Grant Hill's advice for Derrick Rose critics

Options
ShadyWorldOrder
ShadyWorldOrder Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
The longer the Chicago Bulls stay alive in the NBA playoffs, the louder the clamoring will grow for the return of their injured budding superstar, Derrick Rose. Before the din becomes overwhelming, critics should remember the story of an injured budding superstar of another era: Grant Hill.

The pressure on Rose, who hasn’t played since undergoing knee surgery last year, is already absurd. His detractors point out that injuries haven’t stopped teammates such as Joakim Noah, who has been playing with plantar fasciitis, or Nate Robinson, who has been battling the flu (complete with his very own ? pail on the bench). One fan has sued Rose for emotional distress, and a Chicago radio station asked listeners to send letters pressuring Rose to suit up. Even Steve Kerr, a TV commentator and former Bulls guard, basically called Rose soft, saying he “owes it to his teammates to return.”

Kerr, who played against Hill for about a decade in the National Basketball Association, can’t be that clueless. As Hill told me: “It’s noble and admirable what Noah and Robinson and these guys are doing. But to compare that to what Rose is going through is irresponsible.”
Before Hill became an NBA journeyman, he was the next Michael Jordan. The Detroit Pistons took him with the third pick in the 1994 draft; he was an instant and perennial all-star. In the 1999-2000 season, Hill’s last with the Pistons, he averaged 25.8 points per game.

Toward the end of that season, Hill’s ankle started bothering him. The Pistons’ trainers treated it and Hill continued playing, but the ankle kept getting worse. After he pulled himself from a game, the team’s doctors assured him that it was merely a bone bruise. Hill sat out the last few games of the regular season, amid criticism that he was worried about jeopardizing his free-agent payday. He returned for the playoffs, but in his second game he felt a “pop” in his ankle. Hill couldn’t go on. The ankle was diagnosed as broken. He underwent surgery four days later.

The story might still have ended happily. In August 2000, three months after his ankle surgery, the Orlando Magic signed Hill to a seven-year, $93 million deal. In September, Orlando cleared him to scrimmage against his new teammates. “I’m going against guys on the Magic that six months earlier I averaged 40 points against,” Hill said. “And I’m not feeling right.”

Hill wasn’t right. In the end, the ankle would require four more surgeries. He spent the prime of his career -- years when he should have been dominating the league -- in hospitals and training rooms. The Magic had made a mistake, pushing Hill back onto the court before his ankle had fully healed. But Hill had made a mistake, too, deferring to the judgment of the team’s doctors and ignoring his own instincts. He stayed in the NBA -- he may retire this summer, at 40, after spending the season with the Los Angeles Clippers -- but he never played with the same confidence again. “If I had sat out for a whole season, who knows what would have happened?” Hill said.

The Bulls haven’t pushed Rose back onto the court prematurely. But they did throw him under the bus, announcing in February that he had been medically cleared to play. “I don’t want to be critical of the Bulls, but I wish they just said, ‘Look, he’s out,’” Hill said.
Basketball is a physical game, but it’s also a psychological one, especially for elite players such as Hill and Rose, who are accustomed to feeling invincible on the court. Rose’s knee may have “healed,” but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to test it in games -- let alone in the playoffs against the Miami Heat.

People are treating Rose’s body like it belongs to them. It doesn’t. Only he will know when he’s ready to go. “Here’s the thing,” Hill says. “You want Derrick Rose to come back as Derrick Rose the great MVP, all-star player that he is -- to have that feeling when he steps on the court that no one can stop him. I remember that feeling from when I was young.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-08/grant-hill-s-advice-for-derrick-rose-s-critics.html

great article and great Hill got a chance to tell his story

Comments

• BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2 different injuries 2 diffrent time tables Rose was cleared 2 months Legler had 2 acl tears and said it seemed like Rose is trying to come back 100% and Legler said that's not going to happen and that Rose just has to go out and get use to a new normal and adjust his body to what happened.

He said roses issues are most likely all mental especially if he's warming up before games in front of your face. Imon Shumpert came back and had his injury around the same time. This just shows Derrick Rose is mentally weak the guy literally cries at the sight of needles. Derrick Rose actually is weak minded.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    B.BeST wrote: »
    @BlackxChild because a man is extra cautious and aware of the circumstances of being rushed back against his will doesn't make him weak minded..... IT MAKES HIM A MAN.

? what the fans/ownership/team thinks, thats what got grant hill and penny hardaway threw in the bushes, u go with your own instincts, its all about self preservation in the end....

No it's not that he's taking his time I understand a injury like this is hard to come back I know that it's scary just to stretch out your leg at first but Derrick rose is at the stage now where he's fine him going on the court now or next season isn't going to make a difference. He's never going to feel the same he just has to adjust with what's going on.

Rose is cleared to play he's just fine he's always going to feel something weak its about him just getting out and adjusting. What makes and think is weak is his character the guy cries at the sight of needles.... He cried at a shoe deal.... He hates leaving his house bc there are so many Derrick rose fans.... Literally this guy is timid and scared all of these things have been stated about him. The man just seems weak he doesn't need to cry as much as he does and he's really soft spoken in interviews the man just sounds weak.
  • B.BeST
    B.BeST Members Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BlackxChild because a man is extra cautious and aware of the circumstances of being rushed back against his will doesn't make him weak minded..... IT MAKES HIM A MAN.

? what the fans/ownership/team thinks, thats what got grant hill and penny hardaway threw in the bushes, u go with your own instincts, its all about self preservation in the end....

No it's not that he's taking his time I understand a injury like this is hard to come back I know that it's scary just to stretch out your leg at first but Derrick rose is at the stage now where he's fine him going on the court now or next season isn't going to make a difference. He's never going to feel the same he just has to adjust with what's going on.

Rose is cleared to play he's just fine he's always going to feel something weak its about him just getting out and adjusting. What makes and think is weak is his character the guy cries at the sight of needles.... He cried at a shoe deal.... He hates leaving his house bc there are so many Derrick rose fans.... Literally this guy is timid and scared all of these things have been stated about him. The man just seems weak he doesn't need to cry as much as he does and he's really soft spoken in interviews the man just sounds weak.

u just posted a bunch of ? that has nothing to do with nothing.... FoH kid, there is nothing weak about the boy on that court and at the end of the day thats what its all about.

as I stated when HE feels it is time to return HE will return, FOH trying to evaluate a ? like u see him daily....

• Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember Orlando being thirsty for Hill to comeback and team up with T-Mac never worked out. I remember last year I was complaining rose was coming back too early from injuries then the inevitable happened. So I'm not gonna throw salt on a guy who wants to take his time and wait next year. Just hopes he comes back stronger than ever
  • BlackxChild
    Options

u just posted a bunch of ? that has nothing to do with nothing.... FoH kid, there is nothing weak about the boy on that court and at the end of the day thats what its all about.

as I stated when HE feels it is time to return HE will return, FOH trying to evaluate a ? like u see him daily....

You hear enough stories about the guy and see enough vids of him crying. The man plays reckless and with heart that doesn't mean hes not weak in other areas.

Let me ask you this if Rose was Kobe do you think he'd be out there?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    wait.....

you really want this guy to trust his doctor when his doctor is paid for results?
    in 2013 no less....

yeah... yall a special kind of stupid.
    Wait so you want to trust that a guy who literally cries at the sight of a needle wouldn't be scared from coming back from a acl... The guy shows he's mentally weak all the time. The guy is literally scared to get out of the house Im not even sure if Chicago is the right place for him to live. Derrick Rose is scared....

Like I said if Rose was Kobe would he be out there?

Derrick Rose and his brother have given you guys reason to question him...
  • BlackxChild
    edited May 2013
    Options
    "Basketball is a physical game, but it’s also a psychological one, especially for elite players such as Hill and Rose, who are accustomed to feeling invincible on the court. Rose’s knee may have “healed,” but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to test it in games -- let alone in the playoffs against the Miami Heat."

This clearly states its 100% mental. So how am I not right to question a guy who cries at the sight of needles?

Like I said Derrick Rose and his brother have given you reason to question him. If Derrick rose was Kobe would he Be ouit there?

• BlackxChild
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    lol at being cleared by "team doctors"..
    Yea I'm sure paid doctors are trying to put Derrick rose at risk.... Plz get out of here you guys are making excuses for Derrick rose being mentally weak.

If Rose was Kobe would he be out there is all you need o ask yourself. Rose is fine it's all mental. I know it's hard and scary to come back from this kind of an injury. So what's wrong with saying Derrick rose a man who cries at the sight of needles isn't scared to come back from a acl. He's obviously mentally weak.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Basketball is a physical game, but it’s also a psychological one, especially for elite players such as Hill and Rose, who are accustomed to feeling invincible on the court. Rose’s knee may have “healed,” but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to test it in games -- let alone in the playoffs against the Miami Heat."

This clearly states its 100% mental. So how am I not right to question a guy who cries at the sight of needles?

Like I said Derrick Rose and his brother have given you reason to question him. If Derrick rose was Kobe would he Be ouit there?

And you saw what happened to Kobe when he didn't take the proper time to rest, he's out for 9 months now.

Do i think Rose should be playing now, yes but it's his body so he can do whatever he wants. People will forget all about this next season when he's back to leading the team back to the postseason
  • ShadyWorldOrder
    ShadyWorldOrder Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's a difference between being a competitor and being stupid. It's fun to look at football players of the past who shrug off concussions to get back in the fight, man up, rub some dirt on it and keep going... until they ? themselves with shotguns later in life because of the permanent brain damage they caused.

If Derrick Rose doesn't feel ready to go then he'll be tentative, passive and question his ability. Any athlete will tell you that they're more likely to hurt themselves again when they feel that way.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    There's a difference between being a competitor and being stupid. It's fun to look at football players of the past who shrug off concussions to get back in the fight, man up, rub some dirt on it and keep going... until they ? themselves with shotguns later in life because of the permanent brain damage they caused.

If Derrick Rose doesn't feel ready to go then he'll be tentative, passive and question his ability. Any athlete will tell you that they're more likely to hurt themselves again when they feel that way.
    Which translates to him being mentally weak...

Tim Leggler said he just needs to get confidence and he has to realize he just needs to go out there and get use to it but he needs to have some confidence.

He should go out there when he's ready the thing is his body is ready right now but because he's mentally weak and soft it's better that he's not out there.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is the thing ? dont expect him 2 go out and be "d.rose" they Jus want him 2 go out and show heart...

Think u have 3 teams in playoffs now that before the playoffs started they aint have real stand out stars ( golden state, Indiana, Memphis) and all said teams now have a real chance 2 win they series.. Rose could play off the bench make 6 points and they still lose and ? would be like "he atleast showing heart"
  • BlackxChild
    Options

And you saw what happened to Kobe when he didn't take the proper time to rest, he's out for 9 months now.

Do i think Rose should be playing now, yes but it's his body so he can do whatever he wants. People will forget all about this next season when he's back to leading the team back to the postseason
    Do you even know what type of injury Kobe had? His injury is a freak injury that randomly occurs has nothing to do with the time he was playing doctors will tell you that.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    A more interesting thread would be about how Bulls seem to win games even before this season any time Derrick Rose isn't playing. Is Derrick rose really helping the Bulls win games? He's a volume shooter and the team might be well served trading him and trying to find a different star. Plus who wants a guy with a weak mental makeup.

One thing I hate is how this dude is in pre warmups with no intention to play. Sit you're butt down instead of teasing fans.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you even know what type of injury Kobe had? His injury is a freak injury that randomly occurs has nothing to do with the time he was playing doctors will tell you that.

Kobe had other foot and ankle injuries that piled up before the Achilles, when you dont rest properly then something else breaks down
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Derrick Rose cried as the sight of needles? Or the needle made Derrick Rose cry? Were needles the cause of Derrick Rose's tears? Maybe seeing the needles is what caused tears to flow from Derrick Rose?

The search for the best way to bring up something irrelevant continues...
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Remember waaaaay back in the offseason when people asked if he would miss the entire season???

If he (or the bulls) would have simply said yes, right then and there...None of this would be happening. Poeple would have understood.

• BlackxChild
    Options

Which translates to him being mentally weak...

Tim Leggler said he just needs to get confidence and he has to realize he just needs to go out there and get use to it but he needs to have some confidence.

He should go out there when he's ready the thing is his body is ready right now but because he's mentally weak and soft it's better that he's not out there.

Guess you missed all of last season when Rose played through numerous injuries and kept hurting himself, likely contributing to him tearing his ACL because his body was battered and weakened from constant rehab and favoring other back and leg injuries. Or maybe not. Rub some dirt on it Derrick and get in there. You exist for our entertainment. smh

Yep he was fearless then in those situations you're right... He's still being mentally weak now... Is It not possible for a man to have no problems with shoulder injuries or a knee sprain but be scared to comeback from a ACL?

Exactly the guy is mentally weak in areas that doesn't mean he's scared of everything.

• coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I love how ? who never spoke a word to derrick rose in their life know not only his psyche, but also precisely how he really feels.

This discussion has been closed.