Did Nas really take his Illmatic cover idea from this album?

Options
D_Rap_Scholar
D_Rap_Scholar Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in The Reason
Not a hot topic at all, but for those hip hop heads who love diggin the crates, I came across a blog that suggested that Nas got the idea for the ILLMATIC cover art from this obscure jazz band known as Howard Hanger Trio.

Illmatic (1994)

nas-illmatic.jpg

A Child Is Born (1974)

DSCF2890.JPG

Did Nas really take this idea from another album? Or is it just a strange coincidence? As far as I know, Nas has never mentioned Howard Hanger Trio. But I find it ironic that one of hip-hop's most original covers, might have actually been inspired by another album. Not all that surprising, when you consider that Nas' dad was a jazz musician. Thoughts?

EDIT: Shout out to Sion for being the first poster to bring this to the IC. . Like the ? says, "No Idea's Original, There's Nothing New Under the Sun"

Comments

• Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very Possible Given his Father Nas was most likely at the least exposed to it growing up and could have done so Consciously or Sub Consciously...
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems plausible.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    You just answered your own question.

/thread.
    Not a hot topic at all, but for those hip hop heads who love diggin the crates, I came across a blog that suggested that Nas got the idea for the ILLMATIC cover art from this obscure jazz band known as Howard Hanger Trio.

Illmatic (1994)

nas-illmatic.jpg

A Child Is Born (1974)

DSCF2890.JPG

Did Nas really take this idea from another album? Or is it just a strange coincidence? As far as I know, Nas has never mentioned Howard Hanger Trio. But I find it ironic that one of hip-hop's most original covers, might have actually been inspired by another album. Not all that surprising, when you consider that Nas' dad was a jazz musician. Thoughts?

No idea's original, there's nothin' new under the sun it's never what you do, but how it's done...

I should just close the thread with this but Ill let you get your GOATS lol
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas already told you that no idea was original. With his dad being a musician it looks highly likely.
    This isn't a loss and it shows that inspiration can be found in anything. Inspiration should be applauded not frowned upon.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    When no idea is original quit hanging other rappers not named Nas for also being unoriginal. Anyhow im cool with it, and Im sure 98% of us didnt even know about this.
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good drop. Certainly possible Nas got the idea from this cover - either way both are ill
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's dope. Yeah he obviously took the concept.
    I think it shows his deep dedication to the Jazz artform too, I never heard of the band with the cover originally.
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Not hating on Nas. I think it's cool how eerily similar these covers are, especially if Nas might've come across it as a child and couldn't remember it. I can picture Nas as a toddler, playing with his father's vinyl collection and coming across ? like this....and then 15 years later, something lights up in his head, and he subconsiously remembers it. That would be an awesome coincidence!

On the other hand, in 19 years, you would think someone would've pointed this out to him by now....and as far as I know, Nas has yet to give these dudes their props. It's one thing when you pay tribute to a band/artists that is well-known and familiar - but when its an obscure group beneath the radar, I feel your obligated to acknowledge them officially, so that your fans will be properly informed. Just think about it. If Nas had mentioned this ? back in 1995 - maybe Ghostface would not have called out Biggie for "biting" lol

In any case, Illmatic is one of the most widely imitated/remixed rap album covers of all time. And the fact that it itself may not be entirely original, kinda reinforces Nas' own idea: "No Idea's Original"
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ghost and Rae probably feel different about that Shark ? skit by now
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    Ghost and Rae probably feel different about that Shark ? skit by now

No kidding, those dudes took a serious L for that. If they know about this, Ghost and Rake should issue an apology to Biggie's fans....it's only fair
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Both Ghost and Rae have stated that they regret "Shark Biters (N!ggas)" and that it was only a competition thing and they both personally apologized to Biggie before his death. Supposedly Method man and Ol ? got them to squash their issues with Biggie since he was cool with everyone else in the Wu. They even did a "? Bleed (Three Bricks Remix)":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CClZTxwUzjE
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    Options
    Both Ghost and Rae have stated that they regret "Shark Biters (N!ggas)" and that it was only a competition thing and they both personally apologized to Biggie before his death. Supposedly Method man and Ol ? got them to squash their issues with Biggie since he was cool with everyone else in the Wu. They even did a "? Bleed (Three Bricks Remix)":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CClZTxwUzjE

I'm glad to hear that. But that whole time, they must have really been under the impression that Biggie truly did take inspiration from Illmatic...and who can blame him, it was a dope concept and he ran with it. But if you're gonna take shots at someone for that, you better have done your research first! LOL I'm glad those dudes apologized to Biggie before he died...but now they should do what all publications do whenever a journalist publicizes wrong information: recant their statement and correct themselves.

Just my 2 cents^^
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas not the only one that's done this, a lot of people have done albums covers, covers. Korrupt bit a Marvin Gaye album cover, in other words "Illmatic" a dope ass album
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How do y'all know the Musician Nas bit didn't bite??

I mean.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Awesome find, i never knew of this but if he did bite the cover he did an execptional nod.What about all of Jay Z biting. ? a album cover how many rhymes have Nas bitten. None that I can remember but Jay Z steals flows and lyrics from all ? . On that 100 bill and dream song he rappin like 2 chains talking about poppin mollies. Jay z didn't mention mollies on rd but ? gonna overlook his ? because he eating Marques Houston leftovers.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The way I see it this isn't biting. This is Hip Hop. Hip Hop has drawn inspiration from Jazz, Blues, R&B, Dance Hall and other forms of Music from the get go. So, all Nas did was dig in the crates and find a Gem. What we should do now is actually listen to the original album.

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    The way I see it this isn't biting. This is Hip Hop. Hip Hop has drawn inspiration from Jazz, Blues, R&B, Dance Hall and other forms of Music from the get go. So, all Nas did was dig in the crates and find a Gem. What we should do now is actually listen to the original album.
    You know I'm already on it, as soon as I get to the crib lol

• HYPER_VERBAL
    HYPER_VERBAL Members Posts: 31
    Options

Brother Hassan

The Crib is Crazy right now
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    Options

Cosign^^

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/A+Child+Is+Born/6572010

Oh word, you might have the vinyl? ? 's pretty rare lol
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cosign^^

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/A+Child+Is+Born/6572010

Oh word, you might have the vinyl? ? 's pretty rare lol

Thanks for the link. Fly ish going down right now.