the rock's current backstage reputation

Options
TheBoyRo
TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
During The Rock's third WrestleMania Season Tour with WWE, there are still feelings of resentment toward him in some circles of the locker room.

Rock addressed that in a Twitter post Saturday night. "Thank U WWE Superstars for the awesome welcoming me back & getting the 'big picture' plan. You're true locker room leaders! #RoadToMania," Rock tweeted.

Not all are on-board with the "big picture plan," which is essentially that Rock's return makes everything in WWE bigger and makes everyone more money. This is especially the case after Rock's in-ring return at the Royal Rumble, which received mixed reviews backstage. The following is an exclusive break down of sources of resentment in the locker room.

- Some wrestlers noted that Rock came back to WWE looking very muscular in a way that they believe they cannot, whether it's because of the schedule or how WWE approaches their careers.

- At the Rumble, there was some resentment toward Rock because they felt he was not in great ring shape for his first match back in WWE. Now there's pressure on Rock to come back at the Elimination Chamber in two weeks in better cardio condition. Also, the pressure is on to be in-shape for WrestleMania in April, but the issue for Rock is that Mania is one month before he films "Hercules," which is a role that he has to look jacked for.

- Wrestlers with an eye for how other wrestlers perform have noted that Rock wasn't moving around much in the ring with C.M. Punk. The main point of emphasis is that Rock did not bounce or spring off the ropes as much as he used to. Rock is 40-years-old now, is carrying muscle mass, and there was ring rust at the Rumble PPV. At 40, it's starting to be noticeable and it's more difficult to shake off the ring rust.

The Rumble PPV match could be passed off as Rock holding back for the Chamber, especially knowing it would be a re-match against Punk. But, there is no hiding ring rust.

- Rock is said to have no allies from the current locker room. Rock has isolated himself behind-the-scenes, which is due to how he feels he's been treated since returning to WWE and so that he can tend to other business affairs. But, there are also stories of how Rock has gone out of his way to talk to wrestlers and offer advice. It's a touchy situation, almost on a case-by-case basis how certain wrestlers receive him, which has led to mixed feelings about Rock's presence in WWE.

Rock senses it. According to backstage sources, Rock feels like he's being scrutinized by the current locker room. After his memorable pre-match promo during the Rumble PPV, Rock carried himself like, 'How do you like that everyone who doubts me?' There was an extra spring in his step, which some observers took as either adrenaline before the match or arrogance. As an "outsider," it came across like Rock telling people, 'Don't forget that I can do that. Now, you step up and do it.'

- Also from Rock's pre-title match promo, Rock did not stray from the truth when he said he came back to WWE for the fans and for his mom, who was shown in the crowd. The message is that he did not come back to WWE for the wrestlers, especially due to how he feels he's been treated since returning.

It comes down to Rock enjoying the live-crowd interaction and having a rich family tradition in the wrestling business. Rock is certainly getting paid nicely and there is loyalty to WWE and Vince McMahon, but his main loyalty is to pro wrestling genre, and WWE is the biggest stage.

- Another source of locker room resentment is the feeling that Rock is using his planned WWE Title run as a marketing tool for his movie career. Wrestlers feel like Rock is telling lapsed wrestling fans that he's "part of WWE again" and he still likes wrestling, so come see my latest movie. Essentially, the relationship is mutually beneficial for both Rock and WWE, which will be getting plenty of mainstream exposure when Rock starts promoting his 2013 slate of movies.

PWTORCH.COM

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol this ? right here!

tumblr_m4lspmz4nu1rro22oo1_250.gif

Hilarious.

If its real, which it very well may be, I understand it. There are probably true parts in it but I imagine its mostly hyperbole. The article was written to make Rocky look like a victim of backstage bullies as if he's not the biggest star there...and as if anyone has any clout to say anything to him or WWE brass about it. Fact is not everyone is happy Rock is back and people need to recognize that.

Rock is steroids man everyone knows that He'll never be tested though, he needs to be huge for this movie role he's about to do (Hercules). He's used the 'roids before, its no big deal. Problem is nobody else can do it because they run the risk of being suspended and fired...unless your Randy Orton of course.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Its ridiculous. They should be taking every piece of advice Rock can dish out. That weak locker room ain't nothing without Rock, Cena, or Punk every week.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rock>>>> candyasses
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone needs to step to him and say that ? , or shut the ? up with all these hurt-ass feelins.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ehh the roids rumor I don't really believe. Y'all gotta remember, the Rock has been a gym rat since high school. Still is. So I don't doubt that ? has been puttin in work.

Lol @ the other wrestlers mad. For what? A lot of the talent they got us garbage. Hell I say bring Austin, HHH, Taker, Micheals, the whole DX crew, and everybody from the Attitude Era back. B/c this current roster is garbage. CM Punk would've fit perfect during that era.

But to get mad b/c Rock came back? C'mon now. His promos>>>>>>>>majority of the current roster. Smh.

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CM Punk or John Cena needs to be real and address that locker room on an episode of Raw. Tell them ? in front of everyone if y'all don't like it when the rock comes around and takes your main event spot, prove to the wwe that you deserve that spot. Make yourselves superstars! Don't give the wwe a reason to call rock or Steve Austin or hhh. Take over your own damn show.

Exactly! What does that say about the current talent when they gotta bring Rock, and other previous superstars back?
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    CM Punk or John Cena needs to be real and address that locker room on an episode of Raw. Tell them ? in front of everyone if y'all don't like it when the rock comes around and takes your main event spot, prove to the wwe that you deserve that spot. Make yourselves superstars! Don't give the wwe a reason to call rock or Steve Austin or hhh. Take over your own damn show.

Exactly! What does that say about the current talent when they gotta bring Rock, and other previous superstars back?

That the roster is weak ? .
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Promos are easy to cut on a guy like the Rock in this current situation.

Punk must've been told to not mention him not being there, because I expected Punk to go in about that on RAW.
  • Mr.LV
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Promos are easy to cut on a guy like the Rock in this current situation.

Punk must've been told to not mention him not being there, because I expected Punk to go in about that on RAW.

Yeah I was scratching my head on that he kept mentioning the rock being champion but did not mention him not being on Raw CM Punk could have went there.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Rock needs to come through and stunt on ? in a $100,000 shirt
  • Mr.LV
    Options

This current roster is not ready for all that Gucci, Versace swag lets be real about this you think they are mad now they would be livid if started dressing like that after elimination chamber leading up to wrestlemania .
    102.jpg
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Is it they or is it one person name Paul Levesque?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Morris Day wrote: »
    Is it they or is it one person name Paul Levesque?

?? It's one person, HHH.

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Be funny if he came out in those shirts...but He said that not his style.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I can see HHH tryna be the ? to take the belt off the Rock
  • buffalo butt
    buffalo butt Members Posts: 32
    Options
    Rock needs to turn heelish and drop that ether to locker room ?
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »

This current roster is not ready for all that Gucci, Versace swag lets be real about this you think they are mad now they would be livid if started dressing like that after elimination chamber leading up to wrestlemania .
    102.jpg

Seeing as though Christian is the only one who still does the street clothes thing...that would be devastating to the locker room
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Forgot about Cena
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    - Some wrestlers noted that Rock came back to WWE looking very muscular in a way that they believe they cannot, whether it's because of the schedule or how WWE approaches their careers.

I literally laughed out loud at this ^^^

? mad cause he bigger than they are?

if the people in the back were as good as they thought they were ...the wwe would have never pressured the rock, austin and taker to make guest appearences...during attitude era u think WWF was calling the warrior to bring him back?

these wack ? need to get on board or get ran over...whining b/c a ? is successful

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can see the rock as hercules...but he would make a dope kratos

*waits for people to complain about his race*
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »

I literally laughed out loud at this ^^^

? mad cause he bigger than they are?

if the people in the back were as good as they thought they were ...the wwe would have never pressured the rock, austin and taker to make guest appearences...during attitude era u think WWF was calling the warrior to bring him back?

these wack ? need to get on board or get ran over...whining b/c a ? is successful

They did once back 1996 and he sucked