Rodman Says If Lebron Played In The 90's, He Would Be An Average Player

Options
MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
“If LeBron was playing in the late ’80s or early ’90s, he’d be just an average player.”

That is Dennis Rodman, talking about comparing LeBron James to Michael
Jordan.

“If Michael played today … really? If he played the game today at 28 years old, he would average 40 points a game, probably more….
“I’m just sick and tired of people always comparing him and Michael Jordan. It’s a whole different era, man.”

First off, that’s what we as fans do. We compare the greats of different eras, even though we know that it is inherently unfair to do so. Is LeBron greater in his era then Jordan in his? No. Or to be fair not yet as LeBron is 28, but LeBron will never be the cultural icon that Jordan was because MJ was the perfect storm of the right player at the right time for growing the game. But did Jordan change the game as much as Magic Johnson? Were either of them really greater in their era than Bill Russell in his?
These are barstool debates with no real answer. It’s fun to discuss, but it’s a meaningless hypothetical.

What I think is fair to say — LeBron in the 1990s would have been a great player. LeBron in any era would have been a great player. How great is up for debate, but he would not have been average. That’s overselling it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/07/rodman-says-if-lebron-played-in-the-early-1990s-hed-be-just-an-average-player/

Comments

• infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Wrong forum bruh lol.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disagree.. the perception would change somewhat though
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bron would prolly be a power forward if he played in the 90s.

prolly a shawn kemp type, maybe he could get to karl malone status
    if he worked hard enough at his game.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rodman tripping
  • woah316
    woah316 Members Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Lmao.... Rodman is probably right.

With the mentality tough era that was the 80's and 90's... I think the main thing would hold Lebron back from excelling was his mental weakness...

Imagine Isaiah "freezing" Lebron out like he did Jordan.... Dude might've killed hiimself...

Not as an athlete... Not even about skill.... But being mentally weak would've been Lebron's undoing in those past era's, so I sort of agree.

He would've been on maybe a Karl Malone type of level... Losing 2 or 3 finals to Jordan... Or never getting in the finals if he was in the Eastern Conference.
  • woah316
    Options
    Bron would prolly be a power forward if he played in the 90s.

prolly a shawn kemp type, maybe he could get to karl malone status
    if he worked hard enough at his game.

EXACTLY what I said... Karl Malone status, perhaps a tad better.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'm glad this thread was made, now I can remember to ignore anyone's opinon in the future who takes a Dennis Rodman opinion seriously...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CC_Poncho wrote: »
    I'm glad this thread was made, now I can remember to ignore anyone's opinon in the future who takes a Dennis Rodman opinion seriously...

LMAO! Dude is all up in his feelings. You really love you some Lebron, huh?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think Lebron would be average, but you're crazy if you don't think playing in an era where the defense can rough you up would make a difference. A big part of Lebron's physical advantage comes from being able to bowl over the defense knowing that if a foul is called it most likely will be on the defender. You don't think his game would be hurt to some degree by the fact that a defender could muscle him a little more without having to worry about getting a call.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CC_Poncho wrote: »

LMAO! Dude is all up in his feelings. You really love you some Lebron, huh?

And this boys and girls is what we call an "over-reaction"...
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    woah316 wrote: »

With the mentality tough era that was the 80's and 90's... I think the main thing would hold Lebron back from excelling was his mental weakness...

Imagine Isaiah "freezing" Lebron out like he did Jordan.... Dude might've killed hiimself...

Not as an athlete... Not even about skill.... But being mentally weak would've been Lebron's undoing in those past era's, so I sort of agree.

He would've been on maybe a Karl Malone type of level... Losing 2 or 3 finals to Jordan... Or never getting in the finals if he was in the Eastern Conference.

but if lebron grew up in the same era as jordan he would act different. homes grew up in the 90s pretty much. I grew up in the 90's and being an athlete was changing. The contracts by the lat 90's were all up thanks to jordans impact and league progress to get better tv deals which is why players don't have chips on their shoulders as much. also the AAU era and expanded nike/addidias/pro player camps were available. All these factors made dudes be less agressive and befriend other star players they would play against in the NBA in the future. Likewise sponsors were bringing players on rival teams together at seminars and media events. That ain't happen in Jordans time as much as now.

And his important high school years were early 2000's. The game was changing and rules came into effect post palace of auburn hills (while bron was in HS) that changed on court interactions. if there were scrums and brawls and lets say bron was playing during jordans time lebron would be one of the biggest enforcers. ? even the bad boy pistons would be scared of lebron. lebron is linebackter status many of those big men in the 90's didn't have the muscle mass and had less weight on them overal.
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think Lebron would be average, but you're crazy if you don't think playing in an era where the defense can rough you up would make a difference. A big part of Lebron's physical advantage comes from being able to bowl over the defense knowing that if a foul is called it most likely will be on the defender. You don't think his game would be hurt to some degree by the fact that a defender could muscle him a little more without having to worry about getting a call.

although that would work to his advantage when Bron was on defense
    he would be a problem

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    First off, Lebron skills aren't impressive at all, so stop acting like we're talking about Kobe or Jordan or some ? . Secondly, he'd still have the same physical advantage that he has now, so he would get busy the same way.

What people don't understand is great is great. Every great player can play in any era and get busy. That goes for the Bob Cousys all the way to the Allen Iversons, from Bill Russell to Duncan.

There's just a certain knowledge of the game, that all great players have that allows them to adjust to any circumstance (in due time).
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dumb ? ? me with this "mentally weak" theory

? are certified, PhD-holding sports psychiatrists I see

And lol @ rodman cross-dressing ass. If Lebron played in the 90s he wouldn't be the face of the league like he is now, he'd still be an allstar though.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bron would get lockdown @ the PF position due to hand checking, players back then make the pacers big men look weak..... Melo would have the most success (as far as scoring) out of the new era players if he played in the 90s or late 80s
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

although that would work to his advantage when Bron was on defense
    he would be a problem

True.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I think Rodman would have been an average player in this era bcuz his lack of offensive skills would be exploited.

See what happens when anybody voices their opinion like Rodman and myself. It really don't mean ? . It's just an opinion.
  • woah316
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

but if lebron grew up in the same era as jordan he would act different. homes grew up in the 90s pretty much. I grew up in the 90's and being an athlete was changing. The contracts by the lat 90's were all up thanks to jordans impact and league progress to get better tv deals which is why players don't have chips on their shoulders as much. also the AAU era and expanded nike/addidias/pro player camps were available. All these factors made dudes be less agressive and befriend other star players they would play against in the NBA in the future. Likewise sponsors were bringing players on rival teams together at seminars and media events. That ain't happen in Jordans time as much as now.

And his important high school years were early 2000's. The game was changing and rules came into effect post palace of auburn hills (while bron was in HS) that changed on court interactions. if there were scrums and brawls and lets say bron was playing during jordans time lebron would be one of the biggest enforcers. ? even the bad boy pistons would be scared of lebron. lebron is linebackter status many of those big men in the 90's didn't have the muscle mass and had less weight on them overal.

"But if Bron grew up in a different era he would act different" ..... *facepalm*....

I can say, if he grew up in a different era, he would be weaker and smaller because all the nutrition wouldn't be the same......

Hell, I can say he'd be 5'8 because he would have a different daddy with different nut in a different era.......

? , we talking about take this ? player as he is, and stick him in a different era, what happens.... No more if ands or maybe...

In a different era, dad's handled they responsibilities more, so he would have a daddy in a different era... A daddy that might wanted him to play football instead, so he wouldn't even be in the NBA.... blah blah blah blah.

Take the ? for what he is.
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IF the Heat lose this series and Lebron under performs again, he can expect a flood of similar comments
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

"But if Bron grew up in a different era he would act different" ..... *facepalm*....

I can say, if he grew up in a different era, he would be weaker and smaller because all the nutrition wouldn't be the same......

Hell, I can say he'd be 5'8 because he would have a different daddy with different nut in a different era.......

? , we talking about take this ? player as he is, and stick him in a different era, what happens.... No more if ands or maybe...

In a different era, dad's handled they responsibilities more, so he would have a daddy in a different era... A daddy that might wanted him to play football instead, so he wouldn't even be in the NBA.... blah blah blah blah.

Take the ? for what he is.

"I want to do fantasy hypothetical situations but the way I wanna do it, not the way YOU wanna do it!"

2zxtm9z.gif