Grambling State completes infamous winless regular season 0-27

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By Matt Norlander | Senior Blogger

Two years removed from playing in the SWAC title game with an NCAA tournament berth on the line, Grambling State has completed what might be the worst regular season in modern college basketball history.

The Tigers, whose tribulations we've documented on the blog this year, lost 74-62 to Alabama State on Saturday, sealing their winless record, finishing 0-27 and never losing a game in single digits. Under first-year coach Joseph Price, Grambling State will wind up last in every mainstream ranking system: RPI, KenPom, BPI, Sagarin. No. 347. That is their number, the lowest number in college basketball, lower than zero.

It's infamous and depressing -- and not over.

Grambling State can still make the NCAA tournament because Grambling State is still eligible for the SWAC tournament, meaning there is the most desperate and faintest of chances that the ultimate folly can come to be: a four-win team playing in the Big Dance. But that's not going to happen. Grambling State will almost definitely lose its next game, its final game, and finish 0-28.

In reality, this is something I'm not trumpeting, but regrettably pointing out. It's not every season that college basketball has a team fail to win a single game. In fact, Grambling State is the first team that wasn't a D-I transitional/independent program to go winless in a season in two decades.

This is also a snapshot into the low end of college basketball, the taboo matter of fact that we've got too many teams. The game is competitive at the top, but 347 is too large a number -- and it will grow larger still, as a program here or there sneaks its way in to D-I eligibility.

Nevertheless, this Grambling State story, in time, will build to a better one. Eventually, Grambling State will win the SWAC. It may take five, 10, 15 years, but they'll come back, the whole way. When they do, we'll look back to now and see the lowest of the low.

The program has been through four coaches in the past five years. Hopefully, Price is the guy to stay on, have patience, and build the program. No one should be this bad. No players should have to go through what GSU's guys have done. No one wants to be remembered for something they couldn't do, let alone not do it 27 times.

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's sad is I remember trying to walk on to Grambling's b ball team when I was undergrad there from 2003-2007 before I graduated.

The coach kinda gave me the run around and never offered any walk on try outs.

I went to a few games and remember without a doubt being better than every player on that squad except for maybe 3 players.

I could have been in the top 5 players on the squad as walk on.

The coach was fired a few years later.

It's a shame to see my alma master's basketball team be the laughing stock of the country though hopefully they get things moving in the right direction.

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It sounds like the coach now is giving them scholarships
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's sad is I remember trying to walk on to Grambling's b ball team when I was undergrad there from 2003-2007 before I graduated.

I went to a few games and remember without a doubt being better than every player on that squad except for maybe 3 players.

I could have been in the top 5 players on the squad as walk on.

The coach was fired a few years later.

It's a shame to see my alma master's basketball team be the laughing stock of the country though hopefully they get things moving in the right direction.

Damn ? cant get tryouts and walk on status at Grambling now?

Even UNC has tryouts for preferred walk-ons...
  • Crude_
    Options
    @SocialAssassinRati man I felt like the whole thing was political I figured he had some other guys he had hen pecked and handpicked for some spots so I just moved on and focused on my field of study.

I still wonder what could have been though.

I wasn't good enough nor did I have the size to get into a major college on a hoops scholarship but I know I was good enough to play for GSU during those years.

It should be also noted that it was a different coach at Grambling during the time I was there.

While I was there not many cared about the hoops program everything revolved around the football program Coach Robinson's legacy and the Grambling State Marching Band.

Those were some of the best years of my life but I think I missed a golden opportunity there with the hoops thing.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Such is life my friends.
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To be sucessful at a school like GSU u gotta recruit overseas and find diamonds in the rough or players that may not be great but can fit your system.. It's hard to win at schools like that but not impossible.
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they need some whites on that team
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they need some white people's money on that team
    Fixed. You ever wonder why HBCUs can't compete with the elite PWIs? That's your answer. Schools like Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc can do so much more than a Grambling, Southern, Delaware State, or even a Hampton because they have so mnay ways to generate revenue, resulting in better recruits, better medical and training facilities, and more air time in national spotlights other than the obligitory game shown on ESPNU.
  • Crude_
    Options
    What's even more messed up is Louisiana Tech is less than 5 miles right up the road and their team is ranked nationally right now in D-1.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's terrible....Got me wanting to turn on an old college basketball game and get their weight up on Dynasty Mode and ? ..
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    lol I still got 3 years of eligibility left I should try out
  • TooGood
    TooGood Members Posts: 31
    Options
    It aint all over for Grambling tho, this could be the wake up call everybody(fans, administration, alumni) need to get serious and make some changes.
    Remember Savannah State had a winless season some years back and they're program has recovered, they were regular season champs in the MEAC last year and are contenders for the conference tourney
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @SocialAssassinRati man I felt like the whole thing was political I figured he had some other guys he had hen pecked and handpicked for some spots so I just moved on and focused on my field of study.

I wasn't good enough nor did I have the size to get into a major college on a hoops scholarship but I know I was good enough to play for GSU during those years.

It should be also noted that it was a different coach at Grambling during the time I was there.

While I was there not many cared about the hoops program everything revolved around the football program Coach Robinson's legacy and the Grambling State Marching Band.

Those were some of the best years of my life but I think I missed a golden opportunity there with the hoops thing.

Damn grambling must've been the ish back then, bcs it's str8 ass cheeks now. Ain't no school pride over here. I always tell myself I can always transfer back to SU lol.
  • Crude_
    Options
    [quoteoteote ote="kAjUn;5548993"]
    @SocialAssassinRati I felt like the whole thing was politics I figured he had some other guys he had hen pecked and handpicked for some spots so I just moved on and focused on my field of study.

Damn grambling must've been the ish back then, bcs it's str8 ass cheeks now. Ain't no school pride over here. I always tell myself I can always transfer back to SU lol.[/quote]

The ? was jumping from like the mid 90s all the way up to the early 2000s.

It started falling off a bit right before I got there.

I remember Springfest (now called TigerFest) use to be more live than homecoming but about 10 years or so ago a boy got killed by another guy that was a drug dealer in the area and Grambling now puts less emphasis on it.

The ish use to run all week long now it just runs like Thursday through Saturday.

I can't speak for Grambling's school spirit now but when I was there it was straight still not as good as the 90s but still not bad.

SU is always going to have more going on.

There isn't ? going on in Ruston or Grambling except for a few hole in the wall night clubs.

I noticed SU got some bad broads too.
    Why did you transfer to Grambling @kAjUn
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    even though that's my rival its all love when it comes to a school like grambling. i got a cousin who went there in the 90s and her son just transferred there this semester. i know he gonna play football but i also think he may try basketball also.
    this shouldn't happen though. and i agree with the politics of the game being a factor. favoritism is and always will be around.
  • jaemooms
    jaemooms Members Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    Options
    They aint play no white teams. Dont tell me they was gettin did by the white teams too...smh
  • Rollin_Thunda
    Rollin_Thunda Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is really sad to hear but its been a terrible year for GSU athletics. As much as I hate to say it the football team was horrible and Doug was on some other ish ranting and raving about the fans, his issues with the administration, and his "playing favorites." Now this basketball season is just a sad sight.

I hope this is a huge wake up call to the teams, administration, alumni, and fans. I know Grambling gonna shake back but this been a tough year to watch.

@Louisiana Crude your story sound so similar to my cousin when he was trying to walk on round 05-06. The coach kept giving him the run around until he just left it alone and he could ball his ass off. I can't recall who the coach was but seems like all he recruited was dudes from chi-town, no diss to them, but he had some bonafide ballers on campus that he wouldn't even give a tryout to.
  • Crude_
    Options
    @Rollin_Thunda the same coach was there during that time as well his name was Larry Wright.

Some of those cats that hung out in the intramural center during that time could hoop as good as I could or better.

I don't know what his hang up was but after he gave me the run around I kinda lost interest.

I still hooped in pickup games but no organized ball.

It's hard to be successful when you're playing favorites.

Not long after I graduated I think Grambling hired a new Athletic Director and the new AD let Coach Wright go.

They bring up a lot of kids right there at their lab high school that are talented enough to play for the university but those players generally go elsewhere.

Paul Millsap who plays for the Jazz is one of those players that came out of Grambling Laboratory High School.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grambling ? up all around. Money wise too. The Administration should be ashamed of themselves.
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    [quoteoteote ote="kAjUn;5548993"]
    @SocialAssassinRati I felt like the whole thing was politics I figured he had some other guys he had hen pecked and handpicked for some spots so I just moved on and focused on my field of study.

Damn grambling must've been the ish back then, bcs it's str8 ass cheeks now. Ain't no school pride over here. I always tell myself I can always transfer back to SU lol.

The ? was jumping from like the mid 90s all the way up to the early 2000s.

It started falling off a bit right before I got there.

I remember Springfest (now called TigerFest) use to be more live than homecoming but about 10 years or so ago a boy got killed by another guy that was a drug dealer in the area and Grambling now puts less emphasis on it.

The ish use to run all week long now it just runs like Thursday through Saturday.
    I can't speak for Grambling's school spirit now but when I was there it was straight still not as good as the 90s but still not bad.

SU is always going to have more going on.

There isn't ? going on in Ruston or Grambling except for a few hole in the wall night clubs.

I noticed SU got some bad broads too.
    Why did you transfer to Grambling @kAjUn
    [/quote]

Yea one of the Cafe women was talking about the difference between now and back in it's golden era. They said part of the reason it's not as live because they eliminated open admission to help build the school cred up.

Tigerfest still be more live to me because it's more about the current students. Homecoming is more about alumni and just be filled with old heads bragging about "back in the day" ish. But damn I never knew that about a student getting killed.

Grambling cracking down on awhole lot of stuff and it's killing the school pride, they so strict on things it's ridiculous.

SU>>>Grambling broads, it's not even close. These broads are hurtin out chea. I tell dudes if you love yella bones go to SU, it's a ton of them. But them chicks are saditty as hell and rude so it's a double edge sword.

I left because I had got expelled from the dorms from SU, wasn't my fault but they was trying to save their own ass from a potential lawsuit. My roomate was a young drug dealer and him and his homies was serving. Homecoming week him and his ? was all getting ready to go party and I was packing up to leave to go back home because I worked on the weekends. Somebody snitched and the police came and searched our room looking for weed but they also found a unregistered 9mm Pistol. One of my roomie homeboys had dropped it in a empty drawer on my side of the room to keep from being seen. So they tried to put the charge on me for the gun.

My mom had called one of the Police men from our church to help the situation so I didn't have to go to jail. I stuck with my story the whole entire investigation, check the finger prints on the gun it's not mine, and I don't know them dudes besides my roomate. Eventually everything got sorted out and I was allowed to finish the semester but I couldn't come back to housing even THOUGH IT WASN'T MY FAULT smh lol. And I had to pay 250$.

After that I decided to transfer, plus my brother goes here too.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If all the top black recruits went to hbcu's it would be over.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my aunt played a small role in Grambling's White Tiger