Has Floyd Mayweather had a tougher fight, than the 07 bout he had with De La Hoya?

Options
international
international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
I believe that to be the toughest fight that Floyd has and will ever have in his career.

Agree/disagree.

Who y'all think gave or could give Floyd a harder fight than Oscar did in 07?

Comments

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • international
    edited June 2013
    Options
    De La hoya wasnt a tough fight... watch that ? again.. Oscar won a max two round i have my scorecard somewhere..

The glee of the partisan crowd/ commentators reacted to activity.. instead of effectiveness.

From the fights i seen.. Castillo was his toughest. both times..

8-4 the first.. 7- 5 the second

? Cotto was tougher.. than him..

Castillo fight was tough, Cotto don't rate too much becuz Floyd was clearly uncomfortable with the weight and didn't utilise his defence like he usually does, his father wasn't in his corner then and he wanted to beat him at his own game...he did fight a much older De La Hoya, who was past his peak and on the verge of retirement, and was also dealing with alcoholism at the time...
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think Oscar was a threat at all in that fight. IMO I think it was Castillo but Money has been on record saying he feels it is Emanuel Augustus.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The cotto fight
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Castillo 1 was clearly his toughest fight though he doesnt want to admit it.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JMM fight was his toughest bout.
  • international
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of ? that you say on here, but def can't co-sign that, that fight was my fav performance by Money, coming off a long break, that woud be the fight that i would use to illustrate what a pure dominating boxing performance looks like.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe Cotto...
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

buttuh_b wrote: »

That ? was a wipeout
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lock this thread
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mayweather-De La Hoya was the last fight I paid to see
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe that to be the toughest fight that Floyd has and will ever have in his career.

Agree/disagree.

Who y'all think gave or could give Floyd a harder fight than Oscar did in 07?

i think this may have been the one of the most exciting fight.. dela hoya was THROWING hella punces but wasnt landing ? .. i remember watching it live and the highlights later on...

i like the fight with mosley after mosley tagged money good in one of those rounds.. then money went to work on his ass... **casual fan post**
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Augustus, Castillo, Jesus Chavez, Zab,Corley Cotto fights all were harder than Oscar.... unless u count missing all ring and bs flurries trying to steal rounds tough fighting
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Augustus, Castillo, Jesus Chavez, Zab,Corley Cotto fights all were harder than Oscar.... unless u count missing all ring and bs flurries trying to steal rounds tough fighting

came in to say this exactly I think both Floyd and Roger have said that the Augustus fight was his toughest the first Castillo fight was tough but I attribute that to the injury he dominated the second fight I think the first half of the Zab Judah was the toughest and also one of my favorite fights of Floyd you could literally see him figure him out, adjust, and dominate it was a beautiful display of tactics

• edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zab brought the best out in Floyd
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oscar tried to use the same tactic that Leonard used against Hagler...this time it did not work
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seen every Floyd fight since 04ish

That was not a 'tough' fight.

I'd say Cotto just from a 'damage done to Floyd' perspective. No one has come close to beating him in recent years, tho.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Mayweatehr vs Del Ahoya wasn't even that close, Del Ahoya just made it look close with his ? late flurries at the end of every round to make it look like he-won-that-round-just-to-steal-? he been doing since he fought Mosley and b4 that . Psychologically if you look at those highlights you see Mayweather flailing blocking all of Del Ahoya shots as Del Ahoya charges him, but Mayweather systematically picked Del Ahoya a part imo from a pure technical point of view. That being said Del Ahoya was definitely not in his prime or on the way down at least.

Since that fight tho, probably Cotto, but I think it was either poor game planning or Mayweather wasn't 100%, or maybe I'm not giving Cotto enough credit.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    Mayweatehr vs Del Ahoya wasn't even that close, Del Ahoya just made it look close with his ? late flurries at the end of every round to make it look like he-won-that-round-just-to-steal-? he been doing since he fought Mosley and b4 that . Psychologically if you look at those highlights you see Mayweather flailing blocking all of Del Ahoya shots as Del Ahoya charges him, but Mayweather systematically picked Del Ahoya a part imo from a pure technical point of view. That being said Del Ahoya was definitely not in his prime or on the way down at least.

Since that fight tho, probably Cotto, but I think it was either poor game planning or Mayweather wasn't 100%, or maybe I'm not giving Cotto enough credit.

Mayweather fought Cotto that way because he wanted to.. he did the same thing he did in the OMAR HENRY sparring session.. however.. that was the most complete cotto in terms of boxing that ive ever seen.. he always fought more than he had too but he boxed very well that night.. In spite of how i think Mayweather chose to fight that fight
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Lol @ Del Ahoya. King, you doing that on purpose or something?
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ Del Ahoya. King, you doing that on purpose or something?

I was gonna say something , but I didn't know if it was an inside joke since I hardly visit the boxing thread bcuz of the 2 million posts.
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree that Cotto was at his best he wouldve gave Manny more of a fight in that form.

Cause Manny sure did ? him up something furious.

• international
    Options
    ^^^^Yeah Cotto been one of the most talented fighters in the division, for a while, can't help but think that with a better team, he would have been in a better position...Yall trippin with the Jab fight, yall need to go watch that ? again, he made that ? look easy, Jab's ? ass even had to throw a low blow and hit him in the back of the head, smh...Yeah he came out tough in the first few rounds, Mayweather soon dissected the ? and was picking him apart. Easy!