Spec Wise... PS4 is a MONSTER

Options
KINGOFDAARCADE
KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in IllGaming
GDDR5 8GB RAM

Xbox 720 is rumored to be DDR3 8GB Ram which is inferior in every way possible.

There is NO WAY Xbox can top what Sony has right now, and its too late for them to change their specs unless they delay their next system.

To put things in perspective.... PS3 only has 1/16th that amount of RAM. Techies didn't even think this would be possible.
PS1 > PS2 was a 10x increase
PS2 > PS3 was a 14x increase
PS3 > PS4 is a 16x increase

PS1 (3.5MB RAM total)
2MB Main RAM
1MB VRAM
0.5MB Audio RAM

PS2 (36MB total)
32MB Main RAM
4MB VRAM

PS3 (512MB total)
256MB Main RAM
256MB VRAM

PS4 (8192MB total)
8GB Unified RAM

Comments

• qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that ? looks mean, i hate being a grown up and having to be responsible instead of just dropping what ever to get this ? when it comes out
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    Paraphrasing here, but....
    Epic Games CEO Mark Rein said: "We sent a letter to console makers about the specs we want on next-gen systems. Sony answered our love letter"
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    GameInformer is raving about this......

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/20/game-informer-editors-react-to-playstation-4-news.aspx

It may not generate the headlines, but the biggest news for me was the 8GB of unified DDR5 RAM, which is a huge leap forward from what developers had to work with on the PlayStation 3. This should give creators a fertile technological playground on which they can make impressive gains in not only graphical fidelity, but artificial intelligence as well
    8GB of GDDR5 system memory – Eight gigs of ultra-fast internal RAM is much better than the 512MB that developers had to work with on the PS3. This is a huge win for creators. Along with the easy-to-use architecture, this should make PS4 much more developer-friendly than its notoriously difficult predecessor.

The silicon is pretty ? close to what the rumors had it pegged as, with the crucial exception of a full 8GB of super-high-speed shared GDDR5 RAM. That's absolutely huge, and should make it both easy to develop for (a massive improvement over the developer-unfriendly PS3 hardware)

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think ? understand KOA... PC doesn't even have 8GB GDDR5...

It'll cost a fortune tho.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    PS4 is some serious next-gen ? .... ? don't even know.

• ocelot
    Options
    Basically games that we seen today was not running on PS4 hardware... It like the Killzone 2 E3 trailer that we thought was PS3 specs but backwards... The Last of Us 2 will make Watch Dog look like last gen.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    people didn't even think this was possible.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ocelot
    Options
    Bruh I didn't think this was possible(Just saw on Twitter Sonys first party were shocked)... With 8gb there is NO excuses for Kojima to make the ultimate Metal Gear...
  • scoop1215
    scoop1215 Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Bruh I didn't think this was possible(Just saw on Twitter Sonys first party were shocked)... With 8gb there is NO excuses for Kojima to make the ultimate Metal Gear...

phantom pain has to be ps4
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are they going to turn a profit ?
  • ocelot
    Options

Androids Tablets and IPhones gaming... I honestly don't know... 8gb GDDR is crazy. 4 gb would've been enough honestly. Get your $599.99 ready folks.
    scoop1215 wrote: »
    ocelot wrote: »

phantom pain has to be ps4

I'm guessing phantom and ground zero is this gen... MGS5 is next gen
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options

PlayStation Plus (Premium Subscription needed to stream PS4 to mobile devices)

Games

Hardware Accessories (Controllers apparently have high mark up)

Basically they take a hit on the hardware now, planning that it will pay off in 2-3 years.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Games

Basically they take a hit on the hardware now, planning that it will pay off in 2-3 years.

Man I don't think Playstation fans gon feel the whole subscription thing and then high ass controller costs , I don't think the market is really feeling that 529.99 is too much for a console , these ninjas don't learn .
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    xbox is lookin like the fat boy in a foot race against usain bolt. better catch up quick.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options

Games

Man I don't think Playstation fans gon feel the whole subscription thing and then high ass controller costs , I don't think the market is really feeling that 529.99 is too much for a console , these ninjas don't learn .

$529 will be the premium SKU.

There will be a cheaper sku. Probably $399.

• peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i want to see how they pull this off without the overheating...wasnt that a problem when the ps3 first dropped?
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    PS3 wasn't the one with the red ring of death problem.... that was 360.

those crazy little ? are great engineers. They will make it work somehow.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are they trying to compete with the PC gaming market?
    8gb ram & 8 core processor? What does sony have up their sleeve?
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    enough RAM for 4K gaming.

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its about as powerful as 12 gb ddm3 depending on if its 1600 dual channel or better, lots of things to take into consideration with ram, dont look at the number or gbs. PC's are running 16-32 now.

But it is powerful and ill get it after all the problems are discovered...too bad i gotta retire the ps3 now
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks a jump like this should have been expected? The standard for Smartphones now is 4 cores and 2 GB of RAM. I'd expect the next generation gaming system to far outclass that which this does.
  • ocelot
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks a jump like this should have been expected? The standard for Smartphones now is 4 cores and 2 GB of RAM. I'd expect the next generation gaming system to far outclass that which this does.

Nah son... If it was 8gb DDR3 then yeah we can expect that...but GDDR5 is faster RAM... ? that say gameplay>graphics here you go.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    peagle05 wrote: »
    i want to see how they pull this off without the overheating...wasnt that a problem when the ps3 first dropped?

Yeah that yellow light bruh