Are Poor Black Americans Screwed?

Options
UnderMiSensi
UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in The Social Lounge
http://www.theroot.com/views/are-poor-black-americans-screwed?page=0,1

The article is pretty long so here is some quotes that stuck out to me.

"According to the Integrated Public Use Microdata Series current population survey data, the percentage of blacks living far below the poverty line (50 percent or less) has essentially remained constant since 1968, at 15 percent, even though the overall black poverty rate fell from 40 percent in 1968 to 30 percent in 2012. At the other extreme, the percentage of blacks among the comfortably middle class (incomes at least five times the poverty level) quadrupled, rising from a negligible 3 percent in 1968 to 13 percent in 2012.

Yes, the black middle class has grown. Roughly 1 in 4 blacks in 1968 (27 percent) could be classified as middle class (income two to four times the poverty level). That figure in 2012 was up to almost half, or 47 percent. About half of this growth in the size of the middle class occurred between 1968 and 1978. The remainder is spread more evenly across the next three decades. Despite these changes, blacks today are more than twice as likely as whites to be in extreme poverty, at the low end, and half as likely as whites to be in the comfortable middle class at the high end (having reached the level of representation in this category in 2012 that whites had attained more than four decades earlier!)."

"What really worries the black middle class is that the poor and near-poor segment of the black population is a large fraction of the entire community, and their disadvantage seems more intractable than ever. This anxiety is only aggravated by the fact that even middle-class blacks have far greater difficulty passing along their class advantages or success to their children than comparable whites. And perhaps most of all, the angst behind the worry is a product of the failure of our leaders to put forward a compelling strategy, message or agenda on how we should deal with these challenges.

On these first two points, a major Pew Center report showed, for example, that nearly "two thirds of blacks (65 percent) were raised at the bottom of the family income ladder as compared with only 11 percent of whites. The same pattern exists for family wealth: 57 percent of blacks were raised at the bottom, but only 14 percent of whites were." Moreover, the same report showed much higher rates of downward mobility for middle-class blacks than for middle-class whites, and far lower rates of upward mobility for poor blacks as compared with poor whites."

I'd like to hear the IC's thoughts on this. I would comment on this article, but I'll just let Dr Claude Anderson speak on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLqRSqOH9LU

Comments

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, they are screwed cause more of us are having babies with non black folks and do anything to lighten up our overall gene pool.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They have been screwed for a while now.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Poor Americans in general are screwed.

RIP Middle Class

White Opinions are invalid here.

The Black impoverished are in a bad state. Many work jobs where theya re underemployed and still have to rely on govt subsidies. Most can't afford quality health care so going to the doctor or the dentist or any of that ? is out of the question.

Poor Black people have been abandoned by middle class and upper class black people so neighborhood stores are exclusively owned by foreigners who further drain the economy of Black neighborhoods. To paraphrase Dr. Paul Anderson when the Banks close business for the day the Black community is bankrupt.

In poor Black neighborhoods crime is more noticeable due to lack of available work. Schools are noticeably of poorer quality, and police are noticeably more present but only as a means to intimidate and harass Black people in general.

So we're not screwed but we are in a real ? up position that can only be solved if we change our philosophy about economics, diet, healthcare and education.

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    When have poor black americans NOT been screwed?
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img]https://sphotos-a.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/482770_552415738122161_576047749_n.png[/img]
  • Amotekun
    Options
    Amotekun you're white. Stop it.

tumblr_mbg2e5WNJe1qdsl1v.gif

• Amotekun
    edited March 2013
    Options
    So stop posting.

tumblr_inline_mg6se2AFq61rovdi9.gif

tumblr_max01lHliH1rqnm86.gif
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Poverty of the mnd is the worst of all.
  • kingofharts
    kingofharts Members Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Poor black Americans are screwed for sure. Especially considering how their poverty rates have stayed constant and upward mobility is so low...but that's been getting worse for all of americans.

But the most worrisome idea to me in that whole thing was downward mobility even in the middle class. And I guess it's sort of explained by the large percentage of black folks growing up in poverty, but it always breaks my heart when I see black folks who are solidly middle class adapting the attitudes and mannerisms of the poor folks. As if they're worthy of mimicking.
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh, poor black people don't stand a chance. Y'all ? thought Reaganomics was bad? Fact: At some point we will HAVE to tackle the debt, we just do. Democrats know it, and Republicans know it. The fight isn't over how to tackle the debt, it's when. And both parties know, be it sooner or later, poor people(disproportionately black) are about to experience a pain that's gonna make reaganomics look like a coungry club.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Poor black Americans are screwed for sure. Especially considering how their poverty rates have stayed constant and upward mobility is so low...but that's been getting worse for all of americans.

But the most worrisome idea to me in that whole thing was downward mobility even in the middle class. And I guess it's sort of explained by the large percentage of black folks growing up in poverty, but it always breaks my heart when I see black folks who are solidly middle class adapting the attitudes and mannerisms of the poor folks. As if they're worthy of mimicking.

Cause the poor folks behavior is sensationalized in the media as being "cool" Most whites look down on rednecks and ? on them all the time. Blacks embrace struggle as a badge of honor and something that makes them "real."
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    Oh, poor black people don't stand a chance. Y'all ? thought Reaganomics was bad? Fact: At some point we will HAVE to tackle the debt, we just do. Democrats know it, and Republicans know it. The fight isn't over how to tackle the debt, it's when. And both parties know, be it sooner or later, poor people(disproportionately black) are about to experience a pain that's gonna make reaganomics look like a country club.

Preach brotha, preach....the pain is gona come fast and furious for those who did not prepare for the future. Govt subsidies for housing are gona get cut soon along with homeless shelters and other aid for those who need it. I know people close to homelessness now and it's sad because I know they're not gona make it in a few months or years. People gota save every penny and make their dollars anyway they can, cuz the govt can only help so many people now.....
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.voxxi.com/americas-middle-class-endangered-species/

The American middle class is more financially stressed and anxious than at any time since World War II. Unlike the “Leave it to ? ” generation that enjoyed prosperity, growth and opportunity in the quarter-century after the war, today’s middle class suffers from a prevailing malaise, marked by declining wealth, rising debt, stagnant wages, and a mounting angst about their prospects.

“Middle class Americans look to the economic future—their own, their children’s, and the nation’s—with a mix of apprehension and muted optimism,” reported the Pew Research Center in an August 2012 study. They are increasingly preoccupied by wallet issues: a lack of job security, the challenges of paying for education and retirement, and even the formerly sacrosanct idea that the next generation would be better off.

“Only about one-in-ten [members of the middle class] say they are very optimistic about the country’s long-term economic future,” Pew reports.

Read more: http://www.voxxi.com/americas-middle-class-endangered-species/#ixzz2N5ZQYhnN
  • Fighting  Chaplain
    Fighting Chaplain Members Posts: 4
    Options
    Basically, there is no such thing as "poor Black Americans". Or even White Americans for that matter. That is a slave term invented by those labeled as " rich " who prey on others and can't get enough ! Look up the definition of " poor '. It means " someone who is needy ". If those people who call themselves "rich " 'DON'T NEED any one, then we other folks who are NOT in their league will see just HOW they survive. Slavery still exists in the United States---hiding as homeless shelters and labels of "poor" and " poverty ".