THE BLADE RUNNERS (Ultimate Warrior & Sting)

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of the most Iconic tag teams of all times that they are talked about on Mythical levels who are on many people Top 50 Greatest tag teams of all times even though they never won a title and only wrestled together for One whole year, who went to become icons and the most popular wrestlers in the late 80's and early 90's who BECAME THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR & STING.......The tag team that was known as THE BLADE RUNNERS.......

beforebadass.jpg

Tag Team

Hellwig and Borden started a 2-person team in 1985 after PUSA disbanded, retaining the Flash/Justice monikers.

The Freedom Fighters

They later adopted the "Freedom Fighters" name while retaining the Flash/Justice names in Memphis' Continental Wrestling Association under manager Dutch Mantel. As the bodybuilders lacked thorough training, the team was raw and brutal, easily hurting opponents with their stiff maneuvers which led to their stay in Memphis being a short one.

Freedom Fighters Promo (Ultimate Warrior & Sting)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLiqL0TYFAc

^^^^^^WARRIOR was ? HUGE, at least 300 lbs of muscle

02.jpg

Bladerunners UWF Debut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS9nteYQv5Q

Mid-South
The team began working for Bill Watts' Mid-South Wrestling (renamed the "Universal Wrestling Federation" shortly after) in early 1986. In Mid-South, they became known as The Blade Runners (Hellwig was called "Blade Runner Rock" and Borden became "Blade Runner Sting"). The Blade Runners were managed by "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert and as part of "Hot Stuff International, Inc." the team feuded with Ted DiBiase and Steven James Williams.

The birth of the Blade Runners was the pivotal moment where Sting assumed his well-known name that persists today. Rock would later transition into various "warrior" motifs.

Bladerunners 6 Man Tag Match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI5SE9TFfOI

bladerunners.jpg

Split
Less than 6 months after arriving in Mid-South, Hellwig and Borden split up with Hellwig moving on to World Class Championship Wrestling, where he became known The Dingo Warrior, laying the foundation for his famous 'Ultimate Warrior gimmick in the WWF, and later in WCW. Ultimately he even changed his name to Warrior, and most recently wrestled under it in Barcelona, Spain.

Sting remained in Mid-South and under the tutelage of Eddie Gilbert for a while before turning face. He would later move on to WCW and then TNA.

Bladerunners vs Ted DiBiase and Dr Death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zss--hWnohA

Comments

• waterproof
    Options
    Reunion

stinger_display_image.jpg?1302980624

They reunited, although not officially under the Blade Runners name, for one match on WCW Monday Nitro on October 11, 1998 against Hollywood Hogan and Bret "The Hitman" Hart of nWo Hollywood. Since the two had become very popular on their own and in entirely different promotions, during this event, Mike Tenay referred to them as "teaming up for the first time since 1985." The match was initially boasted as one of the biggest tag team matches in Nitro history; however, it featured little variety or in-ring use of Warrior. Sting and Warrior won the match via disqualification due to interference from the nWo

Sting & Ultimate Warrior vs Hulk Hogan & Bret Hart
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uP4yY4ZlaY
  • waterproof
    Options
    0.jpg

Back in the day, there was this promotion called the UWF.

Cowboy Bill Watts ran an outfit that showcased great wrestlers like Eddie Gilbert, Rick Steiner, Ted DiBiase and a tag team known as the Blade Runners.

Sting and The Ultimate Warrior. They both came out in face paint and looked like muscled-up dudes who could just pummel their opponents.

They were "Road Warriors" Lite.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited March 2013
    Options
    They shoulda been a legit tag team for a few months after warrior jobbed to hogan, but the egos wouldnt allow it to happen.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, Warrior was brolic as ? .

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they should be dlc in wwe 13
    ill destroy ? with their mat skills and that body splash
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They were better apart than they were together. You ever see Hellwig when he was Dingo Warrior in WCCW? Awful....
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I'm sorry bro, but i cannot call this team great. Not enough time together and little to no legacy.
  • waterproof
    Options
    I'm sorry bro, but i cannot call this team great. Not enough time together and little to no legacy.

I'm sorry bro also, I didn't call them great, I said I seen them on greatest 50 tag teams list....but you cant deny the mythical like status they have in wrestling...I remember in the late 80's how PWI use to talk about the blade runners reuniting or wrestling each others for each other titles and they had a underground cult like following with tall tales like stories
  • apollo greed
    apollo greed Members Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I hated sting in NWO. Thats where WCW messed up. The whole Black and white, red and black ? ...but thats a different thread all together.
  • waterproof
    Options
    I hated sting in NWO. Thats where WCW messed up. The whole Black and white, red and black ? ...but thats a different thread all together.

Yo @apollogreed i dont care what nobody says, Prime Apollo Creed would of ? up Clubber Lang in Rocky III
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lang was too focused and too raw.
    Creed was good all around but Lang was faster and stronger
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree Clubber Lane was to raw he was more of a brute that just happened to be a boxer and not a true boxer.

Creed was a very clean and polished boxer.

Someone with great skill and game plans can beat a power house with no plans other than just throwing hay makers hoping for a knockout.

Back to topic...

I was a big time Sting mark when he was in WCW he and Ric Flair are the reason I watched WCW in the early years.

The Warrior was a product of great booking and having a great character that was marketable and different at the time he was popular in the WWE/F.

The Warrior had an impressive physique particularly for that day in age and the WWE marketed him as an unstoppable force.

Looking back the Warrior was subpar in the ring and wasn't great on the mic either although he did have great charisma.

Vincent put the Warrior in matches he squashed his opponents and no selled a lot of their moves as well making him seem even stronger than he was.

This all culminated to him facing Hogan at WrestleMania VI.

He was pitted to be the face of company after he beat Hogan for the title but then he started no showing shows and the whole steroids scandal hit further complicating matters.

Sting was the face of WCW the whole time WCW existed in my opinion although that NWO angle is what put WCW over the top as the face of professional wrestling.

Sting unlike Warrior could wrestle in his heyday.

He stayed a baby face until that while NWO angle.

Then they adopted that crow Sting gimmick.

I didn't care for his crow Sting gimmick as much nor did I care for his role in the NWO wolf pack.

I wish they would have kept Sting purely as a WCW guy.

I think his character was better as baby face and not that more edgy crow Sting guy that came from ceiling and appeared in the ring with a baseball bat ish.

The writers should have kept Sting, Goldberg, and DDP WCW guys feuding with NWO guys like Hogan, Hall, and Nash.

Occasionally guys from both sides should have put over mid card guys like Jericho, Dean Malenko, Guerrero, Kidman, and Benoit.

The NWO should have disbanded after Sting beat Hollywood Hogan at Starcade.

My conclusion is both Sting and the Ultimate Warrior benefited from the split and becoming singles competitors.

Had they stuck together they probably would have had success as a tag team but not near the level they had as singles wrestlers.

Good move for both.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it wasn't for Apollo Creed, that bish ass Rocky wouldn't know how to beat Clubber Lane
  • waterproof
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    If it wasn't for Apollo Creed, that bish ass Rocky wouldn't know how to beat Clubber Lane

that's what i am talking bout when Rocky faced Creed. Creed was on his down years and took Rocky 2 fights to beat Creed........Creed is a Scientific Boxer with skills, and he told Rocky look here man, like ? Said Lang will ? your ass in the ring, you have to box Lang, and slow footed, stiff Rocky got some soul in his ass (no greek) and learned how to box, use footwork and dance in the ring, counter punches, Creed done open the book for him....

Clubber Lang is a Beast no doubt and would ? up Ivan Drago but Prime Creed, Creed would put on a ass whopping clinic...
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its good this thread got derailed, warrior was overrated and deserves no props
  • waterproof
    edited March 2013
    Options
    its good this thread got derailed, warrior was overrated and deserves no props

come on man, I'm not a Warrior fan but the dude made a name for himself and work his way up to the main event and a title run and made brand and told vince to ? himself. called out Hogan out on his ways.........

I got a Warrior thread in the tuck coming soon
  • waterproof
    Options
  • waterproof
    Options
    R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior, you lived and breathed the Warrior Lifestyle
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched that tag match (warrior/sting v. hogan/hitman)
    And there were so many funnies

-- Warrior wearing a coat the whole time
    -- Bruce Buffer's unnecessarily elaborate introductions
    -- The bat signal with the Warrior logo
    -- Warrior being blown up just from coming to the ring
    -- mortal kombat "the series"
    -- mike tenay contradicting bruce buffer
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I always found it serendipitous how they both finally won the world titles of their respective promotions in the same year. It's like both their careers came full circle at the exact same time.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    I always found it serendipitous how they both finally won the world titles of their respective promotions in the same year. It's like both their careers came full circle at the exact same time.
    Pwi 1990 i think Sting was #1 and Warrior was #4. not sure tho
    @waterproof‌
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Closest comparison i can find was Samoa Joe n Cena. They used to feud over the UPW belt in cali, while breaking in the business together. WWE scouts including Jim Ross said Samoa Joe would never be a star in this business cuz of his look, After Joe tried out, but signed Cena.

By 2006 Cena was king of the WWE, while Joe was king of TNA.

Unfortunate how TNA let Joe fall off, meanwhile Cena still going strong eveb without a title reign.
  • waterproof
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Pwi 1990 i think Sting was #1 and Warrior was #4. not sure tho
    @waterproof‌

Sting was #1 and Warrior was #2, that was the year when the magazine's was hyping a cross promotion match of Warrior vs Sting
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Closest comparison i can find was Samoa Joe n Cena. They used to feud over the UPW belt in cali, while breaking in the business together. WWE scouts including Jim Ross said Samoa Joe would never be a star in this business cuz of his look, After Joe tried out, but signed Cena.

By 2006 Cena was king of the WWE, while Joe was king of TNA.

Unfortunate how TNA let Joe fall off, meanwhile Cena still going strong eveb without a title reign.

One of the biggest mistakes TNA ever made was dropping the ball with Joe back then. If they had booked ? logically back then the company would've been in a completely different position right now in terms of product quality.

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    It's Clubber LANG, YOU MORONS!