George Karl Let Go.....Well Damn

Options
Alpha_Ambition
Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9348513/denver-nuggets-part-ways-coach-george-karl

Karl, 62, was heading into the final year of a contract that paid him $4.5 million annually. Denver had the option to pick up a three-year extension on his contract, but Karl was receptive to the idea of modifying the terms and length of the extension, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne.

A source with knowledge of the situation told Shelburne one of the primary issues the Nuggets had with Karl was his reluctance to play young center JaVale McGee, whom they had signed to a four-year, $44 million extension in the offseason.

@1of1...thoughts?

Comments

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol I was just giving you a late pass in the NBA thread. I ain't mad though. Like I said in there things have to be shaken up to change our fortune in the long run.

I give major respect to Karl for making the Nuggets a perennial playoff team (they'be been trash for the majority of their history). They can't settle with consistent mediocrity, and some new voices are needed.

I'm hoping for a coach who is a bit more authoritative and can help develop more structure (Nuggets have had no real structure to fall back on in Karl's system which would lead to disappointment in the more closely contested games).

Karl did a great job of developing a style that masked our deficiencies bit as everyone obviously knows it's only so long you can pretend come Playoff time.

Team is in desperate need of shooters so we need more than just a solid coach.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    damn even after winning COTY
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the good ol days Jerry Buss would be on the phone with his agent right now. Smh @ Lakers having to deal with his son not habing that go getter mentality
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bottom line. in 9 years wit DEN.. only ONE trip out of the first round.. they say he a good coach.. but hey we all know its about getting it done and he didnt.. no diss
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Before Galinari got hurt they were the hottest team in the league
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ironic as hell if he goes to Toronto a few days after they signed Ujiri (who also left Denver right after he won executive of the year).

What Denver needs is an offensive minded coach cause most of the players on that current roster are not defensive minded. And to answer one of the posters post about Brian Shaw he's more of a better fit with Detroit.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NBA is the most disrespectful league toward coaches.

And it's not a coincidence that most of the championship teams are the ones whose front office allows their coaches to demand their respect -- from them and the players.

Most of these NBA coaches that get fired were walking on egg-shells anyway because they were scared to call out top players. smh

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    Lol I was just giving you a late pass in the NBA thread. I ain't mad though. Like I said in there things have to be shaken up to change our fortune in the long run.

I give major respect to Karl for making the Nuggets a perennial playoff team (they'be been trash for the majority of their history). They can't settle with consistent mediocrity, and some new voices are needed.

I'm hoping for a coach who is a bit more authoritative and can help develop more structure (Nuggets have had no real structure to fall back on in Karl's system which would lead to disappointment in the more closely contested games).

Karl did a great job of developing a style that masked our deficiencies bit as everyone obviously knows it's only so long you can pretend come Playoff time.

Team is in desperate need of shooters so we need more than just a solid coach.

You sad :.....(
  • Carthaginian
    Carthaginian Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black head coach syndrome
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Coach of the year curse. He'll be fine. I'm sure he aint broke.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smart move he was never going to win a ship.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »
    Ironic as hell if he goes to Toronto a few days after they signed Ujiri (who also left Denver right after he won executive of the year).

What Denver needs is an offensive minded coach cause most of the players on that current roster are not defensive minded. And to answer one of the posters post about Brian Shaw he's more of a better fit with Detroit.

No. The Nuggets are in desperate need of a culture change.

12-13: 106.1 ppg rank 1st
    11-12: 104 and change rank 1st
    10-11: 107.5 ppg rank 1st
    09-10: 106.5 ppg rank 3rd

All these highest scoring team in the league seasons don't mean ? .

The roster desperately needs shooters believe it or not. The Nuggets got their buckets by storming the paint and getting offensive rebounds (rank 1st in the league) and put backs.

It was a pesky defense...believe it or not. Ranked #2 in steals and #3 in blocks. No, that doesn't make it a good defense.

All these stats point to a good team that hustles and works hard for everything...they go hard and put pressure on any team who isn't ready for the onslaught.

The lack of structure, organization, and an authoritative presence that stresses versatility, discipline, and prepares the team for strategy adjustment instead of just having them play all out ? ball was their undoing.

I want a no nonsense, defensive-minded, if you're bullshitting on defense get the ? out type of coach. You don't look at the roster and just concede that a necessary component for winning when it counts should just be an afterthought. And they can play to their strengths and push the ball on offense, but the coach has to be adept enough to develop more reliable offensive sets over the course of the season.

We needed ? Andre Miller to start backing ? down constantly just to steal game one. They closed off the lane and Richard Pryor was ALL we had @ the point. Damn shame.