McNabb to retire an Eagle in September..HOF or FOH

Options
SleepwalkingInJapan
SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
Although he had a messy exit from Philadelphia in 2010, Donovan McNabb said Monday he intends to retire as an Eagle in September.

Donovan McNabb led the Eagles to four NFC Championship Game appearances and a Super Bowl appearance and holds several franchise passing records.

"I will retire as an Eagle and I look forward to that opportunity and that day," the quarterback told ESPN Radio 97.7 FM in Syracuse.

He later said on his NBC Sports Radio show that the team has suggested he return to Philadelphia to make his retirement announcement on Sept. 19 when his former coach, Andy Reid, leads the Kansas City Chiefs against the Eagles in a Thursday night game.

An Eagles spokesman would neither confirm nor deny McNabb's plans when contacted by the Philadelphia media outlets.

McNabb went 92-49-1 with the Eagles and holds the franchise records for completions (2801), passing yards (32,873) and passing touchdowns (216).

McNabb led the Eagles to four NFC Championship Game appearances and Super Bowl XXXIX, where Philadelphia fell to the New England Patriots.
His time with the team ended unceremoniously, however, when he was traded to the Washington Redskins before the 2010 season.

He said he holds no animosity toward the majority of Eagles fans, who he said supported him during his time in Philadelphia.

"I have nothing but love for the Philly fans, even the ones who were highly criticizing me or opinionated in any way," he told ESPN 97.7 FM. "I can't get upset at them because my job is to get out on the field and be productive. That's what quarterbacking is all about."

McNabb, 36, last played in 2011, appearing in six games for the Minnesota Vikings before being released and sitting out the rest of that season after failing to find another NFL employer. He attempted to hook on with a team before last season but again went unsigned.

He finishes his career 17th on the NFL's career passing list with 37,276 yards and 22nd in touchdowns with 234.

As for whether he one day will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, McNabb said he never played for the "individual accolades."

"If I'm rewarded by getting in the Hall of Fame, hey that's great. But to me it's like graduation. You step across the stage and say you know what, I made it, and I'm happy for it," he said.

McNabb to retire an Eagle in September..HOF or FOH 73 votes

HOF
64%
buttuh_bsouthsil4lilgoodlookinoutplaymaker885th Letterinfamous114Got Em ShookthemadlionsfanCopperHustleThaDongman82peagle05CJdamobb2deepspit_fiyaCoolJoeMr.LVThe Lonious MonkL.O.S.T.iron man1 47 votes
FOH
35%
will grimeyjayhi22texas409lord nemesisthe ghostjoeyfkncrakkbow to royaltyTheBossmanSerious Juice MayneCutler 26 INT's LOL!unspoken_respectPanchoYoSanchoSwiffness!OuncemanWill MunnyIbexlamontbdcnujerz84BDBIIDthegreatunknown 26 votes

Comments

• evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    Easy hall of fame...if you think otherwise you're tripping.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    He has done more for that franchise than anybody else that's for damn sure.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    McNabb WAS the Eagles.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    Not even a question
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    Top 5 QB through most of the 2000s
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    Hof but he will lose some hairline waiting.
  • SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    HOF
    Not first ballot though
    it depends....this is the ray lewis class

mcnabbs on par with him id say
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    HOF, this shouldn't even be a question. That said, his case would have looked a lot stronger if he just retired when leaving Philly instead of going to DC and Minny looking flabby and sick.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    Not first ballot though
    it depends....this is the ray lewis class

mcnabbs on par with him id say

Not in terms of position rank. Ray Lewis is a top 5 LB of all time, McNabb isn't close to that...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    HOF
    He'll probably get snubbed but he'll eventually get in.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    HOF
    The article said 4 NFC championship game appearances I thought it was 5?

2001 lost to the Rams
    2002 lost to the Bucs
    2003 lost to the Panthers
    2004 beat the Falcons
    2008 lost to the Cardinals
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    You already kno
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FOH
    i think mcmabb will be in the HOF one day, but the perception is he was a qb that never got the job down. no hof now, maybe like 20 years from now maybe....

*votes FOH thinking back the pain this ? gave me from 2003-2005 in the playoffs. *
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FOH
    No Rings? ... Who gives a ? about 30 thousands passing yards. If that's the case romo will be getting in without a ring his numbers BETTER
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    Hopefully he gets the nod. NFL hall of fame voters are tricky though.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FOH
    FOH. Bounce Pass McNabb doesn't deserve it.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FOH
    i think he's borderline but wasn't a option for that
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if jim Kelly's cracca ass is in then Donovan should be a lock

I don't remember none on u ? ass ? protesting Kelly's HOF ceremony
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    HOF ...and that's just based off the amazing gifs he's blessed us with
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    Since when is winning a lot of games pro bowls Superbowl birth countless playoff wins is not a HOFer
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF
    man look... i know namath got a ring but gotdamn it if HE'S in...