Dodgeball is bullying? Adults promote this ? -ness.

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
School Dodgeball Ban: New Hampshire District Stops 'Human Target' Sports, Citing Bullying

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/28/school-dodgeball-ban-windham-new-hampshire_n_2973792.html

Students attending Windham schools in New Hampshire, won't be dodging ? during gym class anymore. The school district voted to ban dodgeball and other "human target" sports in a recent 4-1 decision, according to multiple sources.

Windham Patch reports that school officials launched an inquiry into the physically aggressive activities after a parent complained. Ultimately, administrators cited bullying concerns for the reason to prohibit students from playing dodgeball and similar games during school hours.

"We spend a lot of time making sure our kids are violence free," Windham Superintendent Henry LaBranche told the Eagle-Tribune. "Here we have games where we use children as targets. That seems to be counter to what we are trying to accomplish with our anti-bullying campaign."

The school district's decision to ban dodgeball actually falls in line with the National Association for Sport and Physical Education's recommendation. Following the release of "DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story," the nonprofit association, which sets standards for school sports, announced that it does not approve of dodgeball as an appropriate activity for K-12 students.

The association pointed out that not all students are able to participate equally, since some of the players who require more physical activity are typically eliminated first. Targeting of "weaker" students was also cited as a concern.

While the Windham school board has referenced similar reasons to defend its decision, not everyone is on board with the newly enacted ban.

"I think it’s ridiculous,” local parent Lesa Meuller, who has two boys ages 9 and 12, told Windham Patch. "I’ve never heard of anyone getting hurt playing dodgeball."

Whether dodgeball is an appropriate sport for school children has been a topic of discussion among school administrators for more than a decade. As a 2001 New York Times story notes, schools across the nation have moved to restrict or limit the aggressive activity, and, in some cases, officially ban the sport.

Comments

• NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with Lesa Meuller. This ? 's ridiculous.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow. Sad thing is that they actually think they are helping their kids
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    They been took dodge ball out of most schools. It's one of those let's be safe things because, let's be honest, certain kids were targeted during dodge ball. I personally wouldn't d it if I were a principal, but I can see why others would because of what it can potentially be used for
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This next generation of kids are ? .....a bunch of soft, fragile bitchmade bunch they will be...

not in small town conservative areas, at least not with the "let us hold hands and everyone gets a trophy" ? , when it comes to physical activity.

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    They been took dodge ball out of most schools. It's one of those let's be safe things because, let's be honest, certain kids were targeted during dodge ball. I personally wouldn't d it if I were a principal, but I can see why others would because of what it can potentially be used for

People are always going to be a target for something. ? , being black i get targeted. Nobody doing ? about that.
    Targeting the fat kid was part of the fun. An trying to get that one kid thats hard to hit was also part of the fun. And if the fat kid was the hard to hit kid....it was an epic day.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its going to be demoliton man in a few years no cursin rough housing ordinary ? getting banned people won't know how to throw a punch
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    Its going to be demoliton man in a few years no cursin rough housing ordinary ? getting banned people won't know how to throw a punch

Too late...? cant fight
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was the dodgeball don.. ? I knew from Elementary would remind me of greatness throughout High School..

? New Hampshire..
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never played dodge ball at school.

They gave us a basketball, football, a goal with no nets and freshly cut grass and told us to have fun.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This generation is getting softer and softer
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its New Hampshire tho.....we've already seen them kids shoot up ? for less up that way lol

on another note, dodge ball was one of the only times i dressed out for p.e.....put them little ass shorts on just for a chance to beam somebody....idk how ya'll played but at my school they would divide the class in half, put them on either side of the gym facing the wall, and then line up like 9 ? at half court....blow that whistle and its going down!!....there would always be one team that would end up with all the ? and just close in and slaughter the other one....and it was always that one girl that would get hit in the face and be out for the day....#icepackaction

fun times
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited March 2013
    Options
    they killing all the kid games...

catch a girl get a girl will now be called youth ?
    touch football will be called ? ...because the touch was non-consenual.
    ? wont play house no more...cause it will be too many hoes and they dont wanna give up half they lunch if they break up.
    ? wont play doctor no more because of malpractice lawsuits and ? wanna check they credentials.

just a matter of time before football is considered domestic terrorism...? always wanna throw the bomb.

only thing left to do is play video games....an they wont why the kids getting fat
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    HAF BAYKED wrote: »
    Its New Hampshire tho.....we've already seen them kids shoot up ? for less up that way lol

on another note, dodge ball was one of the only times i dressed out for p.e.....put them little ass shorts on just for a chance to beam somebody....idk how ya'll played but at my school they would divide the class in half, put them on either side of the gym facing the wall, and then line up like 9 ? at half court....blow that whistle and its going down!!....there would always be one team that would end up with all the ? and just close in and slaughter the other one....and it was always that one girl that would get hit in the face and be out for the day....#icepackaction

fun times

an til this day...those are the ? that still dont like ? or nut to the face
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

DANM This ? said "pulled up to the shore with my freedom missing".
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? we use to play hockey when I was in middle school. They let us check each other into the brick walls of the gym. And ? don't know how to use the hockey stick so it was basically assault with a deadly weapon like 20 times per game.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol i remember this Mexican kid had his head down trying to get the puck out of a corner and someone checked him into the wall face first. My gym (or p.e.) teacher was like GOT DAMN!!!
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I was telling my nephew about dodgeball one day he didnt even know what I was talking about. Damn shame. I took him outside and taught him the game lol. Him and his brothers ? eachother up that day lol