so I've hit that age where a sports car is inevitable

Options
konceptjones
konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Let Me Ride
Yeah... So I'm at that point in life where there's a sports car of some sort in my near future to restore and drive the ? out of on a track. I've already warned the missus about it, so she knows it's coming soon. I have a few cars I'm looking at in the ~$20K and under range now and wanna see what y'all think:

#1 pick - Porsche 944 Turbo S (88 - 90)

_Porsche_944_Turbo_220hp49420eb2d10eb.jpg

I've always loved this thing, but only the Turbo. It would likely be an '88 or '89 'cause the 90 is entirely too rare in the US. Stock, it can run 0-60 in about 5.5 sec and has a top speed of ~155mph. My idea would be to get one in decent condition, cop a 300hp (at the wheels) upgrade from Lindsey Racing, and restore it completely and drop a decent audio system in it.

#2 pick - Acura NSX

Acura-nsx-21.jpg

I'm kinda torn on this one. The first version is the best looking to me with it's black roof for all models, but the variant after it has more power. Either or, I've always wanted one. The difference between this and the 944 is purely visual. The NSX STILL makes heads turn. Even some of the most jaded exotic car heads smile at the NSX. The added bonus to this car is that it can be serviced at nearly any Honda dealership.

#3 - pick Lotus Esprit Turbo SE

dscn0020.jpg

I've loved this thing since the Peter Stevens redesign back in '87. Fast as ? and looks like it's moving when it's standing still. The problem with these is in maintenance. There's some pretty ? up issues that nearly every one of them has that needs to be done. Still, having one in my lil suburban subdivision driveway would be sweet as ? .

#4 pick - Porsche 928

Porche-928-Black-side.jpg

The 928 is a sore spot for most Porsche 911 enthusiasts. During it's production run, the 928 was Porsche's flat out fastest car. It could outrun a 911 (yes, even the 930/911 Turbo), could outperform it on a track, and just all around made it look silly. Only the Porsche 959 was faster at any point during the 928's production. I'd prefer a 90's S4, GT, or GTS.

Now... On a stretch, I've considered simply taking a car like a Fiero GT (86 or '87), finding a wrecked 88 and salvaging the suspension to throw in the other car, adding a 350TPI engine from a GTA/IROC or even an L98 from a Vette, and reworking the interior (8" subwoofer in the center console, new door panels and dash, etc).

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that acura...got damn
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    really dude? a ? 944/928?

whats that? 180hp?

really dude?

REALLY?

just go with the NSX, Elise or S2000.... should all be round 40,000..

i can get a ? 944t off cl right now for under 400.... them ? depreciated harder than the Boxsters. and they 6-12000

Bruh... The 944 Turbo S has 250hp (not the 944 Turbo, the Turbo "S"). Plus, Lindsey Racing can get me 300hp at the rear wheels or more if I want.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    All those cars u stated are out of ur price range especially if u want it as a track car. The 944 u should be able to find for cheap like jamel said but idk about it being a turbo model;the 928 is gunna ? ur pockets for sure. For 20k ur only gunna be able to be an nsx in not that great condition if ur lucky and i hear everytime u need something fix or some ? its like 1k.
    I think u'd be better off at looking at some other cars u can beat up on the track, like a s2000 or something
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • konceptjones
    Options

whats that? 180hp?

really dude?

REALLY?

i can get a ? 944t off cl right now for under 400.... them ? depreciated harder than the Boxsters. and they 6-12000

Bruh... The 944 Turbo S has 250hp (not the 944 Turbo, the Turbo "S"). Plus, Lindsey Racing can get me 300hp at the rear wheels or more if I want.

man... do you.

real talk.

i just dont think that a car where parts are expensive and hard to come by is a smart move.

and aint no way you getting one that still pulls them numbers. not unless it's from a collector.

go with a used Elise.

"I drive a Lotus"

say it. see how it feels...

"I drive a Lotus"

sound good dont it?

IMO, the Esprit looks far better than the Elise. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • konceptjones
    Options

whats that? 180hp?

really dude?

REALLY?

man... do you.

real talk.

i just dont think that a car where parts are expensive and hard to come by is a smart move.

and aint no way you getting one that still pulls them numbers. not unless it's from a collector.

go with a used Elise.

"I drive a Lotus"

say it. see how it feels...

"I drive a Lotus"

sound good dont it?

IMO, the Esprit looks far better than the Elise. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better.

no doubt.

and.... it's a Bond car.

told you, you'd like the way it sounds.

Look at the list again, the Peter Stevens version of the Lotus Esprit is one of my favorite cars of all time. The problem is in maintenance on those things. Clutch, steering rack, and assorted other issues makes owning one not very attractive... But DAMMIT if that thing wouldn't look good at the crib.
  • konceptjones
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    All those cars u stated are out of ur price range especially if u want it as a track car. The 944 u should be able to find for cheap like jamel said but idk about it being a turbo model;the 928 is gunna ? ur pockets for sure. For 20k ur only gunna be able to be an nsx in not that great condition if ur lucky and i hear everytime u need something fix or some ? its like 1k.
    I think u'd be better off at looking at some other cars u can beat up on the track, like a s2000 or something

I can catch a 928 S4 for around 20K, a GTS might push close to 30K but you never know what you find out there. I've seen NSX's for $20K a lot, and a Lotus Esprit at that price point is definitely doable.

The only sports car I'm seeing from Honda is the NSX. S2000's are everywhere and they're all riced out to hell.
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So um....what type of track you talking about? Will this be a street/weekend car too?
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I tell people all the time i have a sports car (03 marauder)
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I remember those NSX's them ? were tough back in the day and the Porsche. My homeboy had that Porsche, his pops was pushing mad weight, his sister drove a Vette, and we were in high school at the time
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Doubletee wrote: »
    I tell people all the time i have a sports car (03 marauder)

Not a sports car...
  • rooster_cogburn
    rooster_cogburn Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    more like a high performance full-size.

or more muscle car than a sports car.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Forgot one car too.

#5 - C5 Corvette

97-corvette-5.jpg

I know one poster that may not agree with this, but the C5, to me, is the best looking Vette in the last 30 years. I don't care for the C6's hard lines at all and pop-up headlights >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd cop one of these, and I'm not really a 'vette fan but I make an exception for the C5. Problem is that there's a shitload of them on the streets right now.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Forgot one car too.

#5 - C5 Corvette

97-corvette-5.jpg

I know one poster that may not agree with this, but the C5, to me, is the best looking Vette in the last 30 years. I don't care for the C6's hard lines at all and pop-up headlights >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd cop one of these, and I'm not really a 'vette fan but I make an exception for the C5. Problem is that there's a shitload of them on the streets right now.

Please don't get one of these. Everyone and their momma has one. Get either that Acura NSX or the Lotus Espirit. What's the most you want to pay for a car?
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Forgot one car too.

#5 - C5 Corvette

97-corvette-5.jpg

Please don't get one of these. Everyone and their momma has one. Get either that Acura NSX or the Lotus Espirit. What's the most you want to pay for a car?

That's what I was saying: There's a shitload of 'em on the streets. That's my one apprehension to copping one.

• wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @konceptjones Look at some 03/04 Cobras, you can have a real 600hp car for 16-19k. And they handle well too with the IRS. You'd be able to beat 98% of the cars you come across on the street.
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    might as well get a sportbike
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • konceptjones
    Options
    abn562 wrote: »
    so let me get this right? you want cars that are literally 20 years old with the execption of the nsx, barely lol...not only that but parts are gonna be expensive and labor is gonna be a ? , you say Lindsey racing can get you 300 to the rear, so I have to ask you, is your point of a sports car wanting to be fast? or do you want the style? cause you can have both, but it depends what you think is better in your view..
    No Solstice? Saturn Sky? S2000?
    copy.jpg
    25724000004_large.jpg
    1052401422_K3ae9-L.jpg

If I get a 944 Turbo, I'm going to want it to be faster, that's all. I can do the engine work myself, I just need the parts.

The Solstice is ass ugly. I've NEVER liked that thing. The Saturn is aiight, and the Honda, while ok is over populated on the streets and I rarely see one that's NOT riced to death.

That said, if all I wanted was a fast modded car, I could just find an old Dodge Shadow ES Turbo, Daytona Turbo, or a Chrysler Lebaron GTC and mod the engine to pull high 10's/low 11 second 1/4's out of it. There's a gang of cars I can mod into the 12 second range. I can take a 4cyl Fox body Mustang, yank the engine and drop a 2.3L turbo from a Thunderbird Turbo in it, work it over and pull 400hp out at the wheels.

... But that's not the point.

Black Samson touched on it earlier in this thread:

"I drive a Porsche/Lotus/NSX"

vs

"I drive a Saturn/Honda"

Let that simmer in your brain for a bit. The water cooler talk at the office sounds a bit different when you say "... Yeah, the wife and I drove the Porsche to the lake this weekend...". Replace it with "Saturn" or some other pedestrian sports car and the ? just sounds... generic.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to be clear do u want a car u drive on the weekends and sometimes auto X or do u want a car thats just gunna be for the track?
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    to be clear do u want a car u drive on the weekends and sometimes auto X or do u want a car thats just gunna be for the track?

Weekends, once a month or so on a Friday to the office, date night with the missus, and perhaps a few laps around a track.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    so let me get this right? you want cars that are literally 20 years old with the execption of the nsx, barely lol...not only that but parts are gonna be expensive and labor is gonna be a ? , you say Lindsey racing can get you 300 to the rear, so I have to ask you, is your point of a sports car wanting to be fast? or do you want the style? cause you can have both, but it depends what you think is better in your view..
    No Solstice? Saturn Sky? S2000?
    copy.jpg
    25724000004_large.jpg
    1052401422_K3ae9-L.jpg

If I get a 944 Turbo, I'm going to want it to be faster, that's all. I can do the engine work myself, I just need the parts.

The Solstice is ass ugly. I've NEVER liked that thing. The Saturn is aiight, and the Honda, while ok is over populated on the streets and I rarely see one that's NOT riced to death.

That said, if all I wanted was a fast modded car, I could just find an old Dodge Shadow ES Turbo, Daytona Turbo, or a Chrysler Lebaron GTC and mod the engine to pull high 10's/low 11 second 1/4's out of it. There's a gang of cars I can mod into the 12 second range. I can take a 4cyl Fox body Mustang, yank the engine and drop a 2.3L turbo from a Thunderbird Turbo in it, work it over and pull 400hp out at the wheels.

... But that's not the point.

Black Samson touched on it earlier in this thread:

"I drive a Porsche/Lotus/NSX"

vs

"I drive a Saturn/Honda"

Let that simmer in your brain for a bit. The water cooler talk at the office sounds a bit different when you say "... Yeah, the wife and I drove the Porsche to the lake this weekend...". Replace it with "Saturn" or some other pedestrian sports car and the ? just sounds... generic.

call it what you want ? , I don't see it as "oh I drive a Porsche" I can care less, especially when that ? comes with the tax of fixing the car when it comes to, I tell people I drive a Pontiac solstice, their first reaction is "Wtf is that", I show em and they think im balling like I own a Ferrari, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all the people that seen my ? seem to like it, and fo sho it makes me feel good about myself, looking like I own a 40,000 dollar car when in reality its less than 20k, its preference, I got the style and punch to back it up....and even if you say "oh I drive a Saturn" if they look at the car they don't even know its a damn Saturn, but whatevers your posion, you can own old project cars to go fast, but I wouldn't want my ? rattling down the street like some 10second civics ive seen lol

If you don't know, you just don't know. No one I know sees a Solstice as anything other than a Solstice. If you're really young, then yeah you might not know about it so I can see that happening.

If you're not mechanically inclined, then fixing a car is a tax. I have no problem doing the work on my cars. And speaking of fixing the car, good luck with that Solstice. Pontiac and Saturn are both gone, the Kappa platform and it's mechanical bits were sold off to a Spanish company, so getting parts for that car is going to be a pain in the ass in the near future.