Adam Orth Resigns From Microsoft

Options
themadlionsfan
themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
Microsoft Creative Director Departs After ‘Always On’ Controversy
Adam Orth is no longer with the company following last week’s “deal with it” comments.
by Andrew Goldfarb APRIL 10, 2013

Microsoft creative director Adam Orth is no longer with the company following last week’s “deal with it” comments. The news comes via Polygon, who confirmed with two sources that Orth has departed.

According to Game Informer, Orth resigned, though it’s currently unconfirmed “whether this was a voluntary or forced resignation.”

Last week, Orth posted a series of tweets in response to rumors that Microsoft’s next console will require a constant internet connection. At the time, Orth told followers to “deal with it” and noted that “I don't get the drama around having an 'always-on' console. Every device is now 'always-on.’”

A day later, Microsoft commented “we apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.”

We’ve reached out to Microsoft about Orth’s departure and will update this story with any comment we receive.

Comments

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been waiting for this. Dumb ? on the Internet.
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Karl.
    Options
    He got "dealt" with.
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Means nothing. They still going to do it.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lion_heart wrote: »
    Means nothing. They still going to do it.

Actually this does seem to validate the rumors by making it seem like they were working on a big rhetorical speech to get people on board with the idea and had it undercut by his Twitter outburst of stupid.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was away from the internet for a whole week last week, so I missed this controversy. he basically told twitter posters to accept the fact 360 will always be on and suckit up??
  • Karl.
    Options
    I was away from the internet for a whole week last week, so I missed this controversy. he basically told twitter posters to accept the fact 720 will always be on and suckit up??

Yea, pretty much.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I called it!! That fool got fired.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was away from the internet for a whole week last week, so I missed this controversy. he basically told twitter posters to accept the fact 360 will always be on and suckit up??

so you weren't able to play your 720 then .................. lol

It was really a convo between him and a friend, but yea, he must remember he represents a company and as such, his replies were inappropriate.
  • earth two superman
    Options
  • earth two superman
    edited April 2013
    Options
    but to be fair, im pretty sure 'always on' does not mean 'needs an internet connection to be used'. Technically, isnt my ps3 is always on if it's in sleep mode.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, anyway...I wonder when M$ will announce and detail the next XBOX since none of this other ? matters.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn... So the internet lynch mob helped dude get fired...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »

Nah you can't blame people on the internet for this. Microsoft has a policy of silence towards the 720. This ? basically broke that all so he could stick to some people on the internet. He has to be a complete idiot to not know that would cost him his job.
  • sapo614
    sapo614 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    So, anyway...I wonder when M$ will announce and detail the next XBOX since none of this other ? matters.
    May 21 is the date I keep hearing
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah you can't blame people on the internet for this. Microsoft has a policy of silence towards the 720. This ? basically broke that all so he could stick to some people on the internet. He has to be a complete idiot to not know that would cost him his job.
    I'm not not just blaming them... But at the same time they made it more than what it was that was a conversation between him and his friend. Was he wrong? Yeah... But I don't think he would be fired if the internet didn't crucify him and made it more than what it was... If 30 news site didn't report it and made it a big deal MS would've suspended him or something.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not not just blaming them... But at the same time they made it more than what it was that was a conversation between him and his friend. Was he wrong? Yeah... But I don't think he would be fired if the internet didn't crucify him and made it more than what it was... If 30 news site didn't report it and made it a big deal MS would've suspended him or something.

Joking with a friend or not, he did insult entire cities in the same convo before he made his account private - cities full of people that support the company he works for.
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I think people don't fully understand how great the repurcussions of his actions could've been , such a comment could put a dent on Microsoft's stock price. No suprise he lost his job.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah dog, he was gone regardless. The fact that he came out and said anything when Microsoft is maintaining a policy of total silence in regards to the 720 is enough for him to have been kicked. On top of that, he basically insulted potential customers for the system. Even if no one on the net said anything in response, there is no way Microsoft would have kept him on after that. People get fired for doing far less on a far less public stage.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he should have just text his friend or kept it in dms