Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    resurrection is commons best album
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    Technical aspet Em is better not by much.

Com Sense is nice and has made better ? than Em as of late.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    Ban this ?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    Common's verse on Respiration alone ? on Em's career
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    lol@ this ?
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    Eminem's voice is mad ? annoying like a whiny naggy lil ?
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem can craft bars and schemes but his content is mostly trash and filler, and when it's not it's redundant "woe is me, i'll ? everybody 1000 ways, i do drugs" ? .

Common is far superior, and for that reason I consider him a top 5 rapper of all time. "I Used To Love H.E.R." by itself is better than any song in Em's catalog, including "Lose Yourself" & "Stan." Not to mention other epic Common tracks like "Faithful."

I respect Em for his ability to make rhymes, but any fan knows that the deeper the content and/or concept of the record, the more the rhyme scheme will suffer. However, a verse is about more than rhyme patterns alone, lyrics get their meaning and value from their content. For those that don't believe me, see Canibus.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    The Eminem show has soldier, say goodbye to hollywood, Square Dancing, Say what you say, Business and White America. All really strong songs lyrically.

Drips is meh, and the hook on cleaning out my closet is annoying as ? but he has some dope rhymes in the verses.

Overall i see it as his best album bar for bar as far as content goes.

• nickyb23
    nickyb23 Members Posts: 3
    Options
    Common
    The ? on you is one if the best diss songs in hip hop history.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    As a lyricist, Common gets this hands down. Common is more consistent, lyrically. Eminem, on the other hand, has too many songs where the technique is there, but the words are wasted. For example, Relapse is amazing display of stringing syllables together that both rhyme perfectly and shouldn't rhyme at all, but it's wasted on the serial killer storyline maintained throughout most of the album. Entertaining? Yes, but it lacks the power and impact of say a "Lose Yourself" or "Way I Am" where the technique and the lyrics were equally impactful. Not saying he needed a Pt. 2 or rehash of those songs, but songs where the actual words meant something without sacrificing technique.

Common may not be as great as Em from a technical rhyming aspect, but Common's lyrics have remained impactful for the most part. Common's wordplay has remained sharp without relying on corny or forced punchlines. He'll still release a song that just displays his raw ability on the mic, but it's still as effective as his more introspective records.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    BE >>> that ? 's entire existence
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    @DMTxCannabis

you gon explain why you flagged me? Am I supposed to think like the rest of yall? We on a message board, so ? gon have different opinions, and might not like what you like.

I feel that ? thes best cause he can make heartfelt songs, great hooks, pop songs, never been outshined on a track, extremely lyrical, & most of all....the dude cares about his craft, and takes the ? seriously. He aint just hopping in the booth to make a suit happy, or cause he wanna hop on the next hot ? bandwagon. He, Jay, 3stacks, Nas, & TIP round out my Top 5.

Yall need to learn when cats is just trolling, and when ppl just giving an opinion not matter how unpopular.

shadyteam? LMAO!
  • victory_kid
    victory_kid Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Two complete different artists. One is a lyrically inclined, the other is musically inclined. So its how you look at it.

Overall I would edge it to Eminem based of skill, but Common made far better music than Eminem has and probably ever will.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    LANDSLIDE*Calicoe voice*
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    Common, easy.
    maybe eminem, if you started listening to hip hop in 2003 and take it up the ass
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    Common I guess
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Em
    Common had his moments but he couldnt hang with canibus, which proved he's gonna have trouble with rappin ass rappers. When it comes to flat out rapping, very few are on Em's level especially when he was motivated.
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Em
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    I think Common is the better artist, but Em is the better emcee (from a technical standpoint). Common's discography > Em's discography. Em got 'em on flow and delivery.

Common is a dope rapper. His flow is a little rough, but he can definately rhyme. He been doing this for over 20 years and he's still putting out good product. Only wack album I can remember was Electric Circus but luckily he bounced back from that. He wanted to step out the box, experiment and artists should be allowed to do so IMO. Common is def one of the heavyweights.

I have very rarely seen Eminem get outshined on a track. Nobody's disputing the fact he got skills. However I question his song making ability cuz it's almost criminal for an emcee with his skillset to have such a weak discography. Imagine a legitimate GOAT contender like Jay Z or Nas having songs like "My name is", "The Real Slim Shady", "Without me", "Big Winnie" etc. in their discography.

The real slim shady is literally one of the best commercial songs to be lyrical at the same time. Dont hate.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common
    Em's subject matter is wwwaaayyy the ? out there but his lyricism is second to none. I can't relate to that craziness but I can tell if he chose another route it would be a tough decision.
  • c.g. productionz
    c.g. productionz Members Posts: 22
    Options
    Em
    Gotta go with Em, I say that because I can relate to his music better, he puts so much emotion into his delivery so it hits you hard.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Em
    This is better lyricist thread

Not who I personally like better thread.

Jesus.