If the Lakers dont make the postseason does that put a stain in Kobe Legacy???

Options
Jdilla26
Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
With the Lakers fighting for the 8th spot none of us @ the beginning of season thought this would be the fate of the Lakers praying that Utah loses games in order to make the playoffs with a Laker team that consist of Kobe Nash Howard and Gasol. With that being said does this put a lil ? in armor of Kobe legacy compared with the All-time greats

If the Lakers dont make the postseason does that put a stain in Kobe Legacy??? 59 votes

Yes
38%
will grimeyB_Anawledge_goddamnkpalmighty breezeBcotton5IceBergTaylornujerz84Tommy bilfigerits....JOHN BKameNothingButTheTruthTheBoyRoJdilla26Aristo_V300SupremeXXVKamPushMePiffyHazeShadyWorldOrderSleepwalkingInJapan 23 votes
No
61%
buttuh_bex-soldierplaymaker88S2JCP203infamous114joeyfkncrakkthemadlionsfangman82damobb2deepStack MoneyCutler 26 INT's LOL!unspoken_respectReppinTimeFlyFreeCtcoop9889Young_Chitlinnumbaz...80's babyMR.CJBilly_Poncho 36 votes

Comments

• smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I would think so. A player of his calibre with that sort of talent shouldnt be fighting for an 8th seed. Team chemistry and coaching play a big part but Kobe's play has played a big role especially early in the season.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    No..... Kobe has made the playoffs with way less talent, so that should tell you instead of judging a 34/17yr kobe you should be judging the 'talent' he has 2 play with on this team
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    the entire starting roster has missed strings of games, all of em came back early from injuries, 3 coaches, dwight still supposedly injured. no not a stain. and thats without even mentioning kobe doing things no 34 year old has ever done in the nba.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Colorado didn't stain his career,nothin will.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Its not his fault the lakers have been battering injuries.
  • P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    If he wasn't playing this well maybe...but he is literally putting this whole team on his back this year...if anything it stains Nash and Dwight's legacy...Nash not so much he's 65 years old
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    No
    No thats pretty ridiculous... what he does from here on out is icing on the cake.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    4 rings and one without Shaq.....missing the playoffs this one year when you have a supporting cast thats mostly injured?.....why would that tarnish his other 17 years?
  • Jdilla26
    Options
    Yes
    Nobody is saying it would tarnish his 17 year legacy.....The question Im asking when comparing him to greats missing the playoffs with this type of team would that put a stain on his Legacy. Im not asking would this kick him out of the All-Time greats NO he still a all-time great but would this be a argument when comparing him to greats. Another thing so what about injuries......Everybody has injuries the Kniicks probably are the most injury riddled team but they still 2nd place and Spurs has injuries too. Even though Kobe putting up great stats this team is still suppose to be better than 8th seed. The biggest problem with the Lakers is Defense and Kobe Bryant biggest problem is DEFENSE he cant stop a soul on the court I know he's 34 yrs old but the same praise he gets for offense should get criticize for Defense.
  • ShadyWorldOrder
    ShadyWorldOrder Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Yes
    I remember Kobe b4 the season "We are gonna have to be dealt with"

People will remember this if they don't make the playoffs it will be a stain but won't tarnish his legacy. When comparing him 2 Lebron MJ and other greats this is a argument.

It's like remember when Kobe had Dwight Nash and Gasol but couldn't make the playoffs but Mo Williams andAl Jefferson did? And if Kobe played so Defense they could have won some them games vs Cavs Bobcats Kings

• coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    No
    Jdilla26 wrote: »
    Nobody is saying it would tarnish his 17 year legacy.....The question Im asking when comparing him to greats missing the playoffs with this type of team would that put a stain on his Legacy. Im not asking would this kick him out of the All-Time greats NO he still a all-time great but would this be a argument when comparing him to greats. Another thing so what about injuries......Everybody has injuries the Kniicks probably are the most injury riddled team but they still 2nd place and Spurs has injuries too. Even though Kobe putting up great stats this team is still suppose to be better than 8th seed. The biggest problem with the Lakers is Defense and Kobe Bryant biggest problem is DEFENSE he cant stop a soul on the court I know he's 34 yrs old but the same praise he gets for offense should get criticize for Defense.

Honestly you must be like 12 years old.

You cant say:
    Nobody is saying it would tarnish his 17 year legacy

And then ask :
    but would this be a argument when comparing him to greats?

If this WAS applicable as an argument when comparing him to greats, then that would mean it tarnished his legacy. Simple logic.

And the answer is no.

Pretty much every great either missed the playoffs at some point or had a subpar season. Hell, MJ made the playoffs on a team that went 30-52.
    Kobe Bryant biggest problem is DEFENSE

Last night Kobe had 4 blocks and 3 steals. For the FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER.

Close thread.
  • Jdilla26
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Yes
    Tarnishing his career would be saying he is not one of the greats anymore b/c he missed the postseason. Im asking would this put a simple STAIN in his legacy. When comparing him greats does this take him a notch down or couple notches down from where you had him on your all-time list. Dude save your cape.....you say mike made the playoffs with a subpar 30-52 record right.....WELL guess what HE MADE THE PLAYOFFS and he didnt have Pippen Grant or Phil. You say every great has missed the playoffs at some point yes they have but did they with 3 other future HOFer on the team.

Then you point out some stats to show Kobe has defense really vs Trail Blazers then you fail to mention Lillard had 38 points last night mostly on Kobe b4 you look @ stats look take a look @ the game Kobe is non existent on Defense vs pick and rolls

I can't even say "overrated leadership skills" , he doesn't even have any. He needed to play hero ball since February to get back to .500 vs bottom of the barrell teams , not building any chemistry at all and not making his team mates better.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Kobes legacy will me more tarnished.. because of how people feel about him than anything.. and his lack of defense has been overstated this year.. does he lapse of ball.. hell yeah..but the overall picture is exaggerated
  • coop9889
    edited April 2013
    Options
    No
    Tarnishing his career would be saying he is not one of the greats anymore b/c he missed the postseason. Im asking would this put a simple STAIN in his legacy.

Lol

tar·nish
    /ˈtärniSH/
    Verb
    Lose or cause to lose luster, esp. as a result of exposure to air or moisture: "silver tarnishes easily".

You don't even know what you're asking.
  • Jdilla26
    Options
    Yes
    coop9889 wrote: »
    Tarnishing his career would be saying he is not one of the greats anymore b/c he missed the postseason. Im asking would this put a simple STAIN in his legacy.

Lol

tar·nish
    /ˈtärniSH/
    Verb
    Lose or cause to lose luster, esp. as a result of exposure to air or moisture: "silver tarnishes easily".

You don't even know what you're asking.

LOL you really got me there SMH you're a real funny guy whoopy doo you feel better

cookie-meme-generator-wow-you-want-a-cookie-9df744.jpg

• coop9889
    edited April 2013
    Options
    No
    The difference between "tarnishing" and "staining" a career is negligible fool. Anything negative of significance "stains" a career.

You asked if this is something to make an argument against Kobe when comparing him to all time greats.

Well IF the Lakers miss the playoffs, sure, compare Kobe's SEVENTEENTH season to anyone else's 17th season.

Good luck with that.
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Only reason I'd say yes is because of the star power on the team. Although they've been banged up, that team should at least be the 8th seed in the playoffs.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Yes
    The lakers have missed the playoffs 5 times in 65 years.If this team misses out 2 of those teams woulda been led by kobe nuff said

And Jordan dropped 40+ 10x and had a 55 point game at age 34.I don't know why people act like kobe is doin something that has never been done before
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    blu197 wrote: »
    No..... Kobe has made the playoffs with way less talent, so that should tell you instead of judging a 34/17yr kobe you should be judging the 'talent' he has 2 play with on this team

Fam...I even voted no, but @ the bolded has NEVER been used as an argument for Kobe! Lol He's had 2 years without elite talent...he missed the playoffs, then made it as a 8 seed, cried to Dr. Buss, then got Pao

Sigh. 'Kobe has done it without talent" Lol

iBLrG.gif
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    I said no b/c I'm assuming we all agree Kobe is an all-time great BUT ain't nowhere near Mike, regardless of what the championships say (see Shaq)

But then i remembered there's a small pocket of weirdos who think Kobe is close to Mike.

To THOSE people, yes, this season, if nothing else, should be the final bullet used to ? that argument... or just ? yourself.

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    I said no b/c I'm assuming we all agree Kobe is an all-time great BUT ain't nowhere near Mike, regardless of what the championships say (see Shaq)

But then i remembered there's a small pocket of weirdos who think Kobe is close to Mike.

To THOSE people, yes, this season, if nothing else, should be the final bullet used to ? that argument... or just ? yourself.

Yeah, right behind him, not on par.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    just like it would any other player
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    It would only be Kobe's 2nd time missing the postseason in his 17-year career.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    s2jepeka wrote: »

Mj himself has said Kobe is the best next 2 him... That argument wont ever die Jus off that...
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    The lakers have missed the playoffs 5 times in 65 years.If this team misses out 2 of those teams woulda been led by kobe nuff said

And Jordan dropped 40+ 10x and had a 55 point game at age 34.I don't know why people act like kobe is doin something that has never been done before

Mj missed the playoffs more then twice...