Is Will And Jaden Smith’s ‘After Earth’ Being Sabotaged By Racists?

Options
UPTOWN
UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
edited June 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
Jun 4, 2013 By Abena Agyeman-Fisher

after-earth-1a.jpg

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT! This past weekend, Will and Jaden Smith's "After Earth" premiered, and while moviegoers at the theater I attended clapped while the credits rolled, many critics and commenters alike have blasted the movie, saying that they essentially are disgusted by Will Smith's "nepotism" and "exercise in vanity" by headlining with his son.

In the below article, I argue that this sudden "disgust" is actually racist because many of the commenters, who have commented across news and blogs sites across the Internet, admit to refusing to see the movie.

But why all the drama?

I argue that both Hollywood and White America are accustomed to allowing ONE Black person to enjoy the limelight at the time. Will Smith is clearly one of those beneficiaries. But as soon as Blacks take control over their power and begin to OWN our success, we are shut down. Just think of all of the backlash Oprah received when she decided to ditch her talk show and think bigger with OWN. Quote:

"For the longest, Hollywood and White America has historically crowned one Black male the darling of the times. Whether it was Sidney Poitier or Bill Cosby or Denzel Washington, I know I’m not alone in noticing that there is usually one Black media darling allowed to exist at a time. Obviously, this list extends beyond acting. Just check for Oprah or Michael Jordon. All of these individuals appeared to be given access AT A TIME.

"But the idea that we can have SEVERAL or MANY Blacks of note dominating the media at the same time has always been a no-no.
More to the point, how DARE Will Smith think he can anoint his son prince without [Hollywood's or White America's] permission?
"

Will you support "After Earth" and do you think some people's refusal to watch the movie is racist?

Support the movie.

It’s high time that we stop allowing others to determine when we can be allowed to break through the glass ceiling, and it’s high time that we know that just as Whites in this country have been able to secure futures for their offspring, we can too.
Sound off!

http://newsone.com/2530136/after-earth-movie-review-racism/

Comments