The Gloves Come Off: Warner Bros. pegs Nolan, Goyer and Snyder to spearhead big screen DCU

Options
Broddie
Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Lights, Camera, Action!
From AICN:
Nolan. Snyder. Goyer. Bale. Cavill. And players to be named later.

Latino Review has done their due dilligence on their latest scoop: Warner Bros. is handing the DC Universe reins over to Christopher Nolan, Zack Snyder and David Goyer. The tentative plan is for Snyder to direct JUSTICE LEAGUE from a story devised by Nolan and Goyer. Snyder's deal isn't in place, but considering how ecstatic everyone at WB is about MAN OF STEEL (I've been told it's the movie of Summer 2013), the studio will make that deal.

Here's El Mayimbe's well-deserved victory lap laying out the key developments:

One thing from Mayimbe's video that can't be stressed enough: franchises are at a premium in Hollywood, and Disney has the top two at the moment (STAR WARS and the Marvel Universe). DC is an asset that has been bafflingly mismaged by the usually shrewd WB, and after the latest failed development of JUSTICE LEAGUE (with GANGSTER SQUAD screenwriter Will Beall), the studio has turned to Nolan. And when you get Nolan, you get Christian Bale as Batman. That's worth $1 billion at the worldwide box office. Minimum.

Henry Cavill's Clark Kent/Superman will obviously be a part of this JUSTICE LEAGUE. Beyond that, who knows? The smart money is on the characters WB has devleloped in the past: Wonder Woman, The Flash and Green Lantern. As for a villain? Man-Bat, obviously. Seriously, Darkseid was the focus of the previous script, but given Thanos's presumed involvement in THE AVENGERS 2, wouldn't that feel a bit copycat? That's definitely not Nolan's style.

In the past, when big stories like this have leaked prematurely, the studios have issued firmed denials. Lately, they've changed their approach. Now, silence seems to be the preferred response. However WB attacks this, I feel confident in backinig up El Mayimbe's story. This is what's going on with the DC Universe right now. One plus for the studio: I doubt fans are going to get up in arms over this. Conceptually, this is a home run. I just hope this doesn't ? up Nolan's INTERSTELLAR. He's the only filmmaker around who can give us a big-budget science-fiction film based on the work of Kip Thorne.

http://www.aintitcool.com./node/61264

Longtime IC posters know where I stand on Marvel Vs. DC so yeah this kinda excites me. For one it confirms that we finally get a good modern Superman movie which I've waited my entire life for. But then we also get JL's script and story handled by the meticulous Nolan with the guy who's career best work was DC superhero ensemble work (JSA) David Goyer.

If this goes down then IMO Marvel Studios is about to get spanked. Either way superhero movies are about to get alot better now thanks to the competition. Which is good because I have found them to be pretty stagnant the past few years since 2008 when IM and TDK helped the subgenre peak in quality.

Comments

• DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do Prometheus as a villian for the JL .........seriously, he's that good as an villian
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Dilla Deaf wrote: »
    Do Prometheus as a villian for the JL .........seriously, he's that good as an villian

They've already pegged Darkseid for that role. And wasn't Huntress about to murk that ? in the books?

EDIT: nvm just read the article up there and nah they corny with that copycat ? , but it is what it is. Brainiac, Suicide Squad, and Luthor in the cut leading up to Darkseid could be a good starting point...or just some random alien invasion to bring them together like the cartoon show. Also Bale as Batman is...confusing since he gave up the mantle in TDKR....? Then again this is just a rumor right?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya'll ? crazy. Starro the Conqueror should be the villain.

(lol)
  • Broddie
    edited March 2013
    Options
    You were probably joking but the "real" Starro used in R.E.B.E.L.S. before the New 52 relaunch could actually work.

rebel5+-+starro.jpg

rebels6cov.jpg

Dilla Deaf wrote: »

They've already pegged Darkseid for that role. And wasn't Huntress about to murk that ? in the books?

EDIT: nvm just read the article up there and nah they corny with that copycat ? , but it is what it is. Brainiac, Suicide Squad, and Luthor in the cut leading up to Darkseid could be a good starting point...or just some random alien invasion to bring them together like the cartoon show. Also Bale as Batman is...confusing since he gave up the mantle in TDKR....? Then again this is just a rumor right?

Darkseid was in a rejected script from the writer of Gangster Squad . Goyer, Nolan & Snyder would start completely from scratch.

It is a rumor but it's also a rumor from El Mayimbe who also posted this to remind people of how on point his WB studios source has been over the years
    Debunkers: Our track record with DC is impeccable. We broke Routh/Superman, Ledger/The Joker, the opening of The Dark Knight, etc., just to name a few. Remember, when we first broke that Goyer & Nolan were involved with Man Of Steel and Thomas Tull made a call over here to debunk us? So, um, how did that end up turning out? False? :)

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Amazo or Braniac and call it a day
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
    Rumors is rumors. I ain't trusting anything until it's confirmed
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? long overdue... The Justice League Characters are well known iconic more than Avengers hopefully they get it together
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    darkseid would be copycat. JL has on hell of an act to follow after the avengers.
  • Broddie
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The irony being that Thanos is the Darkseid ripoff. Though they're only superficially similar; in terms of execution the concepts are pretty much night and day so there is definitely room for both. However the JL has enough legit threats to hold down any movie before they go as epic as the ? of evil making the universe his ? & having it bend to his will through possession (anti-life equation).
  • Broddie
    Options
    Nolan said he was done with superhero movies , Warner brother must have paid him that make it thunderstorm money

O6lC5.gif

"millions of dollas, millions of dollas"

Well that and I'm sure the prospect of having WB unquestionably greenlight any dream project he feels like getting off the ground was also greatly appealing.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Darkseid out the gate would be to much ? need to lead up in to him
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nolan said he was done with superhero movies , Warner brother must have paid him that make it thunderstorm money

If he's smart he's getting his cut off the back end
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ? It Bring Out Anti-Monitor..COIE Version...Make It A Trilogy/b]
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Clinging to nolan for dear life huh...sounds like a bit of a reach but we'll have to wait and see
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darkseid out the gate would be to much ? need to lead up in to him

I Don't Think So...DC Gotta Heavier Weights Than That ? ....Imperiex, Anti-Monitor...They Need To Quit Playin And Bring Out The Big Guns N/H

• ShencotheMC
    Options
    One thing I will say is that if they do bring Bale back, they gotta give him a better suit and have him come through with more gadgets
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was just about to post this. Awesome freaking news. I wonder how they will Write in Nolan's Batman into the JL universe batman.

If thats the route the decide.
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Was just about to post this. Awesome freaking news. I wonder how they will Write in Nolan's Batman into the JL universe batman.

Also explain how NOFUCKINGBODY came through to help Gotham during ANY of the events that went on in those movies. Joker shutting the city down? Where was Superman? Bane crushed the buildings and took over Gotham? Where was Superman?
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Justice League>>>>>>>>>>>Avengers
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options

Also explain how NOFUCKINGBODY came through to help Gotham during ANY of the events that went on in those movies. Joker shutting the city down? Where was Superman? Bane crushed the buildings and took over Gotham? Where was Superman?

Because there was no Justice League. In the timeline, the JL movie will be the creation. You can even figure that Superman, Lantern, and whoever know about Batman and how good he is and would not interfere without his consent
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How would Nolan's vision fit into a JL movie? His version of Batman was very realistic and JL would have to be more animated. They still need to do WW, redo GL (GARBAGE), and do a Flash movie first.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    ? long overdue... The Justice League Characters are well known iconic more than Avengers hopefully they get it together

Not today, outside of Superman and Batman and maybe WW The Avengers are much more popular. Ironman, Hulk, Thor, including Spiderman and Cap America after the solo movie are bigger than ever. ? Ironman alone crushes DC outside of Batman. No one gives a famn about Superman anymore on the big screen and they ? up GL really bad when bringing him to the mainstream. If they put Wolverine in the Avengers 2, you know its a wrap.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

Superman does not ? into Nolan's Batman. Bane was nothing like bane from the comics as far as his abilities so it would be weird hypothetically speaking for Superman to just fly in. Marvel has done a better job of bringing the comic book to life with their franchises thus far since Ironman.
  • ShencotheMC
    edited March 2013
    Options

Because there was no Justice League. In the timeline, the JL movie will be the creation. You can even figure that Superman, Lantern, and whoever know about Batman and how good he is and would not interfere without his consent

So they let a nuke go off in Gotham and all them people get murked because they didn't have Batman's permission? Riiiigggghhhhttt
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How would Nolan's vision fit into a JL movie? His version of Batman was very realistic and JL would have to be more animated. They still need to do WW, redo GL (GARBAGE), and do a Flash movie first.

Its already been announced that They are doing the reverse of what marvel did. JL will be first and introduce everyone. Then the solo movies come out. They havent said if Man of Steel will tie into the JL movieverse or not yet.