Kareem vs. Mike......seriously.

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
I have YET to hear a comprehensive argument for why Mike is better than Kareem. And I've been saying Kareem>Mike for the better part of 10 years.

Someone please tell me - in the best terms - as to why Mike should be THE GOAT over Alcindor A.K.A. Abdul-Jabbar.

Stop running. Face this ? .

Comments

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan should thank nike. Some people just forget about kareem.
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Impact, popularity, charisma, athleticism, clutch gene, didnt look like a diet milk dud with check cashing windows on for goggles(ie marketability), played the game the way no one else before him, and most importantly he didnt alienate himself from crackaz like KAJ
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kareem is the best player ever . smh at dissing dude for wearing protective eye wear. He was playing into his 40s when that was unheard of. Dominated at the College and Pro level with a Combined 9 titles(3 national/6 nba championships), All-Time Leading Scorer, 6 time NBA MVP (most by any player)

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's all opinion, Jordan the GOAT in my eyes because i actually saw him play and dominate the league. Kareem's career was over when i was 3 so i never saw him play. The league made rules like illegal offense because Jordan was that much better and teams couldn't stop him.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    It's all opinion, Jordan the GOAT in my eyes because i actually saw him play and dominate the league. Kareem's career was over when i was 3 so i never saw him play. The league made rules like illegal offense because Jordan was that much better and teams couldn't stop him.

• DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they have always been 1 and 2 in my book...with kareem being 1
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Should've been a poll.....
    But Mike is better
    And i would take a prime Hakeem,Tim Duncan & Shaq>>>>>>>> KAJ
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't even put KAJ over Hakeem
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going with Kareem.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Co-signs this thread. Nba careers its a coin flip but throw in the college careers also and The Big Fella is tops.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Admittedly I didn't see much of Kareem's play either, MJ just seemed to be able to do more than Kareem. And a lot of Kareem's stats are bloated because of the length of time he played. That's not to say he wasn't great, just that it's easier to be the all time scorer when you played 5 - 10 years longer than any of the other people in contention for that title.
  • DaBull
    Options
    Admittedly I didn't see much of Kareem's play either, MJ just seemed to be able to do more than Kareem. And a lot of Kareem's stats are bloated because of the length of time he played. That's not to say he wasn't great, just that it's easier to be the all time scorer when you played 5 - 10 years longer than any of the other people in contention for that title.

that makes him look better IMO, look how terrible big men have looked in year 14 and 15 (Pat Ewing, Shaq) while Kareem played 19 years. Shaq was putting up official washed numbers while kareem still could give you 18 and 9 at 37 or 38 years old. He was a beast
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really T/S??? Nobody's touching Jordan & I'd rate Bill Russell & Wilt higher than Kareem!!!
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »
    Really T/S??? Nobody's touching Jordan & I'd rate Bill Russell & Wilt higher than Kareem!!!

Really, ? . Look at the responses. I'm not the only one who'se felt this way.
  • afromo
    afromo Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All about opinion you could start a team with either kareem, magic, mike, or bird and go on and win multiple titles. its the beauty of basketball. I'll take mike only because of his insane competitiveness and elevation of his play in the playoffs were uncanny. The guy literally turned on a switch and went up levels in the finals. You cant go wrong with any. I love kobe but I find it funny how the kobe stans on this board are quick to say Kareem is better than mike but what pushes kobe over kareem as the GOAT as some of you have said?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    10 time scoring champ.

Career average of 30 (tied for first all-time)

6 time champ
    6 time finals MVP

That's why MJ is the GOAT
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    afromo wrote: »
    All about opinion you could start a team with either kareem, magic, mike, or bird and go on and win multiple titles. its the beauty of basketball. I'll take mike only because of his insane competitiveness and elevation of his play in the playoffs were uncanny. The guy literally turned on a switch and went up levels in the finals. You cant go wrong with any. I love kobe but I find it funny how the kobe stans on this board are quick to say Kareem is better than mike but what pushes kobe over kareem as the GOAT as some of you have said?

The bold and the fact I saw him play. Way too young to have seen Kareem play.

The part about Kobe makes no sense at all. Just leave that alone lol
  • afromo
    Options
    lol I meant Kobe fans say hes the GOAT and also say Kareem is better than MJ, so what makes kobe better than kareem
  • DaBull
    Options
    look at espn, when Bill Russell birthday came, there was no special dedicated to his most important moments
    same with kareem

meanwhile MJ turning 50 and espn about to have 23,456 specials on this ? like we dont know everything he did already

MJ has had the most exposure by a huge margin which is why everyone has a false view of him being far and above a better player than every other great

lol I meant Kobe fans say hes the GOAT and also say Kareem is better than MJ, so what makes kobe better than kareem

bruh, this thread is about Kareem and MJ, take the other stuff somewhere else
  • woah316
    woah316 Members Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    -Kareem also played with the greatest point guard of all time, BY FAR.... Many consider Magic better than kareem.. So how could he be better than Mike if he wasn't even the best on his own team?

-Magic >>> Scottie pippen... (and lakers supporting casts >>> bulls supporting casts)

-Jordan never lost in a finals series

Wait why am I even entertaining this, I've been dupped
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remembers when ? was rushin' to get the new Kareem's way before the air jordans.

Remembers when an old ass kareem was still the go to guy in the finsls vs pistons.

Remembers when kareem was beastin' on my sixers before hr hurt his ankle and magic finished off the series for L.A.

I always felt the media felt kareem was aloof and distant bcuz of his muslim conversion. IMO they didnt give him his deserved credit.

Its kinda hard to compare the twos numbers becuz one had control over the ball and the other had to wait until he got the ball or go get it himself.
  • afromo
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    look at espn, when Bill Russell birthday came, there was no special dedicated to his most important moments
    same with kareem

meanwhile MJ turning 50 and espn about to have 23,456 specials on this ? like we dont know everything he did already

MJ has had the most exposure by a huge margin which is why everyone has a false view of him being far and above a better player than every other great

bruh, this thread is about Kareem and MJ, take the other stuff somewhere else

why u duckin though kobe is the GOAT aint he?
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    One reason Kareem a little lower than MJ is because the ? Kareem wouldn't be able to make a sky hook from 3 point range when you're down by 3 with 3 seconds left but we trust Jordan in that situation. And before I get called a hater I'm actually a Kareem fan sayin this.

Now mods, lock up this shock thread please
  • afromo
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    One reason Kareem a little lower than MJ is because the ? Kareem wouldn't be able to make a sky hook from 3 pint range when you're down by 3 with 3 seconds left but we trust Jordan in that situation. and before I get called a hater I actually a Kareem fan sayin this.

So ur saying no big man can be the GOAT?
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    One reason Kareem a little lower than MJ is because the ? Kareem wouldn't be able to make a sky hook from 3 pint range when you're down by 3 with 3 seconds left but we trust Jordan in that situation. and before I get called a hater I actually a Kareem fan sayin this.

So ur saying no big man can be the GOAT?

not saying that. These days centers can shoot from outside but if you needed a 3 to win the game you had to go to magic or coop or Byron Scott. How can you be the Goat if you wasn't even getting the ball at the end of the game?

Centers can be called the goat at their position or the goat of their era but until people show me a guy who's skillset allows then to dominate the game from anywhere on the floor for as long a period of time as Jordan did in the golden age of big men and when you was allowed to handcheck flagerent foul without getting calls, it's not that easy to say so and so is better than Jordan based on how MJ locked the league down for so long.
This discussion has been closed.