I'm not a big NBA fan, so I'm wondering what other people see in it.

Options
bow to royalty
bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
My problem with the NBA is it's too predictable, and the game lacks competition at the very top. You have a really good chance of picking the champs before each season even begins. And the playoffs are filled with teams that have almost no chance of even making it to the finals (the 4-8 seeds). To me the appeal of sports is the competition. But in the NBA I don't really see competition. You got the Heat, then a bunch of teams on a tier below them.

So what I'm askin NBA fans is what's making you tune in? Is it 90% just watching Lebron play? Does the lack of parity and competition not bother you?

Comments

• ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tommy is about to light this thread up
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think some of the guys get lazy with all the money an dont learn proper fundamentals in college

think about it...how many guys actually go after a rebound? most of them wait for it to come to them.

how many just allow ? to drive the lane? ? sit back an hope the guy misses and the ball comes to them.

? is crazy....i only watch the playoffs because i assume they are the best teams...
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i don't care for the nba regular season. but i love the playoffs. even though you know that the final 8 teams left will most likely be the made up of 1-4 seeds, with maybe a few lower seeds sneaking in time to time, the games are still fairly excited, and the series' are entertaining and extremely competitive. alot of good storylines and mini-rivalries develop throughout the series too.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T/s wears a apron and bakes cookies
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nba has had some good playoffs the past 5 years
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love the adversarial competion of basketball... i guess you never liked basketball because its always has been like this..
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My problem with the NBA is it's too predictable, and the game lacks competition at the very top. You have a really good chance of picking the champs before each season even begins. And the playoffs are filled with teams that have almost no chance of even making it to the finals (the 4-8 seeds). To me the appeal of sports is the competition. But in the NBA I don't really see competition. You got the Heat, then a bunch of teams on a tier below them.

So what I'm askin NBA fans is what's making you tune in? Is it 90% just watching Lebron play? Does the lack of parity and competition not bother you?

That's solely because of how the playoffs are set up.

In ANY type of competition, it's rare for the better team to lose in a best of 7 series.

When it's single elimination, you have more chances for upsets. All you need is the favorite to have an off day.

If the NFL playoffs were best of 7 it'd have a lot less "parity".

• IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man im actually getting tired of the nba or basketball in general. all these touch fouls people cant talk ? . its being white washed and it saddens me. i used to be a die hard bball fan but all this finesse ? is making the game weak. what they need to do in not give these ? guaranteed contracts and then i promise you the game would be better.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love the Game. HS College NBA. I agree with you on the level of comp and predictability. They need to let H.S. ? skip college again. They need to cut garunteed contracts, hold refs accountable, and give coaches more power. The N.B.A. could learn a lot as a league from the N.F.L.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    A best of 7 usually ensures that the best team wins out. In Football teams can go from worst to first quicker due to how the league is set up. Where as in the NBA for the most part it takes time to put together the right mix of players to compete for championships. To me basketball is very exciting from the athleticism of the players in general.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »
    i don't care for the nba regular season. but i love the playoffs. even though you know that the final 8 teams left will most likely be the made up of 1-4 seeds, with maybe a few lower seeds sneaking in time to time, the games are still fairly excited, and the series' are entertaining and extremely competitive. alot of good storylines and mini-rivalries develop throughout the series too.

same here, regular season is ass ? aint even worth watching most of the time unless its one of those big line ups on Christmas
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man im actually getting tired of the nba or basketball in general. all these touch fouls people cant talk ? . its being white washed and it saddens me. i used to be a die hard bball fan but all this finesse ? is making the game weak. what they need to do in not give these ? guaranteed contracts and then i promise you the game would be better.

cs this too
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the NBA is a superstar driven league always has been....u gotta love basketball to love the NBA..
    simply b/c u think a certain team has an advantage doesn't mean the League is lacking...theirs a team/s or individual/s at the top of the food chain in every league
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    I'm at work so I'll keep this post short and add later. But I only halfway agree with the best of 7 vs single elimination game thing. It makes sense theoretically, but in reality look at the NFL playoffs. How often do you say a game was a complete fluke in the playoffs? There's true competition in the NFL so you can see most games going either way.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm at work so I'll keep this post short and add later. But I only halfway agree with the best of 7 vs single elimination game thing. It makes sense theoretically, but in reality look at the NFL playoffs. How often do you say a game was a complete fluke in the playoffs? There's true competition in the NFL so you can see most games going either way.

A lot actually...
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every year a team that ain't got no business winnin steal on some top seed.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    the NBA is a superstar driven league always has been....u gotta love basketball to love the NBA..
    simply b/c u think a certain team has an advantage doesn't mean the League is lacking...theirs a team/s or individual/s at the top of the food chain in every league

I disagree. Give me 2-3 guesses each year preseason on nba champs, and give you the same for Superbowl champs and you think we would be getting it right at the same rate?
  • bow to royalty
    Options

Who last year?
  • coop9889
    Options

Who last year?

Ravens against Broncos AND Pats
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Peyton losing in the playoffs isn't a fluke at this point. Neither is Ravens beating Pats in the playoffs. They were a dropped pass from doing it last year. Come on Greenwood. I've seen you talk football... you know better.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    thought it was greenwood., I'm on my phone. Coop i dunno if you know better
  • coop9889
    Options
    Lmao ? please

At the time, no one truly gave the Ravens a shot to get to the superbowl. They ended the season playing badly, losing 4 of their last 5 games.

The broncos entered the playoffs having won 11 straight and the Pats had won 9 of their last 10.

Quit with the revisionist history. The Ravens UPSET the Broncos, and UPSET the Pats.