Will turned down the Django cuz his character would've been second fiddle to the bounty hunter

Options

Comments

• alvarez_313
    alvarez_313 Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seven Pounds had me all ? up lol... That and Pursuit of Happyness...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will makes movies that make him and his fam money. Kudos.

But his films are highly forgettable . .
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude turned down the Matrix & Django. Still top 10 worthy too.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I understood what Will is saying, but at the same time I didn't. Maybe it's just me..but it sounded like a pinch of "ego-tripping" thrown off in what he was saying. Jamie was the better candidate anyway.

@rapmastermind
    Pretty good post, kinda solidifies of what I thought too, but I still think he was ego-tripping a little bit.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Let's put it into perspective here . .

I used to be a massive fan of Will, the 'actor' in the 90s. Hugely anticipated any film of his

But as time passed, I lost interest. I became a huge buff of independent and foreign language cinema. I still go to see the occasional summer blockbuster now and then depending on word of mouth . .

Will is within his right to turn down Tarantino fair enough but what is the last Will Smith movie that had folk in discussion? Exactly

MIB3 went and disappeared. Of course it made money. Django is nearly half a billi worldwide 3 months on

Leo DiCaprio is as big a movie star as Will is, commands aboit the same salary and produces films yet he showed up half way through the film.

Schultz character murks Leo yes but he himself gets murked as well in that blood-bath. Jamie kills Leo's right-hand man and most trusted who is sadly a self-hating ? . . Jamie at the end rides off into the sunset with his missus

Jamie's character to my knowledge was a man of few words, his sole intent to rescue his wife. How the ? was he gonna do that as a Black man in that era without the help of the bounty hunter? No matter how demeaning?

And I don't care what nobody says here, that scene where Jamie is all dressed up and clean whipping that ? ass cracka on the floor has to be one of the most iconic scenes in cinematic history . .

Will apparently doesn't want to alienate his white fan base with a 'controversial' character

And Jamie Foxx as an actor >>> Will Smith

Who's the Oscar winner outta the two? Exactly

Damn...etherous, but I gave you a GOAT.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    A white bounty hunter is definitely not the only way that Tarantino could have written the story to make the plot fit... there could have been so many other ways.

1) Slave escapes, meets w/ others, plans and prepares revenge, kills slave owner + saves wife
    2) Civil war - slaves are enlisted.... Django shows unparalleled valor and earns his freedom + medals from the president himself. Then uses his military training and weaponry to seek revenge
    3) Django & other slaves plot to have the master killed. They execute their plan using makeshift weapons and the like and succeed in killing their oppressers. Then they go to save his wife.

There, i just wrote 3 alternative ways to advance the plot in a similar way without the use of a bounty hunter. That being said; I liked Schultz. Hilarious character.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    will got classics too he'll be aight

i, robot was a classic to me
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    They say there's no small roles, only small actors . .

They've been actors who got nominated for awards for showing up in cameos for as little as 15 minutes in films. True story

And being in a Tarantino movie >>> being in an M. Night movie

LOL
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? try a say jamie fox is a better actor than will smith? Really?

And lol at anything in django being iconic. A white man put a ? in a shiny suit and let him beat not even the main villain just some hick white dude and that's iconic? I enjoyed the movie but lol at this ? . U get a wack for calling that iconic but not taking issue that a black man didn't ? the main villain. Tarantino got some of u ? twisted lol. Making a movie about a slave where the title character plays second fiddle to a white dude. Nothing iconic about that ? . Will had his antennas up.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Again, cap wasn't even a villain in the movie.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    I'll say it again:

Jamie is a better screen actor (look it up) than Will is in 2013 . . Will is more or less an 'action movie star' who's bankable. Nothing wrong in that

You just need to check out Jamie's choices against Will's over the past decade

They've both played 2 African-American icons on screen

One lost the Oscar to Denzel, ironically . .

The other swept every award in a leading category
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    Dead at Mario van Peebles.
    @Black_Samson gives no ?
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? ain't nothing but Cuba gooding jr with job security.

cute-dog-loves-playing-dead.gif
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I understand Will's reasoning for not doing the movie. I also understand it was some hoe ? . Will is a rich, successful, role-calculating hoe. Will is doing Will so its cool, but it is what it is.

Leo can show up 3/4 into the film and Tom Cruise can do a 15 minute cameo in Tropic Thunder but Will Smith refuses to work with Quentin Tarantino because he doesn't have the most lines in the movie. Thats 3x more uppity house ? than anything Sam Jackson did in Django.

• KingFreeman
    Options
    I understand Will's reasoning for not doing the movie. I also understand it was some hoe ? . Will is a rich, successful, role-calculating hoe. Will is doing Will so its cool, but it is what it is.

Leo can show up 3/4 into the film and Tom Cruise can do a 15 minute cameo in Tropic Thunder but Will Smith refuses to work with Quentin Tarantino because he doesn't have the most lines in the movie. Thats 3x more uppity house ? than anything Sam Jackson did in Django.

So will is supposed to take the role cause tarantino offered it? He wasn't ? with it and he was clear about it. He kills the box office if he don't wanna play the ? he doesn't have to.
    Tom cruise has a deal with paramount he doesn't have a ? choice in roles. He does what they tell him to.
    Leo does whatever the ? he wants and hasn't been offered a ? role since growing pains. And Leo is on a different tier than all the actors talked about in this thread.

• rip.dilla
    Options
    ^ ^ ^ He "kills" the box office alright but why did he have to allow M.Night Shymalahan of all the directors in Hollywood to direct him in his upcoming flick? Or he didn't have the powers to say 'NO' this time huh?

M.Night's last good film was Unbreakable, released 13 good years ago

LOL
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    What's ur point tho? U think he won't do numbers cause its a m.night film? Seems like a great opportunity for his son which is probably the biggest reason why he took it. That should be pretty obvious.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Of course, its always about numbers . .

Yeah good point about his kid
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    s.free wrote: »
    Tom cruise has a deal with paramount he doesn't have a ? choice in roles. He does what they tell him to.

Wow you have no idea what you're talking about. The Cruiser may be psychotic but everything he does he does it on his own terms. Tom Cruise has a deal with paramount through his production company where in he brings projects he's interested in to them and gets them to give them the greenlight (Ie: M:I movies which paramount was going to reboot before Cruise convinced them otherwise before the 4th movie, Jack Reacher) and then he also ends up starring in them and getting a sweet back end deal as a producer to make even more dollars.

He's also not limited to only making films for Paramount pictures in his deal. Which is why Oblivion is a Universal release.

The last time Tom Cruise was backed into a corner and forced to take a role he didn't want to take it was still the early 1980's.

• rip.dilla
    Options
    LOL

Watching a Fresh Prince marathon right now

LMAO, Will's a fool though
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    s.free wrote: »

Wow you have no idea what you're talking about. The Cruiser may be psychotic but everything he does he does it on his own terms. Tom Cruise has a deal with paramount through his production company where in he brings projects he's interested in to them and gets them to give them the greenlight (Ie: M:I movies which paramount was going to reboot before Cruise convinced them otherwise before the 4th movie, Jack Reacher) and then he also ends up starring in them and getting a sweet back end deal as a producer to make even more dollars.

He's also not limited to only making films for Paramount pictures in his deal. Which is why Oblivion is a Universal release.

The last time Tom Cruise was backed into a corner and forced to take a role he didn't want to take it was still the early 1980's.

Ur right I was misinformed. Don't get in ur feelings about ur white Jesus. Relax. Apparently paramount cut him. Mgm offered him a similar but lesser deal.

I'm watching enemy of the state right now then I'm watching I robot. ? y'all.