggie/pac/jay/nas wrapped in one

if he was alive he would be doing what pitbull is doing now as far as going back and forth between the latino market and anglo market but with a different approach not as corny as pitbull does.

thats just my humble opinion
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I think that latino mc's haven't really blow the way they should it's because pun held the bar so high i dont think it can be reach, there's plenty of latino mc's out there but some of them incorporate that pun flow to kinda be accepted by the underground and of course by the "media" people like termanology, big lou, joell ortiz, nino bless, etc etc have that big pun dna in their music which is cool in a way but it takes away from the originality. there will never be another pun, that man was special and his skill level was just crazy, i mean flow wise vocabulary charisma credibility pun was/is an elite lyricist and it hurts to know that the man didnt get to see and enjoy more of his success. for us latinos pun is our biggie/pac/jay/nas wrapped in one

if he was alive he would be doing what pitbull is doing now as far as going back and forth between the latino market and anglo market but with a different approach not as corny as pitbull does.

thats just my humble opinion

Fat Joe has found more success and more accolades than Pun as well as Pitbull who you mentioned who has far exceed any success Pun saw. They may lack the skills and credibility but they are Latinos that have defiantly blown up after Pun so I cant buy the whole Latinos cant blow because Pun held the bar so high idea.
  • doblephilo1
    doblephilo1 Members Posts: 68
    Options
    fat joe ? cuban link's career in a major way to the point he couldnt get a deal and he was way nicer than joe is, and well pitbull aligned himself with joe early in his career to make sure that didnt happen to him... aside from those two who else have been successful???

joell ortiz is one of the few... and guess what he had to align himself with joe too...

how can you be successful when the ? on "top" doesnt let you shine?

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Yall gotta chill with these "If" threads. They're pointless.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he was alive i honestly think he would be in jail for domestic violence.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He'd still be a fat spicc.....the end.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    probably will be criticized to no end cause most likely the rest of his albums won't sound like capital punishment
  • DJ Pauls Arm
    DJ Pauls Arm Members Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    He'd still be a fat spicc.....the end.

hilarious
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZ is still the best Latino Lyricist