Options
MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in The Reason

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No way, labels will find a way to survive. Huge industries like that don't just fade away. At most a few labels will die and end up absorbed by larger ones until there's a "big 3, 4, 5" type situation.
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    My ? mannie preaching, but where's homies eyebrows? LOL
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought they already were
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My ? mannie preaching, but where's homies eyebrows? LOL

20 years ago, he made a prophecy bout those too...Low and behold...
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i could see that coming a mile away
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know about that, if anything labels will sell off batcatalogs like how Motown is. You still need money to set up shows, market, promote,etc.

Labels might become more like banks, financer!
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I been saying the same ? for years.

It don't make sense to go plat off a CD that cost $14 and you only get $0.30 to every unit sold. Maybe $1.00 in rare cases. That's $14mil you've made and you get less than a third of it. Granted my examples are from early 2000 to late 90's averages.

I'd rather get $14 for each unit and sell a quarter mil. And every bit of that goes in my pocket. Yeah, some of that would have to go to business expenses. Roughly, 60g's to 80 g's, back in the day. I'd still pull more money in on my own than with a label. I'd just have to get my network marketing game up. And If I did manage to go plat, that's 14 mil in the bank.

All these cats get is a loan. And business's don't loan out money unless they make a profit. Usually double, triple, or quadruple the amount they loaned you. And they can't make money without you, so the ideal goal would be to keep you in debt for as long as they can. As often as they can.

But these rappers must know some ? I don't, cause they keep doing it like it's all good. I don't know.
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    since majors are barely outselling indeppendent labels (except for jay/kanye/wayne/em etc) i could def see it
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    No way, labels will find a way to survive. Huge industries like that don't just fade away. At most a few labels will die and end up absorbed by larger ones until there's a "big 3, 4, 5" type situation.

C/s this. look at South Korea's music industry. They have the big 3 (S.M. Entertainment, YG Entertainment and JYP Entertainment) and then small labels that no one really cares about.
  • jono
    Options
    Labels give rappers huge advances, money they can't make any other way, to lure them into a contract. The standard contract nowadays (the 360) gives the label access to all forms of income an artist has that includes endorsements, publishing, touring etc. These other revenue streams make up for the loss in record sales. Big advances and promises of endorsement money keep the majors alive.

Labels have also taken over a lot of new duties as well over the last few years. The artist is no longer and ARTIST. With the 360 he then becomes an employee of the label: increased promotions (compared to artists that don't have a 360), they pick his music (beats & content), they pay off whoever needs to be paid off so he can get radio play, they pay for the videos (of course picking the singles), they tell him when to go on tour and might pay for his travel, artists have to pay all this back in most instances.

Labels have adapted, they found a way around the traditional high risk, high reward model of the record business. Back in the day you could sign 100 acts and lose money because 70-80% of them were guaranteed to fail but the contracts were set up so that if even 1 of that original 100 struck platinum or gold the label made a small mint (of those that fail, the label had a hand in wriggling away some publishing or something to recoup that lost money). So imagine what happened when a label like Motown was popping out Gold albums left and right...

Artists for the most part are just trying to hitch themselves to the wagon because the wagon is gonna move regardless. Labels will make their money, artists are fighting for the scraps, you know the little twos and fews the labels are willing to let them get but for the most part the biggest check an artist will ever see will be an advance...and from what I've seen and heard from some aritsts...it can sometime be the only check.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you have start up money coming into the game, then you might not need a label. The problem is labels basically finances rappers.
  • jono
    Options
    That's all labels do. They invest.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what's a batcatalog?
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Won't a lot of labels become what live nation is now