is Michael Jordan overrated ??

Options
Jeezyfan4ever
Jeezyfan4ever Confirm Email Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭
Okay...before ya blast me hear me out. Most people see Jordan as the "best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be". Now I'm not saying he isn't the best basketball player to play the game, but it seems like people put him on this pedestal and proclaim him to be lightyears better than other All-Time greats(Magic, Russell, Kobe, etc.)

Is it basketball blasphemy to say Jordan is overrated?
Is it even possible for the GOAT to be overrated?

Comments

• Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He will only be the best ever if players keep thinking they can't be better. He is one of the best players ever, but if the world last another thousand years someone will be better
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would you rather be overrated than underpaid?
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    Would you rather be overrated than underpaid?

Well he was underpaid for most of his career . He sacrificed being highly paid to win but to me he was overrated doesn't mean he wasn't a great player but greatest ever no .
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Just please stop. Thank you.
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Closed this ? please... ? must just hit puberty asking ? questions like this. Look at his accomplishments ? ? !!
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Closed this ? please... ? must just hit puberty asking ? questions like this. Look at his accomplishments ? ? !!

Their are basketball players that more accomplished then him you know that right and they never had to retire for

gambling addiction .
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just looking at the title of the thread i thought this was a woah thread.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    knights wrote: »
    I'll answer this the same way I always do: if Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Larry Bird, and a list of other greats put the man above themselves without compensation, the debate is settled.

I don't care what Joe Blow Rec Center has to say about watching Magic or Oscar Robinson when Magic and Oscar Robinson say, "Nah, son was the nicest."

Overrated is what Cheap Seats does every time a dude has a nice game or five. Jordan earned his spot. Analyze it, twist it, and whatever else, fact still remains Jordan > your favorite player.

do ya homework G, Kareem has NEVER conceded MJ to be the undisputed GOAT
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    six for six in finals, plus he kept a decade of golden age big men Hakeem(had to wait till Mike was on the baseball tip) Pat Ewing, Shaq in Orlando, David Robinson, Brad Daurtey,Charles Barkey, karl Malone, Rik Smits, Tom Chambers, Dominiq Wilkens and alltime great guards like stockton, Chuck Person, Mark Price, Clyde the Glide, Gary Payton, Mark Jackson, Derek Harper, Reggie miller,Penny, Kevin Johnson, even stopped Magic his last few years...Stopped all them guys from gettin rings on his watch.

? went through 2 of the alltime most physical defenses ever to play the game, The Badboy Pistons and the New York Knicks in the mid 90's

There is nothing overatted about that. He dominated the league for a decade when it had the most talented and driven superstars
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To take it even further Mike transcended the game of Basketball. He dominated the game on both ends of the floor. Every game he wanted to ? your will and pride. This ? was 40 still putting 20 a game. Yall need to stop Jordan was greatness and the GOAT.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There should be no serious responses to this thread.
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    To take it even further Mike transcended the game of Basketball. He dominated the game on both ends of the floor. Every game he wanted to ? your will and pride. This ? was 40 still putting 20 a game. Yall need to stop Jordan was greatness and the GOAT.

c/s....there are only a handful of players that did this Wilt, Kareem, Magic/Larry(debatable but they helped carry the league prior to MJ coming in), Micheal, Shaq, Kobe/Lebron(again debatable especially wit Kobe but him and KG helped open the flood gates for ? to make the leap from HS to the pros), and Wilt and Kareem had it easy cuz they were clearly the best and biggest guys on the court....whereas Jordan dominated as a guard for a long period of time....since no wing player has surpassed his accomplishments it's easy to see why he is considered the GOAT
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Woooooowww WOAT way to start a. Friday
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd probably agree he was at least a little overrated if there weren't so many people trying to discredit him and argue against his greatness. Half the time you hear people heaping praise onto MJ, it's the result of responding to people who forgot or weren't old enough to know how good MJ really was.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put it this way, Kareem and Bill are just as accomplished as he is, they just didn't have the timing or marketing of MJ. ? need to stop acting like Nike's branding isn't why MJ is who he is today.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Put it this way, Kareem and Bill are just as accomplished as he is, they just didn't have the timing or marketing of MJ. ? need to stop acting like Nike's branding isn't why MJ is who he is today.

This is an example of what I'm talking about. MJ didn't get good because he had Nike's branding. He got Nike's branding because he was good. He was already a star and already seen as one of the best in the league before Nike's compain really went full swing. Yeah, MJ is a household name because of that merchandising, but that has nothing to do with the discussion about his greatness on the court. When people make their arguments about why he's the GOAT they name his accomplishments, his BBall IQ, his desire to win at all costs. Nobody's running around talking about "MJ is the greatest because he sold thousands of shoes." The marketing is why people who don't follow BBall think MJ is the greatest. It has nothing to do with why people who actually watch the sport think that way.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In befo Kiss, Sheek louch, and Styles P.
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody know Kevin Duckworth the real GOAT.
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The BDB wrote: »
    Everybody know Kevin Duckworth the real GOAT.

Clifford Robinson>>>>Duckworth

• peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All these replies and not one from bilfiger? Must be his day off.
    I almost have to keep this open just for the hilarity that will come with his reply lol
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ^I wouldn't entertain a thread like this go head and lock it
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    MJ stat comparison with the greats
This discussion has been closed.