Anybody watching the Dunk contest replays on NBATV?

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
I know some people will disagree, but J Richardson might be the best Dunk Contest competitor ever.

First dude, basically came and singlehandedly revitalized the competition. He was one dunk away from winning three.

Plus these dunks were just nasty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve9o8gyUYLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PejeH1uzDJs

Comments

• WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Watch the First Two Earlier. Have they been showing them all?
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J Rich>>>Dominique
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iguodala got robbed

This.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah an its funny they dont mention J-Rich as one of the best to do it.. and c/s Iguodala got robbed
  • your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    McGee was robbed too. Blake jump over the hood not the roof, his was wack
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Cosign Iguodala getting robbed.

I'll go ahead and say Dominique got robbed against MJ too. For one, the competition was in CHI so I believe that played into it. But more importantly MJ did the free throw line dunk twice in the same competition. Now, I think the time he did it to win the Finals of that contest was the best example of it ever being done. Still, how can you get a perfect 50 score for a dunk you just did 10 mins ago?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still watch the 2010 contest for laughs..
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    yeah Jrich was beast jr smith put some ? down too, and with the exception of a few years the dunk contest wasnt really as bad as people like to make it...and ? i didnt know Rex chapman had a 39 vert

the dunk wheel was the woat the nba constantly changing format/rules did no favors
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited February 2013
    Options
    yeah Jrich was beast jr smith put some ? down too, and with the exception of a few years the dunk contest wasnt really as bad as people like to make it...and ? i didnt know Rex chapman had a 39 vert

the dunk wheel was the woat the nba constantly changing format/rules did no favors

Yeah I agree with the bold. The problem was it was so bad those years people were seriously saying it needed to be stopped altogether.

It's crazy to see how dunks evolved though. Dominque and MJ were great and all, but their dunks weren't anything compared to what we saw in later years. That said, their dunks were beautiful in their simplicity.
  • Davis eyebrow
    Davis eyebrow Members Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vince Carter>>>>>>
  • playmaker88
    Options

Yeah I agree with the bold. The problem was it was so bad those years people were seriously saying it needed to be stopped altogether.

It's crazy to see how dunks evolved though. Dominque and MJ were great and all, but their dunks weren't anything compared to what we saw in later years. That said, their dunks were beautiful in their simplicity.

idk bout that Jordan was straight up art via slowmo and niquehad hulkish pwer yet he still had a natural flair

oh and the 2000 dunk contest was a gem everyone did work but you couldn't follow vince

and it annoyed me to hear Magic Johnson say...."THE DUNK CONTEST IS BACK!" every damn year
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited February 2013
    Options

idk bout that Jordan was straight up art via slowmo and niquehad hulkish pwer yet he still had a natural flair

oh and the 2000 dunk contest was a gem everyone did work but you couldn't follow vince

and it annoyed me to hear Magic Johnson say...."THE DUNK CONTEST IS BACK!" every damn year

Don't get me wrong MJ and Nique were nice with it and the way you describe them is perfect. Still, as much as I love "Rock the Cradle" and "Windmill," they kinda pale in comparison to a alley-opp between the legs or a catch of the back of the backboard dunk.

Cosign the Magic Johnson comment though, but in his defense people say it's dead every year too so someone has to come with the opposite.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iguodala got robbed
    Nate Robinson beating Iggy made me sick
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Sir Lurkalot Members Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J. Rich was goat
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Iguodala got robbed
    Nate Robinson beating Iggy made me sick

Especially given that he took 300 attempts to make his final dunk.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    i cringed at that ? i was embarrassed ..robbed eh..
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blake should've never won that jumping over the HOOD of a car dunk contest.