Top technology industry female developer quits her post over scantily-clad women at conference

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By JESSICA MONTOYA COGGINS and DAVID MCCORMACK

A party at a gaming conference featuring women wearing skimpy clothes while dancing on stage has caused several high profile female industry figures to speak out about what they say is the unacceptable level of sexism that still persists within their field of work. The Game Developers Conference is a four-day event, held in San Francisco, which is the largest annual gathering of professional video game developers. It finished on Friday and the issue dominating much of the event was that women working in the industry have had enough of being demeaned and objectified by their male counterparts.

Brenda Romero, disgusted by the dancing girls at an event co-organized by the International Game Developer’s Association, promptly resigned her position as co-chair of it's Women in Games group via Twitter. 'Two women walked up to me this morning with tears in their eyes and thanked me,' Romero wrote in a follow-up tweet. 'Now I have tears in my eyes.' The IGDA, a non-profit organization, has acknowledged that some of the performers' outfits were inappropriate, reports Business Insider.

'We regret that the IGDA was involved in this situation,' read an IGDA statement. 'We do not condone activities that objectify or demean women or any other group of people.' She wasn’t the only woman determined to take a stand against sexism within the industry.

On Tuesday, Meagan Marie, who works for Crystal Dynamics who make games including Tomb Raider, also took a public stand against the sexism she had had to endure at PAX, a gamers conference the previous week.

article-0-190069DF000005DC-490_306x423.jpgarticle-0-190069C4000005DC-325_306x423.jpg

Marie is known for organizing 'cosplay' events where gamers dress up in costumes. Many video games depict women in revealing clothes and so some of the costumes were sexy. Unfortunately, blogged Marie, some men think that gives them the right to be ? or aggressive.

'The situation this weekend at PAX made me question why I'm willing to stand up for others, but not myself. By allowing myself to be treated this way I'm perpetuating that this behavior is acceptable. 'And it isn't. If I continue stand by silently, I might as well sit on the sidelines and watch while other young women endure what I have.

'The treatment and representation of women in gaming has come to a head this past year, and I know some of you are tired of hearing about it. I'm tired of living it. 'I want to feel safe and valued as a member of this industry, whether I'm conducting an interview, talking to fans on a convention floor, or cosplaying. And I have a right to that,' she wrote.

article-2301426-19009696000005DC-427_634x443.jpg

Comments

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Pics of the angry broad....BET she ugly.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Insecure ass ? .
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Basically all these broads are saying "What about me? Will somebody notice meeeeee?" Shut up ?
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They hating on the booth babes.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ht_shock_060727_ssv.jpg

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smash in the chick in the 2nd pic
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She look like a freak dawg
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    she mad people wasnt looking and listening to her cuz they was focused on the other chicks.

bikini chicks are a part of business and you have to play into what you core crowd likes.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? make people spend money....been that way forever....them broads need to take a business course
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HAF BAYKED wrote: »
    ?

Came in here simply to post this.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    If these ? are too stupid to understand WHY there are thin pretty girls at a young male dominated consumer market then they dont deserve their jobs. Period.

They need to develop a game where they get married and slowly ? off a man's hopes & dreams as the game progresses. Oh wait they already invented that game. It's called Marriage. Available EVERYWHERE. Well except for those short haired man-hating lesbian attention-? ? . They'll have to wait for the Supreme Court on that one.

why bulldikes gotta mean mug all the time?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The men do not need to come ? and crazy. Sexism is very real and still at very high levels.
  • 7figz
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    The men do not need to come ? and crazy. Sexism is very real and still at very high levels.

What do men have to do with this ?

• Ajackson17
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

What do men have to do with this ?

Well, it's against sexism and the victim of the sex is female so males perpetuate sexism against women. So it does have to deal with men. I been to comic, anime, and video game conventions and I seen a whole bunch of sexism. Like on this board.
  • 7figz
    edited March 2013
    Options
    It's beginning to seem like anti-sexism just means anti-sex.

It would be one thing if someone was discriminating against women based on their gender but now having attractive women at an event is a problem ?
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    are they really upset that sex sells? do they even know what industry they work in? like seriously, nearly ever female video game character wear almost no clothes.

also, i doubt anyone stopped them from bringing there own half naked male dancers, but not only do women not really go to those kinds of affects, naked men isn't the type of ? that intrigues us.

men like scantily clad women, how is that sexist?

I don't think it's the problem, but men like to go overboard with everything and especially when you are at these kinds of events. I believe what she is doing is that there is more to being a woman than just being sexy, which is obvious. Sex sells but I can watch Game of Thrones, Spartacus, etc good ass shows and good ass video games without the sexy images and truly enjoy them. But I guess for some people that its not enough.
  • 7figz
    Options
    The same society that wants to glorify homosexuality wants to suppress sexuality - go figure.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How violent/? are Game of Thrones and Spartacus?

Depending on the answer, they may be pirated.
  • tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How violent/? are Game of Thrones and Spartacus?

Depending on the answer, they may be pirated.

If you ever watched true blood then it's at that level or maybe even past it
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yeah both are violent and there is a lot of nudity - spartacus without it, it's not spartacus, but it does get very repetitive so I watch one every two weeks or so. Game of Thrones has a lot more nudity and the violence is not a whole lot but when done it's very like damn that's brutal. Spartacus probably wouldn't be much without it, but a lot of the nudity scenes in Game of Thrones can be passed.