5 Forgotten 1st Party Games That Should Be Revived for the PS4

Options
themadlionsfan
themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
Jet Moto
One of many futuristic racing franchises produced for the PSone, the brilliant Jet Moto never quite got its just deserts. Despite spawning three entries in just under three years, the franchise failed to make the transition to the PlayStation 2. Two additional sequels – Jet Moto 2124 and Jet Moto: SOLAR – were in development behind the scenes, but never saw the light of day. Now, with almost 14 years between releases, we reckon it’s time that the hovercraft franchise made a comeback on PS4.
The combination of aquatic and land environments would prove the perfect companion for the next generation platform’s power, while the fast-paced ultramodern arcade action would offer an alternative to the seemingly disbanded WipEout series. What’s more, it’s been a tragically long time since we last got a water-based racing game on any platform, and while a Jet Moto reboot wouldn’t quite fill the same void as a new Wave Race or Hydro Thunder, we’d take it over nothing at all.

MediEvil
Developed by British outfit Studio Cambridge, the tongue-in-cheek MediEvil was one of the PSone's stronger action adventure games. The title’s crude sense of humour and surprisingly deep swordplay made it one of the platform’s more popular first-party releases, selling almost a million units and spawning a sequel in early 2000. The first game was later re-imagined for the PlayStation Portable, boasting heavily reworked stages and plot points. However, despite strong rumours hinting at MediEvil 3 for the PS3, the title never emerged.
Studio Cambridge has since merged with Guerrilla Games, where it’s working on Killzone: Mercenary for the PlayStation Vita – but we still think that there’s room for a new entry in the developer’s historical hack-and-slash series. With Jak & Daxter out of favour and Ratchet & Clank’s popularity dwindling, the PS4 is in need a good family friendly action game – and judging by the response to Sir Daniel Fortesque’s inclusion in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, a new MediEvil could fit the bill.

Pursuit Force
One of the early standouts on the PlayStation Portable, the brilliant Pursuit Force and its sequel put you behind the wheel of a number of different high-speed vehicles – boats, cars, etc – and challenged you to take out a series of crooks in high-octane, er, pursuits. While the series was as hard as nails, its chief mechanic – allowing you to hijack other cars by jumping on them – has still yet to be accurately imitated in any other title, making the series ripe for a comeback.
While developer BigBig Studios is no longer around to handle the development, we’re pretty confident that any competent racing studio could pick up the reins. Switching production to the PS4 would pave the way for more impressive set-pieces, allowing the series to finally realise the Michael Bay-esque action it clearly always coveted. Imagine bombing down gridlocked highways, hopping between cars, and shooting down overhead helicopters along the way. Yeah, sounds amazing, doesn’t it?

Syphon Filter
Arguably one of the more popular PSone franchises, Syphon Filter was very much the Uncharted of its day. Fusing stealth action with third-person gunplay, the series was fairly innovative for its time, prompting the production of a whopping seven titles in the span of just eight years. However, since the release of Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow in 2007, the brand has been on hiatus, with developer Sony Bend turning its attention to spin-offs Resistance: Retribution and Uncharted: Golden Abyss.
There have been rumours of a PS3 reboot, but none of them have come to fruition yet. With the PS4 on the horizon, though, we reckon that it’s a perfect time to bring back Gabe Logan (he’s so not dead) and crew. The new hardware would facilitate fresh gameplay ideas, such as advanced AI routines and cooler gadgets. Plus, we’re eager to get a glimpse of supporting character Lian Xing in dazzling HD.

The Getaway
The brainchild of Brendan McNamara – who later went on to create L.A. Noire – The Getaway was a love letter to British gangland films such as Snatch. The PlayStation 2 exclusive was one of the first titles to truly strive for a movie-like experience, boasting a fairly minimalistic HUD and some impressive animation routines. Despite this, its bland gunplay and unbalanced difficulty prompted criticism from some corners of the gaming press – an issue that was accentuated in its 2005 sequel.
Nevertheless, a third entry was planned for the PS3, but was cancelled in 2008 in order to allow developer Studio London to focus on more casual projects such as EyePet. However, with Sony seemingly targeting core gamers with the PS4, we reckon that The Getaway deserves another shot at seedy superiority. Its sordid London setting offers a distinctly different tone to the tongue-in-cheek silliness of Grand Theft Auto, and with the additional processing clout of next generation hardware, there’s no reason why the series couldn’t finally achieve its cinematic ambitions

I'd ? with a next gen Jet Moto

Comments

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I loved to see a new Syphon Filter but, I know they would just dumb it down and turn it into another generic 3rd person shooter with a cover mechanic.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm checking for a new The Getaway.

First one was hard as ? and annoying as ? that you had to watch long ass pre-mission cutscenes every time you died.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    MediEvil definitely needs to be brought back. You'd think with Sir Dan being included in Playstation All Stars that it could still happen.

Had good memories of Syphon Filter 2, though personally don't miss it enough to want it to come back.

The Getaway games always seemed like they had potential to be good during the previews but always ended up being a bit ? (IMO). Either hand it to a studio who could do well with it or don't bother.

If any Sony game deserves to be revived then I personally think it's Primal. It played great at the time, had great characters and was generally an underrated game.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Getaway was always one of my fav's
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jet Moto was my ? . Imagine that today with online? Want Dark Cloud 3, a new Syphon Filter, Colony Wars and Ape Escape too.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jet Moto
    One of many futuristic racing franchises produced for the PSone, the brilliant Jet Moto never quite got its just deserts. Despite spawning three entries in just under three years, the franchise failed to make the transition to the PlayStation 2. Two additional sequels – Jet Moto 2124 and Jet Moto: SOLAR – were in development behind the scenes, but never saw the light of day. Now, with almost 14 years between releases, we reckon it’s time that the hovercraft franchise made a comeback on PS4.
    The combination of aquatic and land environments would prove the perfect companion for the next generation platform’s power, while the fast-paced ultramodern arcade action would offer an alternative to the seemingly disbanded WipEout series. What’s more, it’s been a tragically long time since we last got a water-based racing game on any platform, and while a Jet Moto reboot wouldn’t quite fill the same void as a new Wave Race or Hydro Thunder, we’d take it over nothing at all.

MediEvil
    Developed by British outfit Studio Cambridge, the tongue-in-cheek MediEvil was one of the PSone's stronger action adventure games. The title’s crude sense of humour and surprisingly deep swordplay made it one of the platform’s more popular first-party releases, selling almost a million units and spawning a sequel in early 2000. The first game was later re-imagined for the PlayStation Portable, boasting heavily reworked stages and plot points. However, despite strong rumours hinting at MediEvil 3 for the PS3, the title never emerged.
    Studio Cambridge has since merged with Guerrilla Games, where it’s working on Killzone: Mercenary for the PlayStation Vita – but we still think that there’s room for a new entry in the developer’s historical hack-and-slash series. With Jak & Daxter out of favour and Ratchet & Clank’s popularity dwindling, the PS4 is in need a good family friendly action game – and judging by the response to Sir Daniel Fortesque’s inclusion in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, a new MediEvil could fit the bill.

Pursuit Force
    One of the early standouts on the PlayStation Portable, the brilliant Pursuit Force and its sequel put you behind the wheel of a number of different high-speed vehicles – boats, cars, etc – and challenged you to take out a series of crooks in high-octane, er, pursuits. While the series was as hard as nails, its chief mechanic – allowing you to hijack other cars by jumping on them – has still yet to be accurately imitated in any other title, making the series ripe for a comeback.
    While developer BigBig Studios is no longer around to handle the development, we’re pretty confident that any competent racing studio could pick up the reins. Switching production to the PS4 would pave the way for more impressive set-pieces, allowing the series to finally realise the Michael Bay-esque action it clearly always coveted. Imagine bombing down gridlocked highways, hopping between cars, and shooting down overhead helicopters along the way. Yeah, sounds amazing, doesn’t it?

Syphon Filter
    Arguably one of the more popular PSone franchises, Syphon Filter was very much the Uncharted of its day. Fusing stealth action with third-person gunplay, the series was fairly innovative for its time, prompting the production of a whopping seven titles in the span of just eight years. However, since the release of Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow in 2007, the brand has been on hiatus, with developer Sony Bend turning its attention to spin-offs Resistance: Retribution and Uncharted: Golden Abyss.
    There have been rumours of a PS3 reboot, but none of them have come to fruition yet. With the PS4 on the horizon, though, we reckon that it’s a perfect time to bring back Gabe Logan (he’s so not dead) and crew. The new hardware would facilitate fresh gameplay ideas, such as advanced AI routines and cooler gadgets. Plus, we’re eager to get a glimpse of supporting character Lian Xing in dazzling HD.

The Getaway
    The brainchild of Brendan McNamara – who later went on to create L.A. Noire – The Getaway was a love letter to British gangland films such as Snatch. The PlayStation 2 exclusive was one of the first titles to truly strive for a movie-like experience, boasting a fairly minimalistic HUD and some impressive animation routines. Despite this, its bland gunplay and unbalanced difficulty prompted criticism from some corners of the gaming press – an issue that was accentuated in its 2005 sequel.
    Nevertheless, a third entry was planned for the PS3, but was cancelled in 2008 in order to allow developer Studio London to focus on more casual projects such as EyePet. However, with Sony seemingly targeting core gamers with the PS4, we reckon that The Getaway deserves another shot at seedy superiority. Its sordid London setting offers a distinctly different tone to the tongue-in-cheek silliness of Grand Theft Auto, and with the additional processing clout of next generation hardware, there’s no reason why the series couldn’t finally achieve its cinematic ambitions

I'd ? with a next gen Jet Moto

jet moto? serious? aint nobody checking for jet moto.

Give me new IPs that take advantage of the next-gen hardware.... not a re-hash of a PS1 game.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jet Moto always seemed like a wack PS1 version of Waverace 64 to me. I probably wouldn't even remember it if it wasn't for the Twisted Metal 2 levels.

Syphon Filter hasn't been a first rate franchise since the 2nd one.

Getaway was just another overrated GTA3 clone.

"While the series was as hard as nails, its chief mechanic – allowing you to hijack other cars by jumping on them – has still yet to be accurately imitated in any other title" - Just Cause 2? Saints Row 3? foh. Nothing special about this one.

Medievil was a cool, charming 3D platformer for its time.
    Go ahead and bring Gex back

^^^ - THIS. And 2D please. People forget that Gex 1 was seriously better than every other 2D platformer ever made not titled "Sonic" or "Mario". If Crystal Dynamics weren't such lames, Gex COULD'VE been bigger than.....? , every other game character ever basically. Gex's Saturday Morning Cartoon woulda been GOAT status with Dana Gould.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alundra 3 and I will be happy
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hall trippin.....jet moto was the ? .....and that ? would look beautiful in next gen graphics.....could have sworn it dropped after wave race 64 which was garbage water runoffiorewwve
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jet Moto sucked and so did Syphon Filter after part 2. I'd rather they bring Ape Escape, Intelligent Qube and Wild Arms back.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jet moto 1 is a classic to me. The other two are forgettable.

I don't want them to bring back games because when they do it seems weird. Twisted Metal that came out last year jus didn't feel like twisted metal
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I want them to have a redo on Twisted Metal. All they'd have to do is use the same formula they used with Black. Now that game was tight.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to see another "Getaway" game too....my only gripe was how the vehicles handled and trying to escape from the cops or annoying ass mobsters clapping at you with AKs....other than that, the on foot missions were the GOAT. btw, I want a next gen Road Rash game, ? EA
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all ? dumb bring back gex??? I would throw any of the gex games in the trash instead of trading it in to any game store plus the series were for all consoles @ the time!!!
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Taser In Syphon Filter Was The Closest Thing I Ever Felt To Playing A ? In A Video Game (Sorry Kratos)...I Would Just Shock ? For The Entire Game....? Never Ran Outta Juice Either...Broken Ass ?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    even though it wasn't exclusive to PS they should rehash Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain. but I agree they need new IPs.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Yamoley wrote: »
    I want a next gen Road Rash game, ? EA

MAJOR co-sign, i am shocked they haven't done this

imagine the Burnout series w/ motorcycles and weapons....some kind of max payne bulletime button so you can take a chain upside a ? head in slow motion.....maybe some kind of destructive environmental hazard weapons ala Split-Second.....lawd have mercy
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    even though it wasn't exclusive to PS they should rehash Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain. but I agree they need new IPs.

those games were so different from one another but BOTH would be dope for remakes. Legacy of Kain has one of the GOAT video game plot twists and endings this side of Shadow of the Colossus.