If You Were Vince Mcmahon...

Options
Idiopathic Joker
Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
How would you have played out the weeks leading up to the Montreal Screwjob? Bret Hart says he wanted to beat Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series and then give up the WWE Championship the following night on Raw. Obviously Vince didn't trust him and very much feared he would take the WWE Championship to WCW. Put yourself in Vince's shoes. Do you trust Bret Hart or do you, by any means necessary, keep the WWE title at home even if it means ? him over?

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would've trusted Bret.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bret the GOAT but you cant trust nobody leaving the company. Vince did the right thing, Bret should have willingly dropped the belt to Shawn who was the best in the company since Hart was leaving. Ken Shamrock wasn't even main event material so why would Vince agree to that
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I were Vince I would have had Bret drop the title before Survivor Series. A title switch to HBK or someone on RAW, problem solved.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited March 2013
    Options
    A DQ, and have him drop it a raw
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    I would've trusted Bret.

And that trust could have ended with Eric Bischoff throwing the WWF title in the trash just like they did the women's title
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would've trusted Bret.

And that trust could have ended with Eric Bischoff throwing the WWF title in the trash just like they did the women's title

While that's true, I don't think Bret would've done that.

Bret just wanted to win his last match at home, he said he would drop it on RAW when he gave his going away speech.

Vince was just too full of himself.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gotta trust bret, bret knows what vince has helped him do in wrestling, ion think he woulda screwed vince like that
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Vince was in the right not to trust Bret. Too many wrestlers were jumping ship without a moments notice. Rick Rude is a perfect example, even though it happened after Bret left WWE. Vince knew Bret was leaving and Vince knew there was bad blood with Bret and he did what he had to do to protect his company's integrity.
  • jono
    Options
    I would've trusted Bret.

I don't think Bret would have done that, especially because he and vince were separating on a pretty good note. But I don't think I would have let it come down to that exact evening before making a decision.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The other thing is people crucify Hulk Hogan for using his creative control but let Bret slide. The right thing for business was for Bret to pass the torch to Shawn, Bret ? for years cause Hogan wouldn't pass the torch to him

• dandctt
    dandctt Members Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Have DX, myself (Vince), etc. really bash Canada and Bret as in the weeks prior to really get the heat on us. I say I'm tired of Bret as champion the company needs a new champion with attitude, more exciting in the ring, hipper, cooler, American (HBK) whatever. So I want Bret out as champion and will do whatever it takes cause its better for business.

Have Bret win in Montreal against Shawn but have multiple run-ins during the match, ref bumps, myself interfering, all kinds of shenanigans that look like everyones trying to screw him over, but he triumphs to the fans' delight.

Bret comes out next night in Ottawa and at the end of Raw says hes leaving (not explicitly to WCW) because of the BS going on with the company (since the Attitude Era stuff bothered him anyway) the match the previous night and how he doesn't want to work for an owner of a company that would bash of him and his country and try so hard to cost him the title.

Let him speak from the heart, put himself over, look like a hero, and just leave the belt in the middle of the ring and walk out.

I'll come out on the ramp laughing as he walks out and he can just knock me out to send the crowd home on a high note.

Hold a tournament for the vacant title in the end, I (Vince) still talk about how I ran Bret out of the WWF and such, HBK wins the tournament at December IYH and drops it to Austin at WM as planned.

Bret gets what he wants (to look like a hero in Canada), heat is still on me and DX, so everything works.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have the original plan. For Bret to drop the belt the following month
  • jono
    Options
    The other thing is people crucify Hulk Hogan for using his creative control but let Bret slide. The right thing for business was for Bret to pass the torch to Shawn, Bret ? for years cause Hogan wouldn't pass the torch to him

True, that's because Bret pulled the deference card on HBK who is notorious for his own politicking. Bret is no politician compared to Hogan or Shawn. I agree he should have dropped the title too.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Vince acted like after the Match once Bret got backstage he couldnt take the belt, and hand the belt the next night to Bret before going out to forfeit it or whatever was suppose to happen