• kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    Zombies don't run or Growl....

just sayin....

on dead island they do.....

but i wish naughty dog would create a new Crash bandicoot and Jack and daxter ... .with UC3-like graphics
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    maybe they r jus infected humans like in res evil 4...

wen zombies start gettin old, i guess thats the only alternative.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    lol...good point.

saw ppl talkin bout zombies tho...

think i saw 1 in that trailer tho...

but dint silent hill have a daughter + father connection also ?...hmmm.

Ummm as playable characters that are the focal point of the game.Never been done before.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I wrote it off like Dead Island until someone said Naughty Dog is making it. Gotta ? with it off the strength now...
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    "Storytelling is so poor right now," claims creative director.

Naughty Dog has delivered a scathing verdict on the "poor" standard of storytelling in video games, revealing its aim to "change the f***ing industry" with upcoming PlayStation 3-exclusive The Last of Us.
    Speaking at the studio's offices in Santa Monica on Monday, creative director and writer Neil Druckmann told Eurogamer his team wanted to "raise the bar" in order to make other game developers realise: "Okay, I really need to learn the craft of storytelling, I really need to involve my actors in this in order to get realistic performances and realistic actors. That's what we want to do."

He also argued that reviewers were too quick to praise average storytelling, which could hold back the medium's development.

"We try so hard at Naughty Dog to push things," he said. "And then games come out that are fun and exciting and get visceral things right, but to read in reviews that they have an amazing story is disheartening to us because we work so hard at it.

"As critics we need to raise the bar, otherwise no-one's going to change. We're going to keep pushing ourselves, and ? ourselves to make this story happen - but hope that by doing it, the rest of the industry is going to take notice and try to do the same thing."

Elaborating on where other games went wrong, Druckmann, previously lead designer and co-writer on Uncharted 2, told Eurogamer: "We mistake quantity for quality. We don't focus on characters, we focus on monsters or [the] gruesome."

So what is The Last of Us about? "This is going to sound corny, and it might not appeal to gamers, but I would say it's a love story," said Druckmann. "It's not a romantic love story, it's a love story about a father-daughter-like relationship.

"We approached this genre because we felt no-one is getting to the heart of it. It tells you something about the human condition - that's what you want to do as a storyteller.

"We're not saying every game needs a strong, compelling and dramatic story, but if you are going to make a narrative-based game then you better learn the craft."

Game director Bruce Straley, who held the same role on Uncharted 2, added: "It's not just a zombie game. It's going to be a completely amazing experience that no player has experienced for this genre, the characters, the development, everything."

Neither Sony nor Naughty Dog has yet committed to a release date for the game.
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Good ? to Naughty Dog to trying to set the benchmark. I agree that reviewers are too quick to say that a game has grat story telling.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    sounds a lot like the talk when Heavy Rain was announced. I predict they WILL indeed change the ? industry.
  • MysticBoy
    MysticBoy Members Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Will Smith is in there somewhere.
    You unlock him when you beat the game on very hard mode.
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i wait til the gameplay videos and ? to judge
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another over rated game by Naughty Dog

Big whoop
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    take my money now
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still waitin on some gameplay.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • joshuaboy
    Options
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like they just aged the Nathan Drake character about 10 to 15 years.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ellen Paige not doing the voice acting?
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ellen Paige not doing the voice acting?
    She never was. Plus they made the girl not look her anymore in the new trailer.
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    The Last of Us Sure as Hell Isn't Uncharted

Cursing, terror and throat slashing sets Naughty Dog's latest apart.

It starts right after the ambush cutscene. In the smoking and totaled truck, Ellie tells Joel she's OK, and the passenger door flies open. A crazed attacker is on the young girl -- groping, grabbing and pulling. Ellie's clawing and screaming, Joel reaches for her, and another attacker throws open the driver's door and yanks Joel out. They tussle through a pane of glass, and the attacker holds Joel's head above a triangular piece of shattered weaponry.

The camera's tight here -- anchored with Joel's struggling head on the left side of the screen -- when the Square button pops up on the right. It's a patented struggle scene from developer Naughty Dog; the kind of stuff we've seen in so many Uncharted games before. The player taps the button over and over and Joel (the character we play as) raises his head. He's going to get out of it and save the day like Nathan Drake.

But in the final moment of the fight, Joel struggles to look over his right shoulder at the attacker, and there's this rage and desperation in his eye -- the vein's visible, his teeth are gritted. Joel breaks free, grabs the attacker's head and slams it into the triangle of glass. It enters at about the the Adam's apple, and the attacker rolls off the glass with a sickening wheeze and clutches the gaping, ? hole in his throat. He collapses.

The Last of Us isn't Uncharted -- no matter how similar the button prompts look in this early build. And that's the thing: with a passing glance, you could make the case that this does look like Uncharted. Both are beautiful third-person action titles, the ammo icons are similar, and there's a moment where Joel lifts a gate for Ellie that seems pulled from Uncharted 3. But watching the game, that's where the argument falls apart.

After the impromptu tracheotomy, Joel shoots some bad guys from cover, slams one guy's face into the store counter, gets a 2x4 and gruesomely caves in another foe's skull. All this happens over time, of course. Joel moves from cover to cover and blows through his limited ammo in a flash. Throughout it all, there's blood and curses words.

The action is moving with the same fluidity of Uncharted and the polish Naughty Dog is known for, but it's devoid of the happy action. Joel and Ellie spend the next few minutes of the level sneaking around and stealth killing enemies, but there's no humor to it.

When Nathan Drake gets the drop on a pirate, he snaps the foe's neck in one cheery move -- usually with a one-liner tossed in. When Joel puts an unsuspecting attacker in a sleeper hold, the camera comes in tight, and they struggle. The man swings wildly at Joel, and Joel leans in to slowly suffocate the enemy. It's not quick. It's deliberate, upsetting.

That's what Naughty Dog said it's going for with The Last of Us. The team wants us to share the emotions of Joel and Ellie, and from the brief demo I saw -- filled with scavenging for bullets, a segmented health bar, and other humans being a larger threat than any monster -- it's working in a way Uncharted never did.

• CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might buy this game

Looks better than Uncharted and the story is more my taste
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Another over rated game by Naughty Dog

Big whoop

cereal-guy.jpg