Urlacher retiring after 13 seasons HOF or FOH?

Options
SleepwalkingInJapan
SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
Brian Urlacher announced his retirement from the NFL after 13 seasons Wednesday on his official Twitter account, ending what many believe was a Hall of Fame career as an iconic Chicago Bears linebacker.

"After spending a lot of time this spring thinking about my NFL future, I have made a decision to retire," Urlacher said in a statement he posted on Twitter. "Although I could continue playing, I'm not sure I would bring a level of performance or passion that's up to my standards. When considering this along with the fact I could retire after a 13-year career wearing only one jersey for such a storied franchise, my decision became pretty clear."

The Bears parted ways with Urlacher after last season when the two sides couldn't agree on a new contract. Urlacher became a free agent and had said he still had some football left, but he chose to retire after briefly testing the free-agent market.

"I want to thank all of the people in my life that have helped me along the way," Urlacher said. "I will miss my teammates, my coaches, and the great Bears fans. I'm proud to say that I gave all of you everything I had every time I took the field. I will miss this great game, but I leave it with no regret."

Urlacher told "The Dan Patrick Show" that there is no chance he will change his mind and play again.

"There's no scenario or amount of money that could bring me back," Urlacher said. "... I'm very happy with my decision. I'm 100 percent solid on this. I'm tired of working out. As old as I am and as much as my body is sore right now, I'm tired of working out."

Urlacher was the NFL defensive player of the year in 2005 and an eight-time Pro Bowler. He leaves as the Bears' franchise leader in tackles (1,779), having started 180 games for the club from 2000-12. Urlacher is one of four players to post 40 or more sacks and 20 or more interceptions since 1982, when sacks became an official NFL statistic.

Urlacher's 22 interceptions ranked as third-most among linebackers since 2000, and his 16 fumble recoveries ranked No. 2 behind former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis (19).

Urlacher retiring after 13 seasons HOF or FOH? 72 votes

HOF
88%
Bender Rodriguezlion_heartwill grimeybuttuh_bfunkdocdamcAlpha_Ambition A.J. Trillzynskijayhi225th LetterCP203infamous114aneed123KNiGHTSking hassanHustleThaDoncobblandCJCutler 26 INT's LOL!unspoken_respectCoolJoe 64 votes
FOH
11%
spit_fiyaSerious Juice MaynePanchoYoSanchoIdiopathic JokerIamtheVILLEpurpngoldKamPushMeCottonCitySlim 8 votes

Comments