Is the dream ending the biggest cop out in film/television

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
We have seen great stories with a crazy twist end up just being a dream, to me it's a cop out by the writers.

post some examples of these "dream" endings

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    the outsiders is the first thing that came to mind
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Had this not been a dream and the series ended with this episode would of been goat status for real
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=eWn1444AGXE
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ending of dallas
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The Biggest Cop Out In The History Of Film AND Television Is LOST....I Watched That ? Religiously And They ? Us (n/h) A Underaged Thai Prostitute...Like Really Yall Aint Gonna Answer No Damn Questions?!...I Was Heated For Weeks After That
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the whole "oh my gosh it was me the whole that was killing those people!" is the lamest great reveal of all.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. I think everybody hates the dream ending, its incredibly corny. It makes a mockery of the entire story, all the consequences become void and all the drama is lost.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    American Phycho was good.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Devils Advocate was dope.

No matter what move he made, the devil was coming for him.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, ? these "It was all a dream" ass writers, tryna sound like a Jay-Z song from Blueprint 2
  • CitySojourner
    CitySojourner Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A growing trend in independent movies is the abrupt non ending ending. That has to be the ultimate copout, the most egregious examples being meeks cutoff and Martha Marcy may Marlene, among plenty of other films. What's annoying is that critics tend to give these type of films the most amount of accolades.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn I bet all yall hated inception, lol
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably hated the Matrix too...
    the real world was the matrix
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    on some real ? . I was wit my ex, my girl at the time and she wanted to go see Twilight. it was the last one don't know what its called but anyway. these vampires and wolf ? was fighting against the head vampire ? . the head ? was getting ? up and turns out it all was a vision.
    I literally yelled out "this some ? !" loud as ? and this little girl was like you be quiet mister and I was like hell naw I want my money back.
    I felt so cheated. I was on my phone the whole time then this part came on and I was finally interested and turns out the ? didn't happen.

I remember that. ? fuckas was catching feelings that good vampires, whatever the ? that is, were dying while I was loving that ? . Good fight finally happen after all that ? ? imprinting ? but they made it all a vision. I walked out through a row of crying 14 year old cracka children.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    super Mario brothers 2 was a cop out like a ? . I go through all that and you mean 2 tell me that was a dream? Mario get yo' ass out of that bed you got some plumbing to do!