2013 Wii U Sales Look Dismal

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

US sales figures for Wii U show the console really struggling over January and February.

Wii U sales hit a low in January and February this year, according to the latest NPD data.

Nintendo's console sold just 57,000 units in January, managing to up that number to 64,000 in February. This is worse than any recorded week for the current-generation consoles (Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3). The Xbox was top of the hardware chart with 302,000.

Wii U sold 3 million by the end of December - a decent launch that outpaced most others in recent history - but sales have since fallen off a cliff as the console has suffered an almost total absence of new releases. Next week (the week after in Europe), Lego City Undercover will be the first significant game to be released for the console in four months.

Overall video game sales are down 25% on where they were last February in the U.S. as the retail market continues to shrink. As ever, though, it's worth pointing out that NPD does not count digital sales, DLC or in-game purchases.

Thanks, Gamasutra.

Comments

• whitecracker
    whitecracker Members Posts: 406
    Options
    I always knew I'd get sick of playing a Wii after a while that's why i got a PS3 instead.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I called it, I told yall in the shorter term this was gonna be a drag on them. It's unfortunate SMMFH. I think they tried too hard to introduce something too new too fast. They need to ditch the 3D technology, and pour their energy into the games, they don't have to do a price cut until the PS4 and new Xbox comes out and when that happens they're going to have to work around the clock to move as many Wii Us as possible in order to return to profit. The console itself is not bad at all but I think it suffers from lack of worthwhile titles. Nintendo will probably be a lukewarm performer this gen.....

But considering that the Wii U came out in November I think 3 million is modest and should be viewed as a "success" (but we'll know for sure next year when they report 2013's profits - or losses). Right now they can "coast" and have the luxury of time to work on newer things and putting the emphasis on games but they're lucky Microsoft & Sony didn't drop new consoles at the same time..... never doubt the importance of games at launch.

Might be wise to work on the next gen handheld now..... but it sucks that they already dropped PKMN black & white 2, they should've saved that just in case.....

new pokemon coming out this year. new generation. looks pretty good.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Sym_
    Sym_ Members Posts: 842
    Options
    This system never had a chance from the name of the console to the timing and the hardware it was simply the worst move by nintendo since that POS virtual boy.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's only been 4 months.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @sion

? we told you back in 08...

Only so long fake thugs can pretend.

But its still early tho so I'm not counting them out yet..

Now is the time for Nintendo to court the small Japanese developers... Sony and MS are focusing on Western developers so Ninty has a chance. Force them to make new games that can only be playable on Wii U and DS and go from there.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    @sion

Now is the time for Nintendo to court the small Japanese developers... Sony and MS are focusing on Western developers so Ninty has a chance. Force them to make new games that can only be playable on Wii U and DS and go from there.

yup. Also develop MAD new IPs that uses touch screen only that are great in quality. As well as a cheaper option against the PS4/ 720. Make the new Zelda have online MP, like an online version of "4 Swords."
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Japan does not care about it.It is actually selling better here while the Vita has better sales in Japam before the price cut.LOL@ developing new IPs on a subpar selling console with the PS4 already on the horizon ovrr shadowing it.This console failed because of the Wiis success which lost the core fanbase and lacker real support from the masses.I said this would happen.MP in Zelda? ROFL Nintendo is the worst at online.The touch screen is garbage and devs are not using it.It is an over priced paper weight.PS3 at $600 never sold this poorly or poorly at all lol.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    @sion

Nah small ? devs are loving the PS3 which has increased sales in Japan.Why bothet supporting the PiiU?
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The system has no decent exclusive games. The only reason it's selling decent in japan is because of Monster Hunter and they are planning to shut down the Monster Hunter Tri servers down next month so the fanbase is being forced to buy the new console to continue playing the series.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    @sion

yup. Also develop MAD new IPs that uses touch screen only that are great in quality. As well as a cheaper option against the PS4/ 720. Make the new Zelda have online MP, like an online version of "4 Swords."

MP?...on Zelda?....Please stop it. Not every game needs multiplayer.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they banked too much on the fickle casual fan base......this poses a BIG problem for their hardware in the future when you consider 3 of their last 4 consoles failed
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    they banked too much on the fickle casual fan base......this poses a BIG problem for their hardware in the future when you consider 3 of their last 4 consoles failed
    This is.why I laughed when people said they were back.Nintendo messed up years ago when they decided to stick with cartridges and loss third party support and never created new franchises and continued to milk Mario. They failed to embrace mature gaming and their hardware is always limited in some way.These fanboys are the only ones who continue to support them.People call them innovative but they have never adapted to the new generations.They are not retro they are just played out like Fila.Their franchises have not been great since the N64 and then they were overrated.Lets face it they are like the old barber at the shop that only still has his spot because he is an OG.

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @sion

Nah small ? devs are loving the PS3 which has increased sales in Japan.Why bothet supporting the PiiU?

That's only because Nintendo don't ? with no one but Nintendo... ? is sad really... There is no reason a Gravity Daze or the PSN title Rain isn't on Nintendo platforms... They should be owning the indy market right now...
    Leave the CODs or GTAs with with the other platforms and build a market with games you can't play anywhere else... Japanese developers will make a comeback sooner or later and Sony is prepared for it.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Sony made Gravity Daze but it isnot a casual game like Animal Crossing. No More Heroes flopped on the Wii as did every other none Nintendo ? game.SMH @ The Last Story.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dem sales are doo doo gritz
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo is gonna cake and be here forever.

Can't say the same for my company SOny.
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    They need games. Compelling azz software, and don't try to send the usual suspect IP's to save em...leave those alone for awhile and come up with something good...multiplayer Zelda?? Smfh
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    LOL Jay always come out to discuss Nintendo. Jay they never have and never will do what you said. You think they would have learned that Mario is not that powerful when he could not save the N64 and GC. Oddly enough it was the shovelware games like WiiFit and WiiPlay that sold the Wii.

@ohhla ..Sony is the only company to have all of their home consoles sell 50mill plus and the only company besides Nintendo to have a successful handheld (PSP sold over 70 mil and Vita will continue to see sales spikes) so Sony is just fine and the company saved Japan after the War ...Nintendo included.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dem sales are doo doo gritz

lol
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crazy how Nintendo is slacking now, but made crazy profit with the 3ds and previous consoles. Did PS3 make enough profit to get Sony out the red?
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its only been 4 months yo...