Lets be real, Wayne was the king of a Weak ERA

Options
Zigefresh
Zigefresh Members Posts: 233 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in The Reason
Wayne is my dude and all but let's not exaggerate his talent. He was the complete standout of one of the worse eras of rap from his music to his persona. That's what made him so popular.

Pre 05: lol ain't nobody give a ? about Dweyne here

05-07: Lil Wayne was a B-list rapper waiting for better artists to leave him scraps with which to make mixtapes.

08: Lil Wayne has his greatest success in one of the least top-heavy years in hip-hop history, with only a prison-going T.I. and autotune singing Kanye to compete with.

09-11: after effects of hugely successful C3, couple trash albums in this stage, including Rebirth.

Present: With his peers group now back to some level of respectability, Little Dweyne is no longer the standout he once was now that his style has now been jacked by almost every new rapper out nowadays and molded to their unquie personas. Even his fans and haters alike would agree that he is starting to slowly fall off even though he his his recent songs in heavy rotation on the radio .

Lil Wayne, the greatest weak era king of all time.

Lil+Wayne+King+Sheeeiit.jpg

Comments

• international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah, Jay-Z needs an honorable mention too...when Pac and Big were poppin that ? wasn't ? , they had to die and even then DMX prevented him from sole position and then Em came out also...Nas then blasted the ? when he forgot his place and was gettin to comfortable...not saying he was never King but he deserves a mention too.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'll never call him the king. Don't matter how popular he was during his run he still wasnt putting out good music.
    his punchlines are way overrated and watered down.

I'll admit Wayne was big and had success but his music wasnt backing that up imo
    majority of his music is a Glad™ trash bag full of garbage
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanna disagree so bad...Naw, ? that, I disagree...
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still like Wayne, shockingly.

But I agree even tho I don't want to.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    An Era that included Kanye, Nas, Em and Jay Z. LOL @ that being weak. They are 4 of the greatest to ever do it and have been very active during Waynes dominance.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Umm carter 1 came out in 04 and thats the album that made Wayne who he is now...

Also I think in one of those years Wayne had 50+ songs make the top 100...

But the "era" u speak of was not weak...

50 N G UNIT was in dey prime during this time...

Dipset was doin they thing..

wassnt lupe gaining steam?

didnt jay z come back?

I could keep goin..
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lil Wayne fans won't be able to see the truth but Lil Wayne had little competition in the late 2000s which is why he could get away with flooding the market and calling himself the greatest rapper alive
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    Lil Wayne fans won't be able to see the truth but Lil Wayne had little competition in the late 2000s which is why he could get away with flooding the market and calling himself the greatest rapper alive
    he had Kanye

T.I.

Jay z..

Eminem..

All people he had worked with during dat time..
  • A1000MILES
    Options

That could be said about almost any rapper that gained "superstar" status though, they naturally carve a lane where there isn't much competition, just imitatation...But even less for Wayne, cause during his come up, Kanye was in his prime and 50 was in his decline...Tip could still sell gold out the gate...Jay was Jordan wit the 45...Then he went and created competition for himself by signing Drake...
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    he had Kanye

T.I.

Jay z..

Eminem..

like t/s said T.I. and Ye were the only real competition.
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    That was gonna be my other point...Wayne wasn't een really the king like that...His popularity just grew and grew with each move and each tape...
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Lil Wayne was like a toilet in a field of garage

he just stood out
  • whitecracker
    whitecracker Members Posts: 406
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    An Era that included Kanye, Nas and Jay Z. LOL @ that being weak. They are three of the greatest to ever do it and have been very active during Waynes dominance.
    only reason why wayne is still relevant is because he still raps to a tennage crowd

yeezy is the best rapper in this gen though i dont count nas and jay z but yeezy still makes music that will last and has content to it
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    Lil Wayne was like a toilet in a field of garage

he just stood out

So now...He was in a field of garbage...But when the whole "B.R.A." ? was hot...There were a thoooooooooooouuuuuuuusandrappers better than him, right?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    An Era that included Kanye, Nas and Jay Z. LOL @ that being weak. They are three of the greatest to ever do it and have been very active during Waynes dominance.
    only reason why wayne is still relevant is because he still raps to a tennage crowd

yeezy is the best rapper in this gen though i dont count nas and jay z but yeezy still makes music that will last and has content to it

I wouldn't say Kanye is the best rapper, i think that title goes to Lupe imo. Kanye is the best artist though, i just don't know about rapper with all his ghostwriting and what not.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    he had Kanye

T.I.

Jay z..

Eminem..

If dats da case dats some good competition lol..

In any givin year no more then 5 people gonna be "a list competition.."
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    he had Kanye

T.I.

Jay z..

Eminem..

If dats da case dats some good competition lol..

In any givin year no more then 5 people gonna be "a list competition.."

but lets compare it to other eras: early/mid 2000s Kanye, Jay, 50/G Unit, Dipset, Ludacris and Nelly were all popping, Where was Wayne? and objectively he wouldn't have been on top in the 90s as a solo artists either so Wayne's rise to the top was heavily dependent on timing
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited March 2013
    Options
    from 05-08 you had

tip
    kanye
    hov
    game
    jeezy
    nas

all release albums during that time period. and those were the biggest rappers out at that time.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Umm carter 1 came out in 04 and thats the album that made Wayne who he is now...

Also I think in one of those years Wayne had 50+ songs make the top 100...

But the "era" u speak of was not weak...

50 N G UNIT was in dey prime during this time...

Dipset was doin they thing..

wassnt lupe gaining steam?

didnt jay z come back?

I could keep goin..

the Carter 1 & 2 came out in 04 & 05 at that time Wayne was cool but not the mega star he became, he popped in 07 and took over in 08 with Carter 3.

Dipset after 06 was basically done.
    G unit was done after 05
    Lupe had a spark when he started but ended up garbage.
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options

so we gonna forget in 2008 nas released an album

q tip,

rick ross

the game

and plies.. when he was buzzing.

don't act like he didn't have competition when CIII came out.
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    wayne really blew off in 2006 tho with the dedication 2....