Top WR out of PA gives up football for rap career...

Options
SupremeXXV
SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
Just came across an article on this kid Jay Harris. A 5-foot-11, 170 pound WR out of Pennsylvania. He's one of the top prospects coming out of the state and until last month, he was on his way to Michigan State on a football scholarship, but instead he gave up football to pursue a career in rap. He released his first single "DatBull 4 Life" (which surpassed 50,000 views over the weekend) and plans to work with professional producer M. Stacks, who has worked with Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. Here's the video

http://youtu.be/rQTgeCyrtYM

What ya' think? Stupid move or does he have a future in rap?

Comments

• Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His rap name is stupid, he'll never make it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stupid.

If he was really good, he could have used his Football career to finance and promote his rap career.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Sad.

Edit: watched some of video...

nah not sad. He just dumb.

• d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I'm so cool because i smoke weed and blow it through my nose and talk about hoes.

WTF is wrong with this guy and dudes like him? There's no hope for most of these ignorant dudes today.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As ? as it sounds, I'm going to assume this is the REAL issue...

1. He's dumb (academically and overall)

2. He's a weed head.

3. In typical ? fashion, he saw other young dumb ? get signed off this same type of drivel (Chief Keef, Wocka) and figured it was "easy" because he's equally ? as those nikkas.

I guess he figured he would get kicked off the team as soon as they drug tested him or found him "baking" and/or he would struggle with staying academically eligible.

So instead of man'ing-up, chillin on the weed for a minute and applying himself, he figured a long shot at a rap career was "easier" than a easy shot at a free education that could benefit him for a lifetime.

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    This is GOAT level stupidity..

even being a wack ass rapper has.. "occupational hazards"

In two weeks "promising rapper".. Jay Harris has been killed in a chicken shack eating a beef patty.. word on the street.. he had beef.

only got to :47 seconds

his parents.. guardians... ? friends should be bitchslapped..
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

2. He's a weed head.

3. In typical ? fashion, he saw other young dumb ? get signed off this same type of drivel (Chief Keef, Wocka) and figured it was "easy" because he's equally ? as those nikkas.

I guess he figured he would get kicked off the team as soon as they drug tested him or found him "baking" and/or he would struggle with staying academically eligible.

So instead of man'ing-up, chillin on the weed for a minute and applying himself, he figured a long shot at a rap career was "easier" than a easy shot at a free education that could benefit him for a lifetime.

He figured it was easy to rap then to work physically hard at football. He could just do both, get a education and after that pursue something else, but he's lazy.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who says you cant do both? ? if you make it to the NFL you can have better connections with people in the music industry. This is some ? Bias ? right here.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And this is sad
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he ain't stupid follow your dreams college isn't for everybody and maybe he doesn't love football..i tell my kids this everyday....your life is your life and not what others want it to be..ppl always call you stupid when you don't do what they want you to do or what is perceived to be the right thing
  • Alpha_Ambition
    Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow this ? will def be on E:60 or 30 for 30
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michigan State strips local star's scholarship after explicit rap video
    POSTED: Tuesday, May 14, 2013, 3:47 PM
    Matt Breen, Inquirer Staff Writer

Jay Harris, one of the area’s top football recruits, was stripped of his scholarship by Michigan State earlier this month after he posted a series of profanity-laced rap videos on YouTube, a source said Tuesday.

Under the name “Jay DatBull,” the Downingtown East senior has uploaded nine videos to YouTube. Using explicit lyrics, Harris raps about drugs, women, and homosexuals.

His first single, “DatBull 4 Life,” surpassed 50,000 views over the weekend and appears to show Harris smoking marijuana while sitting behind the steering wheel of a car.

JH.jpg
    Downingtown East wide receiver Jay Harris warms up before a 2012 scrimmage. (LOU RABITO / Staff)

Harris, a senior wide receiver, said he freely chose a rap career over football. A Michigan State spokesman said it was “a mutual decision.”

“I’ve always had this in the back of my head, but never had the courage to tell my parents that this is what I want to do,” Harris said.

The 5-foot-11, 162-pounder is ranked by ESPN as the state’s 17th-ranked senior and second-best wideout. He scored 13 touchdowns last season on 54 catches for 792 yards. He signed a binding letter of intent in February to attend Michigan State.

Harris said he decided to forego football about a week before the video debuted. He knew people would watch it, Harris said, but not so many in such a short time.

An album is slated for a June 1 release, and Harris said he plans to work with professional producer M. Stacks this summer.

M. Stacks has worked with popular rappers Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller.

“I try to take advantage of every opportunity I get, and for him to like my music and reach out to me, I really appreciated that,” Harris said.

Harris said his commitment to Michigan State last year was “halfhearted.” He said he first flirted with a career in music during his freshman year at Downingtown East.

He said he called Michigan State quarterbacks coach Brad Salem two weeks ago and told him of his decision.
    Salem recruited Harris and swayed him to sign with the Spartans instead of offers from Old Dominion and Temple.
    Penn State was reported to have interest, as well.

Harris originally was named to play in this summer’s Big 33 all-star football game, but his name was removed recently from the roster.

Contact Matt Breen at mbreen@phillynews.com and @matt_breen on Twitter.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/rally/Jay-Harris-says-no-to-Michigan-State-decides-to-become-a-rapper-football.html
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh at this. .. where his parents at? He should have no choice and get put out da house with this foolishness
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Smh at this. .. where his parents at? He should have no choice and get put out da house with this foolishness
    yeah, where is his parent at?
    no way they could of allowed this ? to happen. you pass up free education for a rap career you have 8%(my own guess) chance of getting famous?
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheBossman wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    yeah, where is his parent at?
    no way they could of allowed this ? to happen. you pass up free education for a rap career you have 8%(my own guess) chance of getting famous?

I don't know what the % it would be, but it would be far less than 8%

Which makes this even worse. (his decision)
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »

2. He's a weed head.

He figured it was easy to rap then to work physically hard at football. He could just do both, get a education and after that pursue something else, but he's lazy.

Then he would've failed at both.

Even the wackest rapper is at least ambitious and driven.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The odds of making a living in the NFL is just as much as the rap game.

• greenwood1921
    edited May 2013
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Michigan State strips local star's scholarship after explicit rap video
    POSTED: Tuesday, May 14, 2013, 3:47 PM
    Matt Breen, Inquirer Staff Writer

Jay Harris, one of the area’s top football recruits, was stripped of his scholarship by Michigan State earlier this month after he posted a series of profanity-laced rap videos on YouTube, a source said Tuesday.

Under the name “Jay DatBull,” the Downingtown East senior has uploaded nine videos to YouTube. Using explicit lyrics, Harris raps about drugs, women, and homosexuals.

His first single, “DatBull 4 Life,” surpassed 50,000 views over the weekend and appears to show Harris smoking marijuana while sitting behind the steering wheel of a car.

JH.jpg
    Downingtown East wide receiver Jay Harris warms up before a 2012 scrimmage. (LOU RABITO / Staff)

Harris, a senior wide receiver, said he freely chose a rap career over football. A Michigan State spokesman said it was “a mutual decision.”

“I’ve always had this in the back of my head, but never had the courage to tell my parents that this is what I want to do,” Harris said.

The 5-foot-11, 162-pounder is ranked by ESPN as the state’s 17th-ranked senior and second-best wideout. He scored 13 touchdowns last season on 54 catches for 792 yards. He signed a binding letter of intent in February to attend Michigan State.

Harris said he decided to forego football about a week before the video debuted. He knew people would watch it, Harris said, but not so many in such a short time.

An album is slated for a June 1 release, and Harris said he plans to work with professional producer M. Stacks this summer.

M. Stacks has worked with popular rappers Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller.

“I try to take advantage of every opportunity I get, and for him to like my music and reach out to me, I really appreciated that,” Harris said.

Harris said his commitment to Michigan State last year was “halfhearted.” He said he first flirted with a career in music during his freshman year at Downingtown East.

He said he called Michigan State quarterbacks coach Brad Salem two weeks ago and told him of his decision.
    Salem recruited Harris and swayed him to sign with the Spartans instead of offers from Old Dominion and Temple.
    Penn State was reported to have interest, as well.

Harris originally was named to play in this summer’s Big 33 all-star football game, but his name was removed recently from the roster.

Contact Matt Breen at mbreen@phillynews.com and @matt_breen on Twitter.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/rally/Jay-Harris-says-no-to-Michigan-State-decides-to-become-a-rapper-football.html

Like I figured.

He got Josh Jarboe'd. lmao. Did the same thing 4-years ago @ OU made a lame rap youtube vid and Stoops deaded his schollie instantaneously and expeditiously. lol

Shouts out to this year's top 5 pick Lane Johnson @ the :44 mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvzWhlX9TKs

• greenwood1921
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

True, but he didn't just give up a "small chance at the NFL" he gave up a 100% chance at a full scholly and playing D-1 football. An opportunity and experience that few people get.
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Getting his degree should have been the main objective..getting drafted would have been a bonus
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stupid, music is not guaranteed money especially in this age. A low grade NFL contract>>>>>>what the average rapper makes in 5-10 years.