Husbands who do housework may have less sex, study says

Options
caddo man
caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
Husbands who do a lot of cooking, cleaning, laundry and other traditionally female forms of housework may do their marriages some good -- but, contrary to popular belief, they are not rewarded with more sex, a new study finds.

Instead, it's the guys who do the most lawn work, car repair, driving and bill-paying – traditional men's jobs – who have the most sex in marriage, the study suggests. The same is true for women who do the most traditional female housework, according to the study published in the February issue of American Sociological Review.

For better or worse, the authors say, heterosexual married couples may still be reading from traditional "sexual scripts" when it comes to both housework and sex.

In other words, the study concludes: "Men or women may, in essence, be turned on (however indirectly) when partners in a marriage do more gender-traditional work."

The study comes with one major caveat: It is based on data collected two decades ago. While the researchers say little has likely changed since then, some other experts disagree.

The researchers, from the Juan March Institute in Spain and the University of Washington in Seattle, looked at data collected on about 4,500 heterosexual married U.S. couples participating in the National Survey of Families and Households between 1992 and 1994. The couples reported having sex an average of five times a month.

Couples in which women did all of the traditional female chores had sex 1.6 times more each month than couples in which men did all of those jobs. The more cooking and cleaning a husband did, the less sex the couple had; women's cooking and cleaning was linked with more sex. Couples in which men did more traditional male chores also had more sex; it did not seem to matter if women did more or less of those chores.

The findings were not linked to male or female earnings or to religious beliefs.

But before the nation's husbands throw out their dishcloths, they might want to consider this: The study does not say more traditional couples are more satisfied with their sex lives or their marriages. The researchers cite other studies showing that "when men do more housework, wives' perceptions of fairness and marital satisfaction tend to rise." Couples with more equal divisions of labor also are less likely to divorce, research shows.

"Some women may find a guy more sexy when he's fixing something around the house than when he's doing the ironing," says Stephanie Coontz, director of research and public education for the Council on Contemporary Families. "I'm not surprised that there are many women and men who still find the old ways more sexy. But there also are couples who now find egalitarian relationships more sexy and a better prescription for long-term happiness in marriage."

A survey conducted today likely would find more couples in the latter category, says Coontz, who teaches history and family studies at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash.

Also worth noting: The study did not include childcare -- so it says nothing about whether men who change diapers have more or less sex.

Comments

• caddo man
    Options
    This is some ? you women may want to keep away from your man.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that's either utter ? or i'm the anomaly of the matrix......

050611_1240_TheRoadHome1.jpg
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    saw this ? yesterday.....idk i thought it was ? at first but when i thought about it, it makes sense...we already know women are turned on when they watch us work or play sports or whatever....same thing the other way around....i know i get a little rush when i come in and the house is clean and i smell food cooking....gotta go love on her for a min lol
  • caddo man
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    this is why we should never get away from traditional gender roles. this ? is is unnatural action with unnatural consequences.

Gotdamnit, Matt!!!!!

i1t2dTOhKKo2y.gif
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Sex should never be a reward for any act someone does

• MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    Sex should never be a reward for any act someone does

witholding sex should never be a punishment

I agree with that too
  • Supreme_Mind999
    Supreme_Mind999 Members Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word?I'm about to go fix a car RIGHT NOW!!

*Changes oil*

*Looks around to see if any women watching*
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marriage is just the Politically Correct way of saying "That's My ? ". So if the Hubby is doing all that ? , at least a ? is in order. No woman is above a ? . NOT ONE.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ? I look like rewarding a man for cleaning up after himself?

Coming home to a clean house and cooked meal will encourage some ? tho. Just means I have more time to ? you and not do housework

that's what the man would say tho.

today: "yeah imma clean this house, fold the laundry, dust the furniture so when my girl gets here she'll be having all kinds of free time to ? "

girl comes home

they ?

the next day: "yeah, last night was off the chain. aintevenknow she could do all dat..imma clean this house, fold the laundry, dust the furniture so when my girl gets here she'll be having all kinds of free time to ? just like that again"

girl comes home

goes straight to sleep

MAN:
    1899644_o.gif

*repeat for the next 150 days.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    It goes back to women like to see men do manly things. When I do house work my wife is always bugging. You didnt do this right, You didnt do that right.

When I am outside doing yard work or putting together some thing in the house(sons basketball goal, daughter bed) She dont have ? to say. Cause that is a MANual job. She dont know ? about. Women like resourceful men that do things like that. My wife's car wouldnt start. I went outside with my tools and fixed the car. Got some ? that night. Gutter fell off the house. I went outside with my tools and fixed it. Got some ? that night. I cleaned the kitchen and cooked a full course meal. MFer ate my food and went to sleep on a full stomach. I learned my lesson.

Word yo. They making it ? impossible to work on cars now u less you're a ? astrophysicist. I still do the yard and so e of the electrical work around the house though.
  • twatgetta
    Options
    ? I look like rewarding a man for cleaning up after himself?

Coming home to a clean house and cooked meal will encourage some ? tho. Just means I have more time to ? you and not do housework

Same way you would want some sort of "reward" for bodyslamming those pots and pans all day. It's just appreciation.
  • caddo man
    Options
    It goes back to women like to see men do manly things. When I do house work my wife is always bugging. You didnt do this right, You didnt do that right.

When I am outside doing yard work or putting together some thing in the house(sons basketball goal, daughter bed) She dont have ? to say. Cause that is a MANual job. She dont know ? about. Women like resourceful men that do things like that. My wife's car wouldnt start. I went outside with my tools and fixed the car. Got some ? that night. Gutter fell off the house. I went outside with my tools and fixed it. Got some ? that night. I cleaned the kitchen and cooked a full course meal. MFer ate my food and went to sleep on a full stomach. I learned my lesson.

Word yo. They making it ? impossible to work on cars now u less you're a ? astrophysicist. I still do the yard and so e of the electrical work around the house though.

I dont even think about touching our 2012 Honda. Pop the hood and it take you an hour just to be able to get pass all the damn engine covers.

That 99 4runner though. Break that ? down to parade rest. <<military saying
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I dont even think about touching our 2012 Honda. Pop the hood and it take you an hour just to be able to get pass all the damn engine covers.

I gotcha. LOL I use to be in the Army. I just copped a 2013 Charger and I don't even know how to take the radio out to and this lock pick to allow the DVD player to run while driving. Got a little more research to do.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know i couldn't view a woman in the same light if she was getting all hyped up about cutting the grass, weedeating, blowing leaves, walking around with the power tools looking for ? to use them on. It would effect how i view her, but it would also effect how i viewed myself. If i said, "honey, i just washed my feet and its supposed to rain tomorrow, so can you please go cut the grass" I would just rather be dead than conduct my business in such a manner.

i can't speak for women, but i'm guessing they would view their spouse differently if they were regularly doing things like, i dont know, just general housecleaning stuff. I would think it would changer your perception of what a man is supposed to do. I mean, how could you have a group of people over and all the men were talking about their lawns and your husband is sitting over there looking like they are speaking a foreign language. How's that gonna look?? HE'S GONE LOOK LIKE A STRAIGHT UP ? AND THATS EXACTLY HOW YOU'LL TREAT HIM. Lookin like an ol 'got me doin the dishes...anything for some kisses' gump...yo, doing stuff around the house on occasion is one thing, but making it his primary job is another.

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel a certain way when he does too much housework...as equal rights I am, I still was raised by my mother and I feel like it's my job to do that, just like it's his job to take the trash, fix the cars, pay the Mexicans to mow the lawn, etc.

Every now and again is a pleasant surprise though. He had dinner on when I got home from work on Wednesday..that was sexy.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • twatgetta
    Options
    I feel a certain way when he does too much housework...as equal rights I am, I still was raised by my mother and I feel like it's my job to do that, just like it's his job to take the trash, fix the cars, pay the Mexicans to mow the lawn, etc.

Every now and again is a pleasant surprise though. He had dinner on when I got home from work on Wednesday..that was sexy.

Set duties never work. My homie used that idea and they always argued over who was suppose to do what. When yall should just do whatever and keep it moving. not like you're above taking out the trash...smdh
  • Kat
    Options
    I never have to cause he stays on top of his ? . Only time I've taken out trash is when he's been out of town.

He's ex-military and very neat...makes me look a bit messy at times. =(
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess its alright to help out, sweep the the floor, not afraid to touch dishes, you know light duty. But if he starts washing walls and baseboards and other fine detail work, I'm done. That's my meditation, take that away and somebody's gonna getta hurt.
  • caddo man
    Options
    I never have to cause he stays on top of his ? . Only time I've taken out trash is when he's been out of town.

He's ex-military and very neat...makes me look a bit messy at times. =(

That ? dont mean nothing
  • Kat
    Options
    .IRS. wrote: »
    I guess its alright to help out, sweep the the floor, not afraid to touch dishes, you know light duty. But if he starts washing walls and baseboards and other fine detail work, I'm done. That's my meditation, take that away and somebody's gonna getta hurt.

Hey if you ever need some extra 'meditation' hit me up. =)

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the key is to not over do it. don't trying to help out on a regular basis.