Why I raise my children without ? .

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    weak atheism forces babies, toddlers animals and all that have never taken an active position in the matter to be labeled as atheists.

Now you got it. They're atheists because they lack belief in ? . That's weak atheism. Strong atheism takes an active role in denying the existence of ? (s).
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    Agnostic Atheist: Believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a gem in my hand and it may be unknowable but chooses to disbelieve the gem to be in my hand.
    Agnostic Theist: Believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a gem in my hand and it may be unknowable but chooses to believe the gem is in my hand.
    these don't make sense because they're unnecessary. the former is an atheist. the latter is a theist of whatever sort. neither is actually an agnostic.

• Bodhi
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Yeah the former is an atheist, the latter is a theist; theism and atheism deal with belief. Gnosticism and agnosticism deal with knowledge. Knowledge and belief are not the same, which is why it is possible to be classified as something like an agnostic theist. I'm not making these terms up.

Agnostic atheism, also called atheistic agnosticism, is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact. The agnostic atheist may be contrasted with the agnostic theist, who believes that one or more deities exist but claims that the existence or nonexistence of such is unknown or cannot be known.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

Agnostic theism is the philosophical view that encompasses both theism and agnosticism. An agnostic theist believes in the existence of at least one deity, but regards the truth or falsehood of this proposition as unknown or inherently unknowable. The agnostic theist may also or alternatively be agnostic regarding the properties of the ? (s) they believe in.

Since agnosticism is a position on knowledge and does not forbid belief in a deity, it is compatible with most theistic positions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_theism

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah the former is an atheist, the latter is a theist; theism and atheism deal with belief. Gnosticism and agnosticism deal with knowledge. Knowledge and belief are not the same, which is why it is possible to be classified as something like an agnostic theist. I'm not making these terms up.

It does not matter who made the terms up they are not real.

LACK OF belief IS NOT THE MEANING OF THE WORD ATHEIST. Atheism is the complete denial of the existence of ? and nothing else all the terms you have described are not atheism Just because someone made something that does not make it true. you cannot be an agnostic and an atheist at the same time because an agnostic says he has no knowledge of ? and an atheist claims he has knowledge that ? does not exist nor can he exist because the concept of a ? is illogical.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    LACK OF belief IS NOT THE MEANING OF THE WORD ATHEIST.

Atheism
    a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
    b : the doctrine that there is no deity

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism
    Atheism is the complete denial of the existence of ? and nothing else all the terms you have described are not atheism

(a) is weak atheism; (b) is strong atheism.

Atheism

Just because someone made something that does not make it true.

Like your posts.
    you cannot be an agnostic and an atheist at the same time because an agnostic says he has no knowledge of ? and an atheist claims he has knowledge that ? does not exist nor can he exist because the concept of a ? is illogical.

Agnostic atheism, also called atheistic agnosticism, is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact. The agnostic atheist may be contrasted with the agnostic theist, who believes that one or more deities exist but claims that the existence or nonexistence of such is unknown or cannot be known.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

Agnostic theism is the philosophical view that encompasses both theism and agnosticism. An agnostic theist believes in the existence of at least one deity, but regards the truth or falsehood of this proposition as unknown or inherently unknowable. The agnostic theist may also or alternatively be agnostic regarding the properties of the ? (s) they believe in.

Since agnosticism is a position on knowledge and does not forbid belief in a deity, it is compatible with most theistic positions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_theism
  • zombie
    Options
    There is no such thing as weak atheism the meanings you give contradict themselves. You cannot deny something and then leave it open to possiblity. A disbelief is a denial. There is no such thing as weak atheism. You keep posting the same ? because you cannot think for yourself. once you deny something that is the end of it, you cannot deny and then say maybe like your so called weak atheism does.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Glad to say I was raised without ? also
  • Bodhi
    Options
    There is no such thing as weak atheism the meanings you give contradict themselves. You cannot deny something and then leave it open to possiblity. A disbelief is a denial. There is no such thing as weak atheism. You keep posting the same ? because you cannot think for yourself. once you deny something that is the end of it, you cannot deny and then say maybe like your so called weak atheism does.

I already gave you the gem in the hand allegory which was to demonstrate how one could be atheist and agnostic. If I tell you I have a gem in my hand, you can be atheist by disbelieving in the existence of the gem in my hand but at the same time you could be agnostic by claiming the gems existence to be unknowable. Your inability to comprehend my words mixed with your ignorance as to what the words mean have forced me to show you the dictionary definitions.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    A disbelief is not a denial. A baby has no belief in ? but has not yet denied its existence.
  • zombie
    Options
    A disbelief is not a denial. A baby has no belief in ? but has not yet denied its existence.

A baby is not an atheist. A baby knows nothing and picks no side.
  • zombie
    Options

I already gave you the gem in the hand allegory which was to demonstrate how one could be atheist and agnostic. If I tell you I have a gem in my hand, you can be atheist by disbelieving in the existence of the gem in my hand but at the same time you could be agnostic by claiming the gems existence to be unknowable. Your inability to comprehend my words mixed with your ignorance as to what the words mean have forced me to show you the dictionary definitions.

Your allegory was wrong, i cannot deny the gem exist and then say it is unknowable that would contradict the denial. To deny something you have to be complete in your rejection.
  • zombie
    Options
    SINCE YOU LIKE THE DICTIONARY SO MUCH HERE YOU GO

de·ny (d-n)
    tr.v. de·nied, de·ny·ing, de·nies
    1. To declare untrue; contradict.
    2. To refuse to believe; reject.
    3. To refuse to recognize or acknowledge; disavow.

de·ni·al [dih-nahy-uhl]
    noun
    an assertion that something said, believed, alleged, etc., is false: Despite his denials, we knew he had taken the purse. The politician issued a denial of his opponent's charges.
    refusal to believe a doctrine, theory, or the like.
    disbelief in the existence or reality of a thing.
    the refusal to satisfy a claim, request, desire, etc., or the refusal of a person making it.
    refusal to recognize or acknowledge; a disowning or disavowal: the traitor's denial of his country; Peter's denial of Christ.
  • Bodhi
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I know what deny means and there is not a contradiction. You don't even believe in the definitions provided by the dictionary so why even try to use it? If you're going to use the dictionary as a truthful reference, you'll need to accept the fact that there are two definitions given for atheism.

Atheism

By denying belief in the existence of the gem, you could say, "I refuse to believe the gem is in your hand but ultimately it is unknowable as to whether or not a gem is really there". Point out the contradiction in that, please.

Deny
    1: to declare untrue <deny an allegation>
    2: to refuse to admit or acknowledge : disavow <deny responsibility>
    3a : to give a negative answer to <denying the petitioners> b : to refuse to grant <deny a request> c : to restrain (oneself) from gratification of desires
    4: archaic : decline
    5: to refuse to accept the existence, truth, or validity of

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deny

^^^ As you can see in the definition for "deny", denial is a conscious decision, which is different from a simple lack of belief.
    The prefix "dis-" means the absense of something, or the lack of something.

Dis-
    a : do the opposite of <disestablish> b : deprive of (a specified quality, rank, or object) <disfranchise> c : exclude or expel from <disbar>
    2: opposite or absence of <disunion> <disaffection>
    3: not <disagreeable>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dis

Absent
    1: not present or attending : missing
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/absent[1]

Lack
    1: to be deficient or missing <time is lacking for a full explanation>

If you deny the existence of something, disbelief is already present. But disbelief does not always and completely equal conscious denial:

Disbelieve
    1: to hold not worthy of belief : not believe
    2: to withhold or reject belief

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disbelieving

(1) is the absence or lack of belief; (2) is disbelief by way of rejection or denial, as explained prior to the definition given.

• Bodhi
    edited February 2013
    Options
    (Weak Atheist) I don't believe in bigfoot but I'm not saying there aren't any somewhere in the universe; I'm not denying the possibility that they might exist.
    (Strong Atheist) I don't believe in square circles and I deny the existence of square circles.

see the difference?

(Agnostic Atheist) I don't believe there is an alternate universe with my evil twin inhabiting it but ultimately it is impossible to know whether there is or isn't one.
    (Gnostic Atheist) I don't believe there are flying horses on the earth and I believe it is possible to know whether or not they exist.

see the difference?

• zombie
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I know what deny means and there is not a contradiction. You don't even believe in the definitions provided by the dictionary so why even try to use it? If you're going to use the dictionary as a truthful reference, you'll need to accept the fact that there are two definitions given for atheism.

Atheism

By denying belief in the existence of the gem, you could say, "I refuse to believe the gem is in your hand but ultimately it is unknowable as to whether or not a gem is really there". Point out the contradiction in that, please.

Deny
    1: to declare untrue <deny an allegation>
    2: to refuse to admit or acknowledge : disavow <deny responsibility>
    3a : to give a negative answer to <denying the petitioners> b : to refuse to grant <deny a request> c : to restrain (oneself) from gratification of desires
    4: archaic : decline
    5: to refuse to accept the existence, truth, or validity of

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deny

^^^ As you can see in the definition for "deny", denial is a conscious decision, which is different from a simple lack of belief.
    The prefix "dis-" means the absense of something, or the lack of something.

Dis-
    a : do the opposite of <disestablish> b : deprive of (a specified quality, rank, or object) <disfranchise> c : exclude or expel from <disbar>
    2: opposite or absence of <disunion> <disaffection>
    3: not <disagreeable>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dis

Absent
    1: not present or attending : missing
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/absent[1]

Lack
    1: to be deficient or missing <time is lacking for a full explanation>

I never said i don't believe in the dictionary meaning for all words just for some and since it's the only source you respect i used it. There is no such thing as a weak atheist.
  • zombie
    Options
    (Weak Atheist) I don't believe in bigfoot but I'm not saying there aren't any somewhere in the universe; I'm not denying the possibility that they might exist.
    (Strong Atheist) I don't believe in square circles and I deny the existence of square circles.

see the difference?

(Agnostic Atheist) I don't believe there is an alternate universe with my evil twin inhabiting it but ultimately it is impossible to know whether there is or isn't one.
    (Gnostic Atheist) I don't believe there are flying horses on the earth and I believe it is possible to know whether or not they exist.

see the difference?

There is no such thing as a weak atheist.
  • Bodhi
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I never said i don't believe in the dictionary meaning for all words just for some and since it's the only source you respect i used it.

you don't believe in the dictionary meanings for words that you want to define any way you want which is unreasonable.
  • Bodhi
    Options

I just showed you there is.
  • zombie
    Options
    A disbelief is effectively a denial you cannot deny a thing exist and then say it is unknowable because by saying you deny it exist you have said you know it does not. So once you deny bigfoot that is the end of it.
  • Bodhi
    edited February 2013
    Options
    A disbelief is effectively a denial you cannot deny a thing exist and then say it is unknowable because by saying you deny it exist you have said you know it does not. So once you deny bigfoot that is the end of it.

Knowing and believing are not the same thing. You can choose to believe or not believe in something and not know 100% whether that thing exists.

• zombie
    Options
    I never said i don't believe in the dictionary meaning for all words just for some and since it's the only source you respect i used it.

you don't believe in the dictionary meanings for words that you want to define any way you want which is unreasonable.

I don't believe in dictionary words that contradict themselves the term weak atheist and the meanings you have given do.
  • zombie
    Options

I just showed you there is.

• Bodhi
    Options

Positive atheism (also called strong atheism and hard atheism) is the form of atheism that asserts that no deities exist. Negative atheism (also called weak atheism and soft atheism) is any other type of atheism, wherein a person does not believe in the existence of any deities, but does not explicitly assert there to be none
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_and_positive_atheism
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Just because you aren't able to wrap your head around a concept does not make it contradictory.
  • zombie
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Just because you aren't able to wrap your head around a concept does not make it contradictory.

i wrap my head around it perfectly, i understand what you are saying i just know it to be fiction. YOUR MEANINGS CONTRADICT THEMSELVES.
    there is no such thing as a weak atheist.
This discussion has been closed.