Any Castlevania fans?

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lords of Shadows 2 looks pretty epic. It's not Dark Souls 2, but I guess it will hold me over til that one comes out.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-releasing-in-winter

Comments

• stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still gotta finish the first LOS but yeah, that long-ass trailer for part 2 was dope.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Castlevania is dope. I prefer the metroidvania style games (sotn) over the 3-d ones.

Didn't really like LOS gameplay that much. Cut scenes and story were very good though
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    You didn't like the gameplay? Why not? I thought it was great. Plenty of combat action with some 3D style platforming thrown in for good measure. What would you have preferred?
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Castlevania II was one of the first games to really hook me and I've been a big fan ever since. Never played LoS though. Only 3D CV's I played were Lament of Innocence & Curse of Darkness.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    Options
    You didn't like the gameplay? Why not? I thought it was great. Plenty of combat action with some 3D style platforming thrown in for good measure. What would you have preferred?

Just didn't feel like a CV game to me. I liked Curse of Darkness much better.

• The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Castlevania II was one of the first games to really hook me and I've been a big fan ever since. Never played LoS though. Only 3D CV's I played were Lament of Innocence & Curse of Darkness.

I like Lament of Innocence. LoS is better though. You should check it out when you get a chance.

Just didn't feel like a CV game to me. I liked Curse of Darkness much better.

I've heard people hold that opinion before, but it just never made much sense to me. You say you like the Metroidvania games, but to me those were just as big a departure from games like 1, 3, and 4 as the 3D games are. And people for get that the CV "style" was already pretty much broken with 2. So there really isn't a easily defined CV style.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I've heard people hold that opinion before, but it just never made much sense to me. You say you like the Metroidvania games, but to me those were just as big a departure from games like 1, 3, and 4 as the 3D games are. And people for get that the CV "style" was already pretty much broken with 2. So there really isn't a easily defined CV style.

Yes but the core gameplay is still the same in the metroidvania games and the original NES titles. Curse of Darkness was basically a 3-d SOTN with its rpg elements and exploration. LOS threw all that out the window in favor of ? of War style gameplay mashed with Shadow of the Colossus. I don't think it was a bad game. Like I said it just didn't feel like I was playing a CV game, at all.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Yes but the core gameplay is still the same in the metroidvania games and the original NES titles. Curse of Darkness was basically a 3-d SOTN with its rpg elements and exploration. LOS threw all that out the window. LOS was ? of War style gameplay mashed with Shadow of the Colossus. I don't think it was a bad game. Like I said it just didn't feel like I was playing a CV game, at all.

Ok, we can agree to disagree. I'm not saying that LoS wasn't different. It was. I just feel like it's no bigger a departure than SotN. SotN had some similarities to the first Castlevanias, but it had a lot that made it feel like something completely different.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yeah CV II deviated from the norm right away that's part of what hooked me. It was The Adventure of Link of the early CV games. So did Bloodlines (very underrated) and the earlier GB titles (which weren't very good). We haven't seen a more traditional type of CV game in quite a long time. I think the last traditional CV was Dracula X now that I think about it.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    Options
    Yeah CV II deviated from the norm right away that's part of what hooked me. It was The Adventure of Link of the early CV games. So did Bloodlines (very underrated) and the earlier GB titles (which weren't very good). We haven't seen a more traditional type of CV game in quite a long time. I think the last traditional CV was Dracula X now that I think about it.

The actually remade one of the GB games for wii, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth. It's really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0gJizBKTEY
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Symphony Of The Night is/was GOAT. I owned the japanese version for the sega saturn way back when. LOS is epic as well. The game was a ? to play, but the lore and story is entertaining in itself. The manga that could of been I'd say. But, it's better than saying game that could of been, right?

I'm hoping this sequel turns out great. Hopefully, some original concepts along with playing as Dracula himself.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    How do you justify making Dracula the "hero" of a game? By making the Devil the "villain." lol
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ive had SOTN on my PS3 for like 3 years but never played it lol
  • Broddie
    Options

The actually remade one of the GB games for wii, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth. It's really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0gJizBKTEY

I had no idea that even existed. Reminds me of the Castlevania Chronicles (original CV remake) for PSX.
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Options
    One thing this series never gets enough credit for is having some of the greatest soundtracks in the history of the industry. Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in particular.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Symphony Of The Night is/was GOAT. I owned the japanese version for the sega saturn way back when. LOS is epic as well. The game was a ? to play, but the lore and story is entertaining in itself. The manga that could of been I'd say. But, it's better than saying game that could of been, right?

I'm hoping this sequel turns out great. Hopefully, some original concepts along with playing as Dracula himself.

I always wanted the Saturn version because you could play as Maria like in Dracula X. I was tight that she was never one of the easter egg characters for replay in the PSX one. Instead we had the damn Axe Armor which wasn't all that great. Couldn't even play as her in the Dracula X Chronicles version on PSP despite all the other unnecessary changes (dialogue, voice acting).

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    One thing this series never gets enough credit for is having some of the greatest soundtracks in the history of the industry. Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in particular.

Yeah you're right. The music is right up there with Final Fantasy when it comes to suiting the game.

• reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always had wanted to get into this series. Just never did because I rarely owned any of the systems it was on plus when I was younger the 2D never appealed to me. I do have one for the n64 though still lol.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Well if that's the only experience you have with the series then you should definitely try Lord of Shadows 1, because it is on a whole other level from that game.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heard about this game i def wanna check it out
  • Broddie
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Finished Los: Mirror of Fate this week. As a fan of the original timeline I was very impressed with how they condensed a lot of the key points from it in this new timeline with this game. Definitely gonna keep an eye out for LoS 2 now.