Sony Exec: PS4/Vita Remote Play Will Work Day One

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will a previous promise be delivered on with PlayStation 4?

When it comes to PlayStation devices, the idea of Remote Play – of streaming from your PlayStation console to your PlayStation handheld – has been long-rumored (and even promised). And while a very limited amount of games have fulfilled the ideal behind Remote Play, it’s been a largely untapped notion that never quite came to fruition.

But with Sony’s acquisition of Gaikai, ubiquitous Remote Play might be right around the corner. I asked the president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida, about this very question. I noted that we saw him play Killzone 3 on a Vita a year ago and that we’ve heard a great deal about Remote Play with very little to show for it. And his response was, in essence, that this time is difference.

When it comes to Gaikai and how it interacts with PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita, Yoshida noted that “the Remote Play side will work. So we’re saying virtually every PS4 game will be playable with PS Vita via Remote Play, so you connect your Vita to your PS4, especially at home, it’s a great experience.”

I pressed Yoshida about day-one functionality; will PS4 and Vita support Remote Play the first day PlayStation 4 hits the market? “I will be heartbroken if it doesn’t [work] day one,” he answered. “So day one, my expectation… we have to have all [PS4] games work on PS Vita, unless it’s a camera-only game.”

Yoshida stated that Gaikai is currently working with SCEI in particular “to make sure that the latency [problem common with an endeavor like this] is minimum.”

After so much talk of Remote Play and, sadly, so little to show for it, it looks like this time may just be different.

Comments

• KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whoa....

#GameChanger.

I might have to get another VITA now.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol If I can get a vita for real cheap Ill get, I still got my ps all stars digital copy code I aint used it
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might cop me another vita...that silver one.....since these no local storage....I can just sell my old and grab another
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    If I can play PS4 on my VITA while at work..... WOW. #GameChanger
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    HUGE NEWS

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/21/interview-shu.aspx
    Q: You showed us how you could use the Vita as a second screen in your living room. Is that local only, or is there any ambition with Gaikai to use that as a server and get further away in the living room?

A: Technically speaking, it works from anywhere, as far as you have a wi-fi connection from your Vita to the PlayStation 4. It needs to be wi-fi. However, for some games, when you play or connect from far away, it accumulates latency. Some games may not be playable, like fighting games or shooting games. But some other slower paced games will be playable. As long as you have home routers anywhere in your home, you can play every PlayStation 4 game. We ask developers when they finish the PlayStation 4 product and submit a master to make sure that they have the appropriate controller mapping to work on PS Vita. All games will work – unless it is a dance game [laughs].
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pretty wack if you can only use it in your home.

Be cool if you can use the vita as a second screen and controller for a multiplayer game.