"Just a College Player" Appreciation Thread

Options
Billy_Poncho
Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
Just wanted to give a shoutout to all the guys who were great players in college but couldn't really get a career going in the league for whatever reason. Some of my favorite college players coming up were either two small, too slow, or had too many personal problems to have established pro careers. Here's starting it off...

Julius Hodge- dude was a beast in the ACC, heard he got shot when he first got in the league and then he just fizzled out..

0312juliushodge.JPG

Maurice Clarett- star back from that 2002 National Champ OSU team. ? his life up after that, but he was a monster as a freshman.

ohio-state-maurice-clarett-benefits-BB5I6JL-x-large.jpg

Scottie Reynolds- How the hell are you 1st team All-American and not even get drafted? Dude has yet to log an NBA minute, but he and the rest of that 4 guard lineup at Villanova were tough though. Put a smile on my face how they ran Duke out the gym in the tourney in '09...

scottie_reynolds--300x300.jpg

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hate to do this, but pretty much the entire 2002 OU Basketball Final Four Squad

Which included one of my Best friends, Ebi Ere, and Hollis Price.

s_ere_i.jpg6805168.jpeg

They're both playing overseas.

Ebi played a couple years Summer league for the Trailblazers.
    He kinda gave up on the league because he's making good money overseas and endorsements in Italy and Australia.

Not sure what Hollis is up to now.

Ironically, only one that's in the pros now from that squad is Kelvin Sampson. lol

SAMPSON_bw_sports__t300.jpg?8aff03de2423e912a2467e97388a07f5331c05b6

Rockets assistant now.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dee Nrown from Illinois, Adam Morrison takes the cake though
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hodge one of my favorites to ever watch....he use to carry those nc state on his back....had that tuff NY playground gritiness and nice overall game....I know he played a couple years with the bucks riding the pine....he was basically supposse to be what grevis vasquez is now, long slender 2 gaurd with PG skills...
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isiah "Juice" Williams

455px-Juicewilliams.jpg

Was one of the reasons players from the public schools in Chicago started to show interest in U of I again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isiah_Williams

Awards & Honors

2009 Honorable Mention All-Big Ten
    Set the Illinois all-time total offense record with 10,594 yards
    Set the Illinois starts record at the quarterback position with 44
    2008 Second-Team All-Big Ten
    Led the Big Ten in passing and total offense in 2008
    Broke three stadium records for total offense in a game in 2008 (Edward Jones Dome vs. Missouri, at Michigan Stadium, Illinois' Memorial Stadium vs. Minnesota)
    Led Illinois to Big Ten passing title in 2008 and rushing titles in 2006 and 2007
    Set Illini season total offense record in 2008
    Broke team school records for season total offense and rushing in 2007
    2007 Honorable Mention All-Big Ten

Career Records

Ranks fifth on the Big Ten career total offense list with 10,594 yards
    Topped the 8,000-yard mark this year with 8,037 career passing yards, which ranks third on the Illinois all-time list
    Ranks sixth on the Illinois all-time rushing list with 2,557 yards and is the first non-running back in school history to top the 2,000 yard career rushing mark
    Ranks second on the Big Ten career rushing yardage list for a quarterback.
    Rushed for over 100 yards six times in his career
    Registered 606 pass completions and 1,136 pass attempts which rank fourth and third, respectively, on the all-time list
    Has thrown 56 career touchdown passes, second on the Illinois list
    Has recorded 637 career carries, which ranks third in the Illinois record books
    Is the career Illinois record holder for rushing yards by a quarterback with 2,557

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_juice00.html

IMO he should have been drafted or at least on a roster in 2010.

Oddly enough, Chicago drafted a QB in 2011 (Nathan Enderle out of Idaho) who amassed stats against much inferior competition, had a losing record as a starter (17-29), and has yet to play a down in the league.

• SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    pretty much any player from Dook

/thread
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maurice Ager

p1_ager-ap.jpg

Hassan Adams

hassan-adams.jpg
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Isiah "Juice" Williams

455px-Juicewilliams.jpg

Was one of the reasons players from the public schools in Chicago started to show interest in U of I again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isiah_Williams

Awards & Honors

2009 Honorable Mention All-Big Ten
    Set the Illinois all-time total offense record with 10,594 yards
    Set the Illinois starts record at the quarterback position with 44
    2008 Second-Team All-Big Ten
    Led the Big Ten in passing and total offense in 2008
    Broke three stadium records for total offense in a game in 2008 (Edward Jones Dome vs. Missouri, at Michigan Stadium, Illinois' Memorial Stadium vs. Minnesota)
    Led Illinois to Big Ten passing title in 2008 and rushing titles in 2006 and 2007
    Set Illini season total offense record in 2008
    Broke team school records for season total offense and rushing in 2007
    2007 Honorable Mention All-Big Ten

Career Records

Ranks fifth on the Big Ten career total offense list with 10,594 yards
    Topped the 8,000-yard mark this year with 8,037 career passing yards, which ranks third on the Illinois all-time list
    Ranks sixth on the Illinois all-time rushing list with 2,557 yards and is the first non-running back in school history to top the 2,000 yard career rushing mark
    Ranks second on the Big Ten career rushing yardage list for a quarterback.
    Rushed for over 100 yards six times in his career
    Registered 606 pass completions and 1,136 pass attempts which rank fourth and third, respectively, on the all-time list
    Has thrown 56 career touchdown passes, second on the Illinois list
    Has recorded 637 career carries, which ranks third in the Illinois record books
    Is the career Illinois record holder for rushing yards by a quarterback with 2,557

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_juice00.html

IMO he should have been drafted or at least on a roster in 2010.

Oddly enough, Chicago drafted a QB in 2011 (Nathan Enderle out of Idaho) who amassed stats against much inferior competition, had a losing record as a starter (17-29), and has yet to play a down in the league.

He works at CDW in Chicago now...my boy works with him
  • Jeremyiahest83
    Jeremyiahest83 Members Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Showing my age & I don't know how to upload photos but "Ed Cota" North Carolina mid-late 90's pg. Dude was a BEAST.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn this thread could be goat

Ima say mateen cleaves

Wait for more posters to drop ppl
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Frank Williams I thought this dude was future PG in the League but for some reason disappeared
    t1_williams_ap_01.jpg
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dejuan wheat, labradford smith, jerome harmon , ellis myles, alvin simms, larry o'bannon,
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dejuan wheat, labradford smith, jerome harmon , ellis myles, alvin simms, larry o'bannon,

reece-gaines.jpg
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Inb4 someone says ? shamgod
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ed O' Bannon got this.
    Ed%20O%27Bannon%20UCLA.jpg
  • SocialAssassinRati
    Options
    any white boy ESPN and ? Vitale hypes up...adam morrison, jimmer, dan dickau,....matter of fact can I just change my answer to any white boy that was "nice" in college period?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I forgot all about Hollis Price. WTF was up with that red mouthpiece...? was extra large or something

Yo what happened to Khalid El Amin?

I remember reading a "where are they now" story on that big white boy from West VA a few years ago. Don't even remember his name or how nice he was now, I think he may have hit a huge shot or something.

Oh ? Kevin Pittsnogle...lol
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i'm pretty sure khalid el amin is still playing overseas...was one of the best players in whatever league he was in.. i'm sure thats not the case now, but i think he still plays
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Joe Alexander, people thought he was gonna mix intangibles and scrap wit that athleticism and become an elite SF in the league. He didn't, but damn dude could dunk his ass off.

JoeAlexFoulOut.jpg

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I forgot all about Hollis Price. WTF was up with that red mouthpiece...? was extra large or something

Yo what happened to Khalid El Amin?

I remember reading a "where are they now" story on that big white boy from West VA a few years ago. Don't even remember his name or how nice he was now, I think he may have hit a huge shot or something.

Oh ? Kevin Pittsnogle...lol

Every time I watch my Thunder and see Westbrook, I see what I "thought" Hollis could be in the league. He wasn't nearly as athletic as Russell but he had that same scrappiness and vicious first step, and wasn't afraid to shoot it.
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »

reece-gaines.jpg

forgot about my ? reece. damn i thought he would of been the ? in the league. i guess not.

• texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • SocialAssassinRati
    Options
    Hakim Warrick and Stromile Swift
  • proud_babydaddy
    proud_babydaddy Members Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Options
    All florida qbs since Danny wurfel **spelling. Peter Warrick, i blame akili smith though. USC qbs