The Sopranos Named The Best Show Ever Written

Options
themadlionsfan
themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Sopranos Named the Best Written Show Ever
Bada Bing!
by Lucy O'Brien JUNE 2, 2013

The Sopranos has topped the Writers Guild of America's 101 Best Written TV Shows, a list celebrating the most "classic, trailblazing" series and miniseries of all time.

Nipping at the mob drama's heels was Seinfeld, followed by The Twilight Zone at number 3, All in the Family at number 4, and M*A*S*H at number 5. You can view the list in its entirety here.

In his introduction to the list, writer Paul Brownfield notes that close to half of the 101 best written TV series aired within the last decade. "Not coincidentally," explains Brownfield, "this was a period that coincided with a sharp growth in original programming on both basic and pay cable television when writers were given more latitude to explore the moral complexities of the worlds they created."

Here's the top 10 for your perusal; let us know what you think of the Guild's selections in the comments section.

The Sopranos
Seinfeld
The Twilight Zone
All in the Family
M*A*S*H
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Mad Men
Cheers
The Wire
The West Wing

Comments

• kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never seen an episode of this...I've thought about downloading season 1 and watching it...but there's so many seasons that I keep talking myself outta of it...I mean is it really that good???

maybe after Breaking Bad ends I'll give this show a watch...but until then....
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is it really that good???

Yes.

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the list is ? .

maybe MASH but that was more comedy....

nothing is more realistic than the wire....overall more people can relate to the wire than the sopranos, MASH or even sienfeld where they had like three black people ever on it...in a major city like NYC.

this list is clearly whitewashed
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Wire, then Mad Men.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well deserved. One of my favorite shows
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    lol @ Cheers bein on that list.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i used to hate mash with a passion...that ? would always come on for like 2 hours right int he middle of good times or some ?

sopranos was the ? tho
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Simpsons should be higher. That classic era ? is like the Ready to Die of comedy. ? these old unfunny-ass white sitcoms that aren't half as funny as Cosby. smh @ #29. Then there's the black comedies they didn't include at all.....like, ALL OF THEM LOL.

Sanford & Son?

Fresh Prince?

Jeffersons?

Chappelle??????

holy ? i can't believe i actually considered arguing Pralims point about this list being whitewashed

and Dexter has about as much business being on a all-time list for writing as French Montana does.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would have put the Twilight Zone over the Sopranos if we're talking about best written.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    i used to hate mash with a passion...that ? would always come on for like 2 hours right int he middle of good times or some ?

sopranos was the ? tho

I hated mash too.... That ? stayed on Kate at ny grandmas house lol
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm downloading season 1 of The Sopranos now....I've been sleeping on this show for far 2 long lol
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Havent seen most of these shows but yea sopranos was my favourite
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where The ? Is Breaking Bad?...Hell Even Lost Wack Series Finale And All
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Sanford & Son?

If comedies like Seinfeld, All in the Family, M*A*S*H, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Cheers made the list.

sanford and son should be on there.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Wire at number 9? Foh
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seinfield was so boring. I could never watch that ? . I would have rather watched Frasier.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 90's Simpson's >>>> Half Them Shows
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best Show Ever Written...with the worst series ending ever imagined? lol
  • Will Munny
    Options
    yeah the series finale was a total copout by the writers of the show. It really can't be number one because of that. But it could still be the best series ever written about a fat ? that breathes loud.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've seen Sopranos but I didn't follow it, its okay, I'll watch it if nothing else is on. MASH is the WOAT, even the theme song is boring as ? .

I'm surprised one of those Law & Order series didn't make it, especially SVU which seems to be never-ending
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love The Wire also but Sopranos was a way better written show. Just the character development alone ? on the rest. Every character on there had a meaty role. I'm sure most of the bias to The Wire being a better show is due to it being based in the drug trade in Baltimore. Think about it, the whole premise is about the life and times of a mob boss in New Jersey and the whole series is not all about sitdowns and mob hits. It's real life situations. Depression, infidelity, Marital problems, suicide, abuse, I could go on.

There was no emotion in The Wire except in anger and bravado.

Can't base the quality of the show on the final episode. I found nothing wrong with it. The message I took from it was that life goes on even in stressful time(Maybe that Lennon/McCartney song would`ve been a better fit instead of that Journey song).
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love The Wire also but Sopranos was a way better written show. Just the character development alone ? on the rest. Every character on there had a meaty role. I'm sure most of the bias to The Wire being a better show is due to it being based in the drug trade in Baltimore. Think about it, the whole premise is about the life and times of a mob boss in New Jersey and the whole series is not all about sitdowns and mob hits. It's real life situations. Depression, infidelity, Marital problems, suicide, abuse, I could go on.

Can't base the quality of the show on the final episode. I found nothing wrong with it. The message I took from it was that life goes on even in stressful time(Maybe that Lennon/McCartney song would`ve been a better fit instead of that Journey song).

@the bolded...

when was the last time you was in the hood? is that not all you see other than smiles from kids?
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There was more emotion in season 4 of the wire than all 6 seasons of the sopranos
  • Will Munny
    Options
    yeah season 4 of the wire best season in any season of all other seasons of any other series
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There was more emotion in season 4 of the wire than all 6 seasons of the sopranos

Explain