NBA Discussion: The Anatomy and Psychology of a Max Deal Player in the Tax Trade Era .

Options
MC The Rapper
MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
During the 2012 lockout there were new provisions added the Collective Bargaining Agreement to promote more Parity in the league and to prevent the Large Market teams from procuring all of the top talent . A more punitive luxury was established as well as the Amnesty clause , and (the less talked about) ability to re negotiate contracts . Fast Forward and we're at the midway point of 2012-2013 season, 12 days before the trade deadline. We have already had a few notable tax trades(Rudy ? /James Harden) with more to come . Josh Smith is the biggest name to be moved at the trade deadline . After talks between his representatives and the Atlanta Hawks Front Office they have stated they will not give him a max deal . This poses a bigger question , What makes a max deal player ? For years many players have been paid max money but don't have max money talent or disposition . I think a definitive criteria should be developed so these wack muthafuckas can stop being paid above their talent level .

So Lets discuss what's makes a Max player.

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Max deal player is consistently great.. there are no "averages" that are benchmarks to make them Worthy...

If you change the culture of your team and are conducive to winning.. and an attraction that bring in a ton of court money, sponsors endorsements. maker you are max deal worthy.. The first part is the most important..

Their are some exceptions to the rule..
  • tha fury
    tha fury Members Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LeBron James
    Dwayne Wade
    Kevin Durant
    Kevin Love
    Kobe Bryant
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul
    Carmelo Anthony
    Derrick Rose
    Rajon Rondo
    Russel Westbrook

These are the only max level players in the league. No one else deserves one, and if anybody else has one they're being over paid.
  • MC The Rapper
    edited February 2013
    Options
    tha fury wrote: »
    LeBron James
    Dwayne Wade
    Kevin Durant
    Kevin Love
    Kobe Bryant
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul
    Carmelo Anthony
    Derrick Rose
    Rajon Rondo
    Russel Westbrook

These are the only max level players in the league. No one else deserves one, and if anybody else has one they're being over paid.

Kevin Love is not being a paid max deal because Minnesota didn't feel like he was a real difference maker to their team. Rajon Rondo is kinda questionable as a max deal player his disposition and inability to play consistently in the regular season . He doesn't deserve max money because you have to have really good players around to get him to the playoffs . Where he plays at a very high level.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rondo is not a max player

lolrondo.0_standard_709.0.gif

Lol @ "the best pg in the nba" just cuz he goes to the ecf fucc outta here
  • tha fury
    Options
    Imo Kevin love because he puts up max player numbers when healthy: 25 & 12. That ain't falling off trees, but I do agree about him not affecting the team very much and that I can't explain.

I was iffy on Rondo as well, but dude is young and will improve. I don't think a team would go wrong giving him a max deal.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imo Kevin love because he puts up max player numbers when healthy: 25 & 12. That ain't falling off trees, but I do agree about him not affecting the team very much and that I can't explain.

I was iffy on Rondo as well, but dude is young and will improve. I don't think a team would go wrong giving him a max deal.

His 25 a game comes in a inefficient manner and his defense is doo doo butter. That's why he has no impact, his deficiencies cancel out his best attributes.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • tha fury
    Options
    Defense can be taught and worked on, and I've seen dude get timely buckets many times, so I don't think his scoring is inefficient.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max players don't get injured and have their team go on a 6 game winning streak without them.
  • tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Replace rondo with the boy kyrie. Probably will get that D- rose contract when his rookie one expires
  • thagame
    thagame Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Options
    A max player should be a player that put fans in the stands road or away. The NBA is a business so a max player should be bringing in revenue for owners to balance out the max contract given to the player. Max players should be capable of putting the team on their back in the playoffs and that player should be top 5 in their position. There are some exceptions. No player should be signing a max contract past 34 years old. Not saying all of these fit that description

Max Players

Rondo
    Kobe
    Dwight
    Rose
    Lebron
    Wade
    Durant
    Westbrok
    Love
    Paul
    Griffin
    Carmelo
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    tha bause wrote: »
    Replace rondo with the boy kyrie. Probably will get that D- rose contract when his rookie one expires

That boy is brittle he gotta play a whole season relatively injury free before he can be considered for the Full D-Rose as they call it .
  • tha fury
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    Max players don't get injured and have their team go on a 6 game winning streak without them.

? rose hasn't played the whole year and the bulls are 4th in the east. Good teams find a way to win and play harder when their best player isn't there, the Celtics aren't better without Rondo.
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »

? rose hasn't played the whole year and the bulls are 4th in the east. Good teams find a way to win and play harder when their best player isn't there, the Celtics aren't better without Rondo.

They are better without Rondo at least in the Regular season dude is a stat stuffer . He more worried about his stats then winning games case in point his double digit assist streak .
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Rudy ? > Rondo
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    player is worth whatever he can get.

? them rich owners.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Each team has to decide for themselves, it's not black and white.
  • jayhi22
    jayhi22 Members Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A Max Player is someone who:

Plays great every season.
    Changes Cultures
    Puts fans in seats both Home/Away
    Endorsements - Brings attention to the player, but also the team. Also, has to be marketable, not just for products, but for charities. To help bring good will to the team, himself & city.

As of this season:

LeBron
    KD
    Kobe

CP3
    Rose
    Dwight
    Melo

Bolded are players that are (or in KD/Rose's cases, will be VERY SOON) viewed as more than just an NBA player.

Players like Westbrook, Love & Rondo are strictly NBA All-Stars - You won't be able to separate them from being just NBA players. Really good players, but they all have their flaws.

Wade - He's a name still because of past performances, but his game has not stood out this year. Good year for him, but I don't believe you can be a Max player when you are drastically overshadowed by a player on your own team.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    jayhi22 wrote: »

Changes Cultures
    Endorsements - Brings attention to the player, but also the team. Also, has to be marketable, not just for products, but for charities. To help bring good will to the team, himself & city.

As of this season:

LeBron
    KD
    Kobe

CP3
    Rose
    Dwight
    Melo

Bolded are players that are (or in KD/Rose's cases, will be VERY SOON) viewed as more than just an NBA player.

Players like Westbrook, Love & Rondo are strictly NBA All-Stars - You won't be able to separate them from being just NBA players. Really good players, but they all have their flaws.

Wade - He's a name still because of past performances, but his game has not stood out this year. Good year for him, but I don't believe you can be a Max player when you are drastically overshadowed by a player on your own team.

Smh.

Bruh Rose and Westbrook is almost Tue same player.

Got a question for you. What makes Rose so much better then Westbrook?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Changes Cultures

As of this season:

LeBron
    KD
    Kobe

CP3
    Rose
    Dwight
    Melo

Smh.

unfortunately "likeability" takes precedent to alot of people...
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I'll pick Rus over Rose.

Durability is the deciding factor.
  • jayhi22
    Options

Changes Cultures

As of this season:

LeBron
    KD
    Kobe

CP3
    Rose
    Dwight
    Melo

Smh.

If we're talking straight basketball, then yeah they're comparable. You can't just look at the numbers though. Rose's leadership i.e. being responsible, is what sets him apart on the court. Add in the fact that RW is one of the worst decision makers in the league -- Makes Rose better.

This thread isn't about "who's better" though. It's about being the face of a franchise. I don't want the most important person in my organization throwing a fit on the court, having to walk to the back just so he can calm down.

Rose brought Chicago basketball back into a serious contender, and is single-handedly bringing adidas basketball back to the playing field. MVP Rose is much capable of being a "Face" than Westbrook is.
  • MC The Rapper
    Options

Changes Cultures

As of this season:

LeBron
    KD
    Kobe

CP3
    Rose
    Dwight
    Melo

Smh.

If we're talking straight basketball, then yeah they're comparable. You can't just look at the numbers though. Rose's leadership i.e. being responsible, is what sets him apart on the court. Add in the fact that RW is one of the worst decision makers in the league -- Makes Rose better.

This thread isn't about "who's better" though. It's about being the face of a franchise. I don't want the most important person in my organization throwing a fit on the court, having to walk to the back just so he can calm down.

Rose brought Chicago basketball back into a serious contender, and is single-handedly bringing adidas basketball back to the playing field. MVP Rose is much capable of being a "Face" than Westbrook is.

Y'all be killing me with the D.Rose propaganda , Thibs brought Chicago basketball back . I don't see a whole a lot of people running to get the new D.Rose sneakers either .
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Shoutout to Rose for missing this season and the bulls is still a top 3 team in the East.

Elvo told me that Thibbs is the best coach and I did a lil research watched some games past and present.

Thibbs is the reason Bulls is back.

Rose missed 32 games last year (half the season) and they still was the #1 team.
  • jayhi22
    Options

Changes Cultures

As of this season:

LeBron
    KD
    Kobe

CP3
    Rose
    Dwight
    Melo

Smh.

Y'all be killing me with the D.Rose propaganda , Thibs brought Chicago basketball back . I don't see a whole a lot of people running to get the new D.Rose sneakers either .

The Bulls made the Playoffs before Thibs was even the head coach. They were .500 in Rose's 1st year. Without Rose this year, 1st round exit... With Rose, potential to go to the Finals.

Most people who buy Rose's don't rock them casually, strictly for hooping. I said he's bringing adidas back, and it's not just his shoe people are clamoring for, its the Crazy Light as well. All thanks to Rose.