CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THIS VICK CONTRACT THING?

Options
MARIO_DRO
MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
DUDE JUST RESIGNED/EXTENSION WITH PHILLY FOR 1 YEAR, 10 MILL...

LAST YEAR HE GOT A CONTRACT FOR LIKE 80-100MIL FOR SOME YEARS RIGHT?.. SO HOW DOES THIS WORK?

HE AINT GOT THAT BIG CONTRACT NO MORE OR WHAT?

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    restructured his contract.. the only other option was for them to cut him at the rate he was getting

so basically the old contract is null and now he only gets a 1 year deal
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAM....THATS CRAZY.....OLE WELL, THAT ? BETTER STEP UP
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know all his boys back home are asking this same question
  • major pain
    Options
    DAM....THATS CRAZY.....OLE WELL, THAT ? BETTER STEP UP

a lot of that money was incentive based and/or roster bonuses

prime example.. i think he would have been owed 15m just for being on the roster in May, if they cut him he gets 0

he stays at his current level though.. i can see them cutting him mid-season

• spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The dude wants to play and feels like this might be his best opportunity, so he sacrificed some player. That's someone who loves the game would do.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good for both sides.

We ALL knew unless Vick brought home a Lombardi (or at the very least, an MVP) he wasn't finishing that contract with that salary set the way it was. And we all know how much of a raw deal deal Vick took last year, from the ? offensive line EVER, to Fat Andy outright refusing to run bootlegs for this man, or letting the running game support Vick.

So, in this system, which almost fits Vick's skill set to a TEE, Chip gets to try Vick out for a year. THIS will determine if Vick really is still about that NFL life.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's called no guaranteed contracts.... He was finna get big money from his previous deal but they was gonna cut him so they didn't have to pay. All these big 100 mil dollar deals are ? cuz u will never see the money. They will cut u like ahmad bradshaw or make u resign like Vick
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I wouldn't say they are BS. It's just that the people who have been getting them either didn't deserve them or were at points in their career where they weren't going to be good enough to for long enough to really collect.
  • aneed123
    Options
    Naw they are all bs... No player will ever see the full amount they will cut u first. Oh snap so and so is due for his 15 mil this yr and we need cap space... ? it cut him
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL contracts are the WOAT. NBA and MLB ftw
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good for both sides.

We ALL knew unless Vick brought home a Lombardi (or at the very least, an MVP) he wasn't finishing that contract with that salary set the way it was. And we all know how much of a raw deal deal Vick took last year, from the ? offensive line EVER, to Fat Andy outright refusing to run bootlegs for this man, or letting the running game support Vick.

So, in this system, which almost fits Vick's skill set to a TEE, Chip gets to try Vick out for a year. THIS will determine if Vick really is still about that NFL life.

I agree with everything you said, but Mike gotta' get some of that blame for last year also. The past 2 years he's went down hill, which is terrible especially since he went off in 2010.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    SupremeXXV wrote: »
    Good for both sides.

I agree with everything you said, but Mike gotta' get some of that blame for last year also. The past 2 years he's went down hill, which is terrible especially since he went off in 2010.

Mike does deserve some blame. The problem is he gets to much of it. The whole team was bad, and it didn't get better after he got hurt. If I'm not mistaken they won more with him than without. I said it last year and I'll say it this year. The Eagles are just a bad team. When a team is that bad, it's pointless trying to place blame because most band plays are the result of a series of screwups no the fault of just one person.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People complain about non-guaranteed contracts until they want to get rid of a player. Philly fans would be complaining if they wanted to bring in talent, but had to keep paying Vick the money for that $100 million contract. Redskins fans not glad you dropped Haynesworth and freed up that cap space?

There's a hard salary cap. Having to keep payin players that aren't livin up to contracts would handicap your team. The players know when they sign the contract to go for the guaranteed money.
  • major pain
    Options
    I bet some of you are all for a player "outplaying" his contract too?
  • aneed123
    Options
    ? that....if u sign me to a 100 mil deal then give me my mula.... if not then the ticker in espn should say so and so signed for "100 mil" but he will only get 15 and cut in 2 years. my kids gonna play baseball and basketball where ? business decisions arent let off the hook and u owe me what I signed for
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    ? that....if u sign me to a 100 mil deal then give me my mula.... if not then the ticker in espn should say so and so signed for "100 mil" but he will only get 15 and cut in 2 years. my kids gonna play baseball and basketball where ? business decisions arent let off the hook and u owe me what I signed for

That's why there's a guaranteed part of the contract. When you sign that's really what you're signing for, and everything else is bonus. Players know this, the team knows this, and the agents know this. Just fans get caught up in the idea that the players didn't get they money they were expecting.